Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Live Performance You Have Ever Seen!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 17:08
Until Monday, I'd have said Runrig's gig at Barrowlands in 2007.

But after seeing Camel at the Royal Albert Hall, I think they've taken the crown.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 11:31
That's a tough one....been seeing shows since 1969.....Tull in 1974 was great as was The Who that same year...really enjoyed Crimson in the 90's at two different venues in Chicago.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Crimsonsnowdog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crimsonsnowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 14:07
My favorite live shows were:

The Who 25th Anniversary Tour- This was my first concert which was at RFK Stadium in DC. They played for 3 1/2 hours, about 40 songs, and Pete Townsend even played his solo songs during the intermission. Possibly one of the most funs shows I've been to. People were hitting beach balls in the stands, and a rainbow was projected over the stadium for Love Reign O'er Me. One of my fondest and most vivid concert memories. Only negative was there was a drunken girl vomiting behind me through half the show.

Rush R40 Tour- This was my third time seeing Rush. The first two were from the Presto and Roll the Bones tours, but this was definitely my favorite of the three. I saw them in Philly as they performed songs starting with the Clockwork Angels album and went chronologically back in time to the first Rush Album. While I definitely liked the second half of the show more, I though the first half was still pretty good. I liked all the  songs they played except Animate Me and One Little Victory were only okay. Still the first half was very energetic and engaging, as they ended on Subdivisions. I really enjoyed the second half, while they played most of my favorites, including Natural Science, Jacob's Ladder, Hemispheres(Prelude), Xanadu, Cygnus X-1, about half of 2112, and Working Man. They played for about 2 and 1/2 hours and like most Rush concerts has some fun videos as well.

King Crimson- I have seen them three times, but my favorite of the three was when I drove to Red Bank, New Jersey on the last show of the 2017 American summer tour.  Seeing all eight musicians on stage, performing most of the classics with precision is an amazing experience. They played for almost three hours and the highlights included Red, Fallen Angel, Epitaph, Cirkus, Lizard,  Starless, 21st Century Schizoid man,and my favorite King Crimson song next to Starless, Fracture. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen them.

Dweezil Zappa- I saw him with his band last April performing  his father, Frank's material at the Hamilton in DC. The venue was intimate which held only about 400 people, and the staff waiting on you for food and drinks like a restaurant. They played for three hours, more than 30 songs, had some dialogue during Flakes, and switched instruments and did some intrigiung things during Pound for a Brown, similar to Funny Ways from Gentle Giant. One of the most fun concerts I've been to, and I would definitely recommend people see him.

Ween- I saw them back in 1998 on The Mollusk Tour at the 9:30 club in Washington DC. Even Though the 9:30 club isn't the greatest venue, the show was great. They played for at least 2 and 1/2 hours, took a few fan song requests and I consider the Mollusk to be their last good album as the albums that came after were just okay, so they played all their best material.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 14:18
gotta be seeing Dave Brubeck at NMU ...  like 20 people there. Amazing performance and afterward he took the time to meet and talk with all of us... made for a very special evening which I still remember fondly... and getting my world absolutely rocked later by this yooper I was on a first date with didn't exactly hurt with the memory either hahah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 17:33
I'm amazed this thread has only gone three pages since 2/17. This thing should have had legs. Anyway, I went to this concert by Ultravox in the early '80s (why they ain't in the 'Archives is beyond me) in a place called Montezuma Hall at San Diego State University (the school mascot is an Aztec - get it?). This must have been after their album Quartet was released. A terrific show with Vienna being performed towards the end. Just beautifully, too.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 18:32
Seeing Magma live in 1999 in San Francisco was a religious experience. They’d been a favorite band of mine for most of the decade and I had never dreamed I’d see them live. But the physicality of the music was even more overwhelming in person than it is on the live albums. Absolutely a high point in my life.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 18:51
So many shows over the years, so many fine and memorable performances, but my top five best live performances, in order of witnessing:

19 June 1974  King Crimson at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, CA

16 January 1977  Jethro Tull at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles, CA  3rd row, center.  We spent a night outside at the venue to get tickets along with other hardy concert-goers.  A janitor joked, "Who's coming, Jesus Christ?" in the morning as he passed us by...

Summer 1986  Several days rehearsal with all of the original Buffalo Springfield members at Stephen Still's home in the San Fernando Valley, CA  (Not really a "live" show, per se, but yes, wow!)

10 September 1999 Richard Thompson with full band, Mock Tudor tour at The Luther Burbank Center in Santa Rosa, CA

23 March 2016  Loreena McKennitt Trio at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall in Portland, OR.  Especially memorable also for departed company

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 06:59
Hi,

On a posting on the TD website, someone was saying that there will be a box set of TD that will be remastered and remixed by Steven Wilson.

I shudder and cringed at that thought. Now, if it said that Richard Barbieri was going to do, I would have gone head over heels all around it ... but SW is a rock guy, and has no feel for a symphonic sound other than a little bit here and there for show ... otherwise his material is about his voice and his leads! End of that story!

Scared me, but SW is a well known "fan" of TD and KS, and he shows up in a KS DVD talking about "progressive" something or other (and saying nothing, btw!), but in the next segment of the DVD there is one where two technicians are talking to KS about a little change to add something to the DVD that you and I will NEVER EVER find, or hear ... and that slight change is wow ... you've got to be kidding me ... and that is the type of thing that I sincerely doubt that SW can come up with and improve on in various bits and pieces ... if he did, he would have remixed and remastered some of the PT catalogue so it would improve, but he probably would bury the keyboards even more ... the keyboards in his solo material are secondary and only come up for a minute and down they go again to stay secondary ... they do not "drive" the music, like it does in TD and KS.

Writing about all this reminded me that as much as I have been lucky enough to see ... there is none better, EVER than Tangerine Dream ... and you can catch any of the shows in the past 30 years to realize that this band was special and totally off its rocker ... amazing! The quality alone is insane, and if there is anything that could use a little remixing and remastering, it would be some of the live shows, otherwise, I would like to suggest that SW should stay home and play with his toys on his own work.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 12:20
Meatloaf - Bad Attitude - 1985

I never liked Meatloaf. That was, until my cousin took me to see him perform live ! 

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2018 at 12:46
Teaze-spring 1977 at my high school in Prescott, Ontario

Rose-spring 1978 at my high school in Prescott, Ontario

Rush with Max Webster-Ottawa Civic Centre, spring 1978

Styx with Prism-Ottawa Civic Centre-March 1977

Pat Travers with The Outlaws-Dec. 1978, Massey Hall in Toronto

ELP, Ottawa Congress Centre, Jan. 1993
nateliv View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nateliv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 06:56
The best performance i have ever seen is “Phantom of the Opera” I saw it a few years ago and it was fantastic. Everything from the scenery to the acting and music was really good. Everything about the play was awesome, the plot especially. There wasn’t one time during the play when I was bored or not having fun watching. Sometime later this month I am seeing “Spiderman” although the reviews i have read aren’t vey good, I am still excited to see it.

Edited by nateliv - February 10 2023 at 09:13
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 07:49
Easily, Yes "Close to the Edge" tour,  September 22, 1972:  Yes with The Eagles, Arie Crown Theater, Chicago.  

Squire looked just like this, he inspired me to pick up the Rickenbacker bass & I never looked back.

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
concertlane View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Indian Drake Freakout aka SPAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concertlane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2018 at 05:44
I had the opportunity to go to Drake's concert in Ottawa. It was a standout amongst the most awesome shows for me. I enjoyed a lot. Drake is again back with his concerts in the USA. You can buy cheap Drake concert tickets at here and goodbye spam.

Edited by DamoXt7942 - December 26 2018 at 16:12
Cylli Kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 02:38
Victor Wooten - Yin-Yang/Live in America Tour at First Ave, Minneapolis
David Sylvian - Secrets of the Beehive Tour at The (Original Walker Art Center) Guthrie Theater, Minneapolis

Those two shows just knocked me senseless...

Edited by Cylli Kat - December 27 2018 at 02:53
[Insert Clever Phrase Here]
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 06:14
Totally impossible to limit it to one. I can't even remember half the gigs I've been to.
rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 06:34
Pink Floyd back in 1994 in Berlin at the "Division Bell" Tour ... that was just the most spectular thing i've seen yet ..
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 13:13
I just can't limit this to one so here are my top 5 in chronological order Wink

1) Yes/Gentle Giant : 1976 : Cow Palace, Daly City (near SF)
2) Jethro Tull/Uriah Heep : 1978 : Oakland Arena
3) Robert Fripp : 1979 : Tower Records, Campbell CA (Frippertronics tour)
4) Peter Gabriel/Random Hold : 1980 : San Jose Civic Auditorium
5) Peter Hammill : 1990 : Slims, San Francisco (Room Temperature Live tour)
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 22:48
I've seen a lot of great shows, but these were my 5 faves:

Magma, Seattle, 2015
Tangerine Dream, Seattle, 1986
Jean-Michel Jarre, San Francisco, 2017
Camel, Stuttgart, 1997
Peter Gabriel, Seattle, 2002

TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 15:55

For me visiting a concert has always been the ultimate level in the beloved prog experience: first looking at the cover and the lyrics, then listening to the music, and finally watching the band, music and visuals become more than the sum of the parts, prog on stage is an extra dimension! 

Here's my Prog Top 10:

Yes - Going For The One tour in 1977 : Wakeman with his vintage keyboards on 3 stages, Squire and his triple-neck bass and Howe with his guitar museum, playing unforgettable versions of Close To The Edge and Awaken, I had just become 17 but I have still very vivid memories of this legendary gig.

Pink Floyd - The Wall in 1980 Earls Court, London (highlight Gilmour on top of the wall playing his mindlbowing solo during Comfortably Numb)

The Musical Box (best ever Genesis tribute band) - The Lamb tour in 2013 (many progheads who had seen the original show considered this one as better)

Peter Gabriel - Werchter Pop in 1983, what a fascinating performer, and what a great atmosphere between the band and the crowd.

Marillion - Fugazi tour in 1984 (the band at its pinnacle, both artistically as visually, and a balanced and inspired unit)

Rush - R30 tour in 2004 PLaying again in The Netherlands after many years, so inspired, humorous, and exciting

Anekdoten - Uden (2008) magical, an unique blend of symphonic rock and psychedelia, lots of exciting improvisations, also on the Mighty Tron!

Jean-Michel Jarre - Electronica World Tour in 2016 - Exciting setlist with lots of early work, and mindblowing visuals.

Steve Hackett - Spectral Mornings tour in 1981, spectacular start with his Roland guitar synthesizer and only one spotlight from behind, magical.

Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself 35th anniversary tour in 2017 - WOW!

Edited by TenYearsAfter - June 26 2019 at 11:21
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2019 at 18:28
Surely Bruce Springsteen, great rock for four hours. 
"Happiness is real only when shared"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>