FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 300301302303304 434>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 22:43
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I think the biggest takeaway is that 45 signaled that white supremacists should "stand by."  And Biden kept turning the discussion to the people, not 45 or himself.  
And I did like how he repeatedly faced the camera to make those points, talking to the people and not to Wallace or Trump.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 23:56
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I think the biggest takeaway is that 45 signaled that white supremacists should "stand by."  And Biden kept turning the discussion to the people, not 45 or himself.  

I'm not sure if that qualifies as a "dog whistle" or not but it's pretty obvious at this point he doesn't want to lose his supporters even if his supporters happen to be of dubious character(like the proud boys or whoever). Biden on the other hand never claimed to support antifa or anyone who wasn't involved with peaceful protests.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 00:41
That was the trailer trash old folks show.
Things were pretty heated around the burning trash can.

I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was absolutely hilarious.

Apparently there's talk about possibly turning off the microphones at certain moments, which is usually not the point during a debate, I always thought. But desperate times. I can't help imagining this happening and Trump taking over Biden's mike after bopping him out of the way at the podium. Then the show would be all his while Biden is taken away on a stretcher with a broken hip.

What did it actually mean when Trump told his Nazis to stand by?

Edited by npjnpj - September 30 2020 at 00:57
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 03:52
A very, very loud dog whistle to the deplorables in his base. And as long as they support him he will never denounce them.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 03:57
I read and see all sorts of statements and interviews by and from a lot of US democrat senators and politicians, and all I can think is: Why Joe Biden? Why?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 05:09
^ Why Biden? Because he's a middle of the road centrist and likeable. Bernie and Warren had their fans but not the support of all Dems. Btw, Biden did a good job. He didn't petter out and handled an ass like Trump as well as he could. He didn't lose votes and gained some with the swing voters. And he didn't lose his temper.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 06:20
I suppose so, but I can't help wishing for someone a little less laid back. It didn't look good when he couldn't get through on anything at all. I believe that Kamala Harris or even AOC could have done a better job at stopping Trump in his tracks every now and again.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 06:46
I don't want someone who's a loose canon like Trump. Laid back and measured is fine with me and used to be the old normal. Remember?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 07:08
Last night's sh*t show was a circus in which an orange-tinged elephant shat all over the stage. An absolute embarrassment for the U.S.

I've seen better, more mature debates on playgrounds during fistfights between 12 year olds. Biden won simply because he seemed to be the only adult on the stage.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 07:10
The debate was shameful. Donald the bully was in rare form. The most interesting thing out of his mouth was calling Biden a number two. Referring to poop.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 07:25
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Last night's sh*t show was a circus in which an orange-tinged elephant shat all over the stage. An absolute embarrassment for the U.S.

I've seen better, more mature debates on playgrounds during fistfights between 12 year olds. Biden won simply because he seemed to be the only adult on the stage.
Exactly Greg. Biden is no master debater and never will be. What many of the anti Trump crowd want is an adult in the White House, not the self centered brat that we have in there now. Biden did everything he had to do to keep the edge he has. And make no mistake about it. Trump hit him with some hard blows such as Biden ducking the law And order issues or just gliding over them. And Trump was convincing about Biden shutting down the economy in order to tackle the virus. A blatant lie, but it stuck with some people.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 09:02
I think what some people seem to be forgetting is that Joe Biden was vice president for eight years under one of the most popular presidents in recent history. 

As for Trump it seems like the only trick up his sleeve is acting like a jr. high school boy who's angry at the world because the girl he likes is going out with the captain of the football team. He can only resort to insults because he has no real intellect.

Also, Biden might not be the best debater but he's still better than Trump. I'm pretty sure there's no "remember to interrupt and insult the other debater" rule on debate teams.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 30 2020 at 09:05
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 09:11
Actually, the girl he likes is married to his son in law.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 09:47
What did it actually mean when Trump told his Nazis to stand by?

That could be interpreted in different ways. It could just mean for them to get ready in a general way. Or it could mean more specifically to be ready for retaliation in case Trump is not the winner in which case Trump will have a hissy fit and need extra protection.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 30 2020 at 09:50
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 09:47
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

As for Trump it seems like the only trick up his sleeve is acting like a jr. high school boy who's angry at the world because the girl he likes is going out with the captain of the football team. He can only resort to insults because he has no real intellect.

Sigmund would have been proud of you.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 09:50
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Sigmund would have been proud of you.

LOL

And  npjnpj also probably. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 30 2020 at 09:52
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 09:53
One habit I've found Americans have is that everything is examined in minute detail. 

I don't honestly think the debates will have much effect on the polls: everyone has made their minds up or aren't revealing who they're voting for. If you look at the 5 38 polls, Trump's popularity has actually gone up since his financial affairs were revealed, so it makes no sense at all. Given that he might be the first sitting president whose creditors foreclose on him for hundreds of millions of dollars, you'd think it'd have an adverse effect on his perceived ability to run a country, but, nope. Polls go the other way.

Short of appearing naked at a debate, going "Heil Hitler" and having a dump on the floor, Trump won't make himself any more or less popular by his actions. 

And I think it's too tight to call. If the results come in a few percentage points of each other, King Orange Donald the First will merely try and schmooze himself in again. Because he's up sh*t creek if he doesn't. 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 10:05
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

One habit I've found Americans have is that everything is examined in minute detail. 

I don't honestly think the debates will have much effect on the polls: everyone has made their minds up or aren't revealing who they're voting for. If you look at the 5 38 polls, Trump's popularity has actually gone up since his financial affairs were revealed, so it makes no sense at all. Given that he might be the first sitting president whose creditors foreclose on him for hundreds of millions of dollars, you'd think it'd have an adverse effect on his perceived ability to run a country, but, nope. Polls go the other way.

Short of appearing naked at a debate, going "Heil Hitler" and having a dump on the floor, Trump won't make himself any more or less popular by his actions. 

And I think it's too tight to call. If the results come in a few percentage points of each other, King Orange Donald the First will merely try and schmooze himself in again. Because he's up sh*t creek if he doesn't. 
Well, with both sides, all opinions are status quo. Biden has his followers no matter what, and the same with Trump. It's all a formality until election day.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 11:40
Ok, who's going to watch the second and third debates?

I know I will. (Inshallah.)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 11:43
 QUOTE=Davesax1965]One habit I've found Americans have is that everything is examined in minute detail. 

And I think it's too tight to call. If the results come in a few percentage points of each other, King Orange Donald the First will merely try and schmooze himself in again. Because he's up sh*t creek if he doesn't. [/QUOTE]

This is how another Limey sees it from our side of the pond.

That “debate” was an utter sh*tstorm, and, frankly, I despair at the choice Americans have to make in this election.

The attitude of paying less tax is one that has been all pervasive in both countries for a number of years, and Robert confirmed it in his post. My attitude? Not just a professional one, but if you accept that public services have to be paid for from public taxation, then it is a reasonable expectation that said public, all of them, pay the correct dues, no more, no less.

My feeling on last night is that Trumpalot will not have lost votes amongst his core support, but neither will he have gained much from any swing or independent voters. If enough of them are moving towards the cadaver named Biden, then he will win. However, dismiss Trump at your peril.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 300301302303304 434>