Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hawkwind vs Pink Floyd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kepler62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkwind vs Pink Floyd
    Posted: May 03 2017 at 05:07
I find Hawkwind infinitely more interesting. I find that I rarely put  any Pink Floyd on the turntable anymore. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 05:15
Hawkwind are one of those bands that I never got into...and they should be made for my tastes. Floyd on the other hand was my first real musical love.
I return to Hawkwind every once in a while - try out another album of theirs - but they have yet to grab me.

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 03 2017 at 05:15
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 07:34
I love Hawkwind but I wish Brock hadn't lost control of the catalogue in the early 80s to pay his tax bill.  That said, the period from Space Ritual up to Calvert's ejection from the band rivals the Floyd's output in terms of inventiveness.  Floyd were also very influential on them - and the complement was paid when Hawkwind covered Cymbeline.  Not a straight contest, by any means...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 08:24
It's a very close race for me. Hawkwind is an excellent band with a large and great discography, and Pink Floyd ranks very high as an innovative, pioneering brand in terms of sound and musical approach, so I'm a little puzzled to be honest. Maybe I'll go with Hawkwind, to give them some love, in a poll they will likely loose.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 08:43
Hawkwind gets my pick solely on the basis of Stacia's boobs Big smile
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
70sBoy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70sBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 08:52
Early Floyd would win for me but their later glossy surface loses it for me. Hawkwind have that edge to them that never faded.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 09:07
At this point, it's Hawkwind. I simply like more of their albums, while I've grown tired of some of Floyd's. WYWH lost a lot of its zip. I like Gilmour's first solo album better than anything by Floyd right now.

Hawkwind has tons of great music.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 10:05
PF
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 11:46
If there was a spot to vote, my vote would go to Hawkwind. I love 3-4 Floyd albums but they fell off a cliff for me when they released The Wall and never climbed back up. Hawkwind has had a lot of up and downs but a lot more ups and far more albums that I enjoy than Floyd.
PROGMATIC
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 12:16
yeah Floyd is great and all that...

Hawkwind though..  so much more fun and interesting to listen to.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 12:17
I know I'm not that drunk....  where's the poll man LOL
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 14:01
Atom Heart Mother and Live at Pompeii are among my favorite recordings ever, but Hawkwind has an enormous amount of better-then-average stuff I tend to return to. I like their nineties stuff a lot.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 14:11
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

If there was a spot to vote, my vote would go to Hawkwind. I love 3-4 Floyd albums but they fell off a cliff for me when they released The Wall and never climbed back up. Hawkwind has had a lot of up and downs but a lot more ups and far more albums that I enjoy than Floyd.

Something like this.
Hawkwind.
Shake & bake.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 14:47
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Hawkwind gets my pick solely on the basis of Stacia's boobs Big smile

That's the only reason I know Hawkwind Clap. Also Lemmy played with them.....Other than that I don't think I have a reason to visit their catalog.

The Floyd is enough for me.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 16:51
I prefer Stacia's boobs to both of these bands combined.
I used to like PF more back in the day.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 17:15
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hawkwind are one of those bands that I never got into...and they should be made for my tastes. Floyd on the other hand was my first real musical love.
I return to Hawkwind every once in a while - try out another album of theirs - but they have yet to grab me.

Exactly. PF in a landslide
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 18:04
slight edge to Hawkwind, as much because they managed to stay "underground" as because their music is more interesting
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kepler62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 18:34
Never saw Hawkwind live but some of their stage shows were really over the top. I just found Floyd too polished. Saw them on the Pulse tour. I dunno. Just like Progmatic I was disappointed when the Wall came out. That album never really cut it with me. Then there was The Final Cut. Really like Hawkwind's cover of interstellar Overdrive. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 18:48
Hawkwind are good at times but no match to Pjnk Floyd.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 20:00
Every once in awhile I try to get into Hawkwind, but nothing has ever clicked for me. And there's some stuff they've done that I've been genuinely repulsed by; they tend thrash a lot like Punk from what I've heard. I still enjoy Floyd, especially Saucerful of Secrets and Umma Gumma.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>