Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedjon and vangelis ( private collection )

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: jon and vangelis ( private collection )
    Posted: June 22 2017 at 14:30
just received and listened to the album,first off i have never heard of this album but i did own THE FRIENDS OF MR CARIO cd only song on that one i did not care for was BACK TO SCHOOL ,a little corny if you ask me i know you didn,t sorry.Anyways that been said PRIVATE COLLECTION is simply a breathtaking album of 6 tracks of what i would term a musical delight starting with the lovely ITALIAN SONG and ending with the absolute masterpiece right up there with CLOSE TO THE EDGE that,s right, i am talking about HORIZON ,a rare gem of record i own the remastered verision from none other than VANGELIS himself ,other noteworthy tracks are DEBORAH and the dreamlike HE IS SAILING thanks for taking time to read this as always would like other thoughts or input from fans or non fans alike
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 13:45
wow nobody cares about Jon and vangelis work, i thought this was progressive rock appreciation form >

Edited by grantman - June 23 2017 at 13:46
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 22:14
I know very little of Jon & Vangelis, but I always thought they were more similar to pop or soft music rather than prog. I heard a few songs from a Vangelis compilation album, and I really didn't like them at all. But on the other hand, I did get to know about Horizon (or at least I think it was that one, for it was a 20 min song or so) and checked it out on Youtube... I still would need to listen to it more, but I thought it was nice (not sure I would put it as a masterpiece without further listening). But yeah, I had thought about getting this album from them at least... yet time has passed and I haven't gotten into it. By the way, you may be interested in checking out Vangelis album "Heaven and Hell", which is one of his 70's classic albums with Anderson guesting in one song. I have heard little of the album, and I think only once his song with Anderson, but that's another one I'm interested in getting from Vangelis. And one last thing, I just got Aphodite Child's (Vangelis first band) album "666" earlier this year and was very pleasantly surprised by it, you might want to check it out, with yet another epic long great song "All the Seats were taken", or something like that.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 06:48
Only album I have by them is Friends of Mr. Cairo, which for the most part I like.  The title track and Find my Way Home as well as State of Independence.  Sort of a feel good album and I still play it once or twice a year.
I mainly was interested in them due to Vangelis more so than Jon.  I have quite a bit of Vangelis's albums and as Dellinger mentioned Heaven and Hell is a classic, also China is another favorite by him.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 21:07
Any other must have Vangelis albums? I don't really want to go out of my way getting all his discography, nor too many albums really. So far with the compilation album I think I have enough. As I said, I ended up getting 666 (thanks to the fact they stocked it in the local store, and that seemed a strange opportunity to get it)... and I really enjoyed that one (though it seems to sound very different to classic Vangelis). However, I have been thinking I might do well getting Heaven and Hell, and perhaps Albedo (I liked the sound of that song and the Blade Runner title track a lot, but I don't know if there's more of that, with strong melody, in Albedo or some other album). And I also have interest in this Private Collection album. Beside that, I don't know. I have seen Blade Runner (only once, actually), and I don't think I heard any other piece of music that I really want beside the ending credits track (the music works wonderfully backing up the movie, but I don't think it would work for me for listening to it separatley).
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 21:31
I have them all.

In the mid 80's I was impressed with Heaven and Hell, so asked my parents to briong me all his albums.

They brought me every Jon & Vangelis from the store and what a disappointment.

Honestly, hated all of them, except maybe Short Stories

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 07:48
Short Stories is definitley my favorite.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply