Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpirit of 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which Spirit album is your favorite and why?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [16.67%]
1 [16.67%]
4 [66.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spirit of 2017
    Posted: June 25 2017 at 08:15
I left out "12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" because it's the one Spirit album most people are familiar with and it would win in a landslide. But, IMHO, their first three albums are even better. For those who've heard them, which album do you like best. (An aside -- Spirit was the first group I ever saw in concert, on their Sardonicus tour, at St. Joseph High School auditorium in Euclid, Ohio!)
PROGMATIC
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 09:39
Clear would be my choice, but I like them all.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 09:41
Spirit for me
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 13:28
12 Dreams MIGHT have been my choice, but I've always liked The Family that Plays Together just as much.  If all 4 had been listed, I'm not sure what I would have done.  Probably voted for Family because, all other things being equal, I go for the underdog.  I know few people have voted (get it together, folks!) but I'm appalled that NOBODY before me voted for Family.  Not that Spirit (s.t.) or Clear are bad albums, they're both brilliant.  I mean:  Fresh Garbage, Dark Eyed Woman - killer.
Best Spirit song would be 1984.  Live they'd segue 1984 directly into Mechanical World and minds were regularly blown.

I saw the original quintet 4 times at the Fillmore East and there's no doubt in my mind that they were one of the 5 greatest live bands I've ever seen - and I'm including the prog greats like King Crimson & Magma (both of whom are top 5) into consideration.  Not only were they incredibly talented musically, but their stage presence was staggering.  Cass was the 2nd most charismatic drummer I've ever seen after Christian Vander - and before Keith Moon.  One time I saw them Creedence headlined, and they just blew Creedence off the stage.  The only time they didn't just pwn the bill was when they headlined over The Kinks and The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band (who were pretty staggering themselves).  At the end of each show, after the last encore, the band would stand together, arms linked, at the front of the stage and bow to the audience.  Sheer class!

After they broke up and got back together as a quartet with Cass and Randy (I never saw the Feedback lineup with Cass, Locke and the Staehely brothers from Texas;  in fact I'm not sure they ever played with that lineup) they were still really good live.  Cass was still an huge Presence, and Randy put a wireless connector on the Strat he played at the time and would keep running through the audience.  Still, though, there was nothing like the original quintet.

One of the all-time greats in every regard.
 Post Reply Post Reply