Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 12:26
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^I take it you’re looking for something closed-back ie a headphone that doesn’t let outside noise in and doesn’t play your tunes to your neighbour on the parkbench?
In any case I’d recommend the AKG K371
I own it myself and can testify to it’s wonderful sound as well as it being extremely comfortable. You can literally wear this thing all day.

Thank You 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 12:42
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Headphones I am looking for a pair can someone recommend a pairs one for long listening and one for out door use please   
ATH - M50x would also be a good choice.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 02:05
Thank you 

Music Is Live

<
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 03:01
Yeah the ATH-M50X is another great rec Always loved the sound of that.
Though to some (me fx) the earpads are slightly on the small side - meaning my ears touch the drivers. The AKG does not have this problem.

Also...I am waiting for an HD58X
I was obviously off my meds when I sold that the last time...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 11:23

Yeah the ATH-M50X is another great rec Always loved the sound of that.
Though to some (me fx) the earpads are slightly on the small side - meaning my ears touch the drivers. The AKG does not have this problem.

Also...I am waiting for an HD58X
I was obviously off my meds when I sold that the last time...

Its a bit of under the ATH-M50X or HD58X which one to be obtained but its a happy state to be in so thanks for the advise  

Music Is Live

<
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 02:42
I think the Sennheiser is a way better headphone than either the Audio Technica and the AKG...but it is also an open-back headphone. When you play music through them people around you will be able to hear your tunes..but then again I remember living with this in the late 80s early 90s without any problems besides having to turn up the volume considerably during car trips..and of course my dad/mom telling me to turn it down
But in short: if you need your headphone to isolate you from outside noise you’ll be better off with a closedback headphone.
Hope this helps
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 13:41

I think the Sennheiser is a way better headphone than either the Audio Technica and the AKG...but it is also an open-back headphone. When you play music through them people around you will be able to hear your tunes..but then again I remember living with this in the late 80s early 90s without any problems besides having to turn up the volume considerably during car trips..and of course my dad/mom telling me to turn it down
But in short: if you need your headphone to isolate you from outside noise you’ll be better off with a closedback headphone.
Hope this helps

Nuke Headphones brain cells are in meltdown I should have known not to read the "WHICH!!!!" magazine my list is getting out of handLOL 

Music Is Live

<
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 02:51
Let’s get Dolly back on track with some saucy headphone factoids:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/study-headphone-price-and-sound-quality.956469/

The above link is to a thread that discusses the correlation between sound quality and price tag. Spoiler? There’s no correlation.
Funnily enough I’ve learned this for myself over the past few years having tried all kinds of cans spanning from dirt-cheap to trying out friends’ coconuts that effectively cost car-money.
The truth of the matter seems to be that the higher up the price ladder one goes...the fancier and heavier the headphone gets. The sound though is still comparable to headphones that are 10 times as cheap.
Case in point: the Abyss AB1266 TC. This headphone costs in and around 5-6000$. Yup It is designed so as you can drive it over with a Jeep (if held in a very specific manner no less) yet listening to it very quickly told me one thing: the company forgot to tune the mids! A/b’ing against a Sundara and an HD600 was quite frankly awkward. I had to watch what I said..mostly because my friend was looking for a sign of approval...and I honestly could not fathom how this supposed flagship had accumulated the rep it had.

For peeps out there thinking about getting a good headphone - do yourself a favour and get a Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD58X and never look back. If you want something beautiful with gorgeous wood to look at (with slightly poorer sound quality)..well then save up for a ZMF

- Douglas Adams
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 04:41
Not a fan of Sennheiser cans. I found them thin in sound.
My personal favourites for studio work...

AKG-K240 Studio

Edited by JD - February 13 2022 at 14:11
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 06:53
I really dig the K240 - especially what one gets for the dough. Last time I bought one I ended up paying something like 400 kr for it...aka cheap as chips...and it sounds very good.
I do prefer the HD600’s more neutral and smooth presentation, but I guess the extra energy found in the uppermids and treble of the AKG occasionally makes it easier to make productional decisions.

- Douglas Adams
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 07:40
Still digging my Audio Technica ATH-M50 and my Beyerdynamic DT 880's. I also have the AKG K 240's, bought them in the 90's. They are 600 ohms and were made in Austria. Newer ones are 55 ohms, not made in Austria. Mine still work and sound good, but I prefer the others I mentioned.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - April 22 2021 at 08:52
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 08:53
^Nice headphones Grumpy
I had a long listen to a friend’s DT880 a little while back and was a little surprised by how much I liked it. It was the 250 ohm Pro version. I think the last one I heard before that was the 600 ohm version, which to my ears, sounded brighter. There’s also something about those velour pads that feels so inviting.
Btw if your pads have turned brown and/or flattened, I’d suggest a pad swap. Sure they’re a tad pricey, but you effectively get a ‘brand new’ headphone in return ie the intended frequency response/presentation relies on the pads. Pads are similar to ‘the room’ in which you place your speakers. They dictate how far your ears are from the drivers as well as the fabric choice and overall density of the material all being factors in the tuning. When pads deteriorate they also change the presentation. We don’t really notice because it happens so slowly over time - somewhat similar to not noticing the natural ageing proces happening in the mirror.
It’s only really when you swap to a pair of fresh pads you realise how much the sound has changed.

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 14:13
Someone mention "cans".....again!!!???

Dolly Partons Concert &amp; Tour History | Concert Archives
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2021 at 09:38

What a wonderful cameo from my main man José and Dolly herself.

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2021 at 13:47

What a wonderful cameo from my main man José and Dolly herself.

Someone's gotta wake up this website.....deader than a dead man's you know what! LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 02:50
Things are about as dead as you make em out to be, I find. Just this morning I had this visceral sensation of sitting next to Miles Davis all because of In A Silent Way.
...but I also know what you mean

It would seem that I shamefully omitted one of the finest headphones in production today from my earlier recommendation, the Audio Technica ATH-R70X. It’s basically a lightweight bag of gummybears strapped to your noggin that sounds like a slightly warm pair of studiomonitors.

- Douglas Adams
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 10:41
Nice to see this thread revived a bit.

My latest acquisition for the ultimate headphone listening experience has been purchasing an AC Regenerator and incorporating that into my chain. I’ve had it for 3 months now and I have never been happier. The importance and improvements given from clean and proper AC is absolutely huge.
I hope you will all look into a regenerator. It is expensive, but the improvements in the stereo imaging and low end is absolutely huge.
Anyway. My CANS are getting some serious treatment these days. Love being an audio guy.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 13:09
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

My latest acquisition for the ultimate headphone listening experience has been purchasing an AC Regenerator and incorporating that into my chain. I’ve had it for 3 months now and I have never been happier. The importance and improvements given from clean and proper AC is absolutely huge.
I hope you will all look into a regenerator. It is expensive, but the improvements in the stereo imaging and low end is absolutely huge.
Anyway. My CANS are getting some serious treatment these days. Love being an audio guy.
Yea I kinda been thinking about a regenerator for my system, they are spendy for sure.....Overall I don't have nasty power to my home so I might do a home audition before I pull the trigger...........Which brand did you get Nick?
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 18:11
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Yea I kinda been thinking about a regenerator for my system, they are spendy for sure.....Overall I don't have nasty power to my home so I might do a home audition before I pull the trigger...........Which brand did you get Nick?

Hose eh!! what is happening my friend? God I love your vinyl picture spins.
I ended up with the PS AUDIO P3 Stellar. It is absolutely worth it. The only thing I don’t like about it is that ithe P3 had 6 outlets instead of 8. All good though.
So Jose. If you have your own dedicated power line I’m sure your in good shape. If not. Get the Regenerator. For me the improvements were so dramatic cause I’ve always have had dirty ass power, especially now living in an apartment building.
Anyhow I’ve got it the best I’ve ever had it in-terms of overall fidelity quality. I’ve come a long way, but work is still to be done.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 09:10

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Hose eh!! what is happening my friend? God I love your vinyl picture spins.
I ended up with the PS AUDIO P3 Stellar. It is absolutely worth it. The only thing I don’t like about it is that ithe P3 had 6 outlets instead of 8. All good though.
So Jose. If you have your own dedicated power line I’m sure your in good shape. If not. Get the Regenerator. For me the improvements were so dramatic cause I’ve always have had dirty ass power, especially now living in an apartment building.
Anyhow I’ve got it the best I’ve ever had it in-terms of overall fidelity quality. I’ve come a long way, but work is still to be done.
It's all good Nick!! Weeding thru this new world we live in now and trying to let as much music get me thru it all. Just had another 2021 concert pushed to 2022 Angry.....Suxs!!

Anyhow, you did well with PS Audio, what's wrong with the PowerPlant 15??? LOL They do offer a trial period and a trade in program....When you plugged everything in was it immediate or did the P3 have to break in?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>