Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat would improve CD’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What could make CD’s better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.38%]
5 [10.64%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [12.77%]
13 [27.66%]
7 [14.89%]
1 [2.13%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.38%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.13%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [17.02%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2004 at 05:25
I just buy'd an album, where there only was 45 min. of music, thats not enough when there can be, up to 90. min. i had it, there schould be some more music on the albums.
Theis|Shogun
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2004 at 06:52
A common gripe, this one

The CD format can carry approx 80 minutes of music, but when you have 1970's albums being re-released on CD, they are rarely more than 45 minutes long, so unless a huge amount of unreleased material (of decent quality, one would hope) can be unearthed, we end up buying a half full CD.

Mind you, on the other side of the coin, many new bands try to fill as much of the CD as possible, resulting in quantity, rather than quality(no names, no pack drill, no mention of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers).

I always prefer quality to quantity.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2004 at 09:21
I don't care if an album is short. Gentle Giant - Three Friends was worth all the money I paid for it!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2004 at 14:41

Personally, I love "bonus tracks", they often offer an interesting insight into the history of the tracks on the albums. The Caravan and Yes bonus tracks for example are excellent. In Caravan' case, on the "New Symphonia" album, they were used to recreate the concert in full.

You can always use the stop, skip or programme buttons on the CD player if you don't want to hear them!

I thought the way the Marillion remasters had the exta tracks on a separate CD was a great idea. The original albums were left untouched on one CD for the purists, with a plethora of extras for folks like me on the other!Big smile

AngelRat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2004 at 16:13

Lower prices, better sound quality. Muchos older prog albums rereleased on cd sound sh*t. A simple remastering job will do, but seemingly most labels are reluctant to do that, or they do when you've already bought the damn cd out of despair. I bought KC's 'Islands' twice, the old version sounds excruciatingly bad, the remaster sounds 300 times better.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2004 at 22:41

Probably I'm a purist and like to have the album exactly as it was released by the authors, I don't want to listen what a producer or a label searching for money decide is better to add.

I don't care for the lenght if a band releases an album with 80 minutes of music it's better (specially if they don't sacrifice quality for quantity as Jim said, but if the band releases an album with certain songs, I want to listen it that way.

If a band has many B sides or unreleased versions, there's always the chance to release a special album after the band is dead so we can have some new stuff after we believed we would never hear something new.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 00:37
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Probably I'm a purist and like to have the album exactly as it was released by the authors, I don't want to listen what a producer or a label searching for money decide is better to add.

I don't care for the lenght if a band releases an album with 80 minutes of music it's better (specially if they don't sacrifice quality for quantity as Jim said, but if the band releases an album with certain songs, I want to listen it that way.

If a band has many B sides or unreleased versions, there's always the chance to release a special album after the band is dead so we can have some new stuff after we believed we would never hear something new.

Iván

The question is... What would make a CD buyer (You) more inclined to buy a CD?

Velvetclown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2004 at 14:29
Does lifting beer cans count ????????????????????? 

Hmm.............I guess not
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2004 at 18:06
I am a vynil junkie and hate the over produced sound of CDs.
Glass-Prison View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2004 at 18:45
Well, it's quite obvious, the best way to make me buy a CD is to charge a much more reasonable price, instead of adding cool gimmicks. Sure, I'd love to know Bill Bruford's PIN number, but I'm buying the CD for the music!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2004 at 21:52

Quote The question is... What would make a CD buyer (You) more inclined to buy a CD?

Only one thing THE MUSIC.

I don't buy an album for it's lenght, bonus tracks, beautiful art covers (though it helps a bit), footage, etc. I simply buy what I like.

Iván

NyghtOwl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2004 at 18:09
Other...definitely.
If ya have a gooood turntable/amp/stylus etc, then the sound quality of an album (vinyl) is better than CD.
I dunno if this is cos music is movement of air and there is no movement of air with a laser (CD).
anyhows, i record all my stuff @ 96khz, 24bit, and it sounds bloody GREAT! lol
Life is a beach...
How come I'm not on it?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 10:59

I've got a very simple solution, let's just lose interest in music and take up basket weaving instead. Just kidding. I am a vinyl junkie and if I can find something on Vinyl in a second hand record shop or junk  store or a flea market I will grab that before paying $25 for a CD, anyway I'm into mostly older stuff. I find that the old analogue recordings which have been remastered and  transferred to CD sound overproduced and clinical. I will never give up my vinyl not even a team of wild horses. Nothing could improve CD's for me. I like sitting with the headphones on with album sleeve in my hand in my recliner watching the record go around on the turntable. and another thing with CD's I hate the gimmick of bonus tracks the record companies use such as studio run throughs and discarded material to jack up th prices of CD's. For example the re-mastered CD of Misplaced Childhood, the bonus tracks take up more time than the original bloody vinyl version! And no I don't own it I lisented to it at the listening station at a local music store. CD'S I have never owned a discman or walkman and believe music is a special and sacred artform  which requires your full attention. I 've even seen morons driving their cars with the things on. I guess we all have different approaches to listening, mine is more of a technical one I try to figure out the time signatures, what keys are being played in etc. it requires my complete and undivided attention somtimes I will play play a track over and over and over again until my dogs start snarling at me and my wife threatens me with slow agonizing painful death. The moog at the end of lucky man is a good example I will play that part over and over. I have favourite parts of songs whether it be prog, Elvis or Classical Music. But I guees some of you younger guys on the site grew up with CD's and that's the only format you know but that's OK. Heck I am so old as the hills that I remember 8 tracks and 45's.! But seriously I think that the way to improve CD's is to lower the prices is to stop all this downloading over the internet perhaps another format will be introduced which will prevent this. I have never down loaded music over the net it hurts the artists and the music lovers and Mariah. There! I have spoke my mind and as Maani would say peace to all.

(Danbo is that specific enough for you. Obviously I voted other)

Edited by Vibrationbaby
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 11:16

I like the idea of a commentary by the band, but it would have to be on a seperate disc. However I generally agree with Ivan, what we want is to hear the album as the artist intended it.There is a strand of opinion (on different forums) that industry types are demanding that cd's are mastered at maximum volume-Rush's Vapor Trails being the example I am familiar with, and thus making the remaster invaluable. Remastering Vapor Trails will make me buy it again, although you have to shop around-I have purchased albums from Play.com for £7.99 that have been £14.99 in HMV. I am all for copying cd's-I know it is theft, but I view it as a black-market. Black markets exist when a product is in short supply or over-priced.Cd's will never be in short supply therefore it should be a buyers market and it is not.

Rant over.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 12:29

Quote I am all for copying cd's-I know it is theft,

Hi Reed Lover, I'm gonna give you some good news, copying a CD is not always a Civil Crime (And of course is not a felony as RIAA pretends us to believe).

If you own a legally sold album, you're entitled to make copies for your own use.

The law doesn't discriminate between formats, so if I have a vynil copy of Close to the Edge, I believe I'm entitled to make a CD copy because I already paid the rights. Courts are specific in that point, if you bought an album, you're entitled to make copies for your own use.

RIAA wants us to buy the same product as many times as posible, you may have 1 or two vynils (if one got scratched), a cassette tape bought during the late 80's when no more vynils were sold and CD was not a popular item), a CD, a remastered edition, a remnastered edition with bonus tracks and of couse a 5.1 surround edition.

This means you have to pay 6 or 7 times for the same album, I don't think so.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 12:51

To respond to ivan some of my vinyl has only been played once as I was afraid I would wear it out so I would play it once and transfer it to cassette. And yes I still have a cassette player and listen to certain albums on the cassette player only especially the rare ones which aren't even available on CD. I agree with your point that once you have purchased the work you can do anything you want go use it for skeet shooting, a frisbee for your dogs, whatever, with it because the artists havee recieved their royalties. What do you guys think about buying music second hand? 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 13:23

HOW ABOUT SOME BETTER MUSIC

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 16:42

[quote]I am all for copying cd's-I know it is theft,

Hi Reed Lover, I'm gonna give you some good news, copying a CD is not always a Civil Crime (And of course is not a felony as RIAA pretends us to believe).

If you own a legally sold album, you're entitled to make copies for your own use.

I am aware of that but I get DVD's with the UK top 60 albums on in MP3 format every fortnight. That is a wee bit naughty!

Also I distribute them amongst friends, also DVD's etc. Copying is theft if it prevents the original copyright owner from claiming his rightful earnings. I dont include replacing a damaged disc in this if you've already purchased the original. In this case the copying of CD's, DVD's and software for backup purposes should always be legal.

Edited by Reed Lover

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 18:41

Quote I agree with your point that once you have purchased the work you can do anything you want go use it for skeet shooting, a frisbee for your dogs, whatever, with it because the artists havee recieved their royalties. 

I go a bit further I believe you can buy ilegal copies in CD format from the black market and it's still legal if you bought the LP's before.

Quote I am aware of that but I get DVD's with the UK top 60 albums on in MP3 format every fortnight. Also I distribute them amongst friends, also DVD's etc.

Ok, this case is different, if you're busted this will be considered a civil crime.

Iván

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 19:47

Quote I agree with your point that once you have purchased the work you can do anything you want go use it for skeet shooting, a frisbee for your dogs, whatever, with it because the artists havee recieved their royalties. 

I go a bit further I believe you can buy ilegal copies in CD format from the black market and it's still legal if you bought the LP's before.

Quote I am aware of that but I get DVD's with the UK top 60 albums on in MP3 format every fortnight. Also I distribute them amongst friends, also DVD's etc.

Ok, this case is different, if you're busted this will be considered a civil crime.

Iván

can you post bail for me, old fellow.

See you-know-who is on your case again. You 2 related or something?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>