Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTwelfth Night

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Twelfth Night
    Posted: August 16 2017 at 06:34
New forum member here and really enjoying the content, will likely touch on topics already discussed in past but here goes. Was wondering if there is any love for Twelfth Night hereabouts? As a teenager I was blown away with the Art and Illusion album but if honest enjoyed all their output with both singers. Interested in anybody's recollections.....Reading Festival, Marquee gigs etc
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 06:51
Hi. Welcome to PA

I have Art & Illusion, but that's all by Twelfth Night. Must admit, I've not listened to it for many years, but enjoyed it at the time, along with other neo acts like Pallas and IQ, although I enjoy classic prog far more. I remember TN being very good musicians.

Don't worry about touching on topics already discussed. It happens, even among established members at times I hope you enjoy the forum experience!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
-B- View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 08:02
Cheers man, don't get me started on IQ and Pallas or we will be here all day!! I have a pretty varied and wide taste in most versions of all things prog (and beyond). Was why this place appealed, looking foward to being aboard!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 09:19
Welcome a-B-oard.

I expect that there would be some here who some them live in the day, but this place hasn't been as busy of late due to Captcha "are you a robot?") posting issues.... Not that it's been giving me much problem.

I'm not big on Neo-Prog on the whole, although there certainly is NWOBPR stuff I like (the New Wave of British Prog Rock). I do like Twelfth Night's debut, Fact and Fiction and I enjoy the New Wave influence. For that matter I like Pallas debut and early IQ can be good for me. I didn't get to know Twelfth Night band at all until the 2000s and not being in the UK, I never saw them live. I wonder if Lazland and/or Hercules have?

Other than Fact and Fiction, I haven't explored the band too much (a little off the instrumental live album, Live at the Target).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 10:04
In response to Greg, no, I never did get to see Twelfth Night in the day, but enjoyed Fact & Fiction, and, somewhat of a rarity amongst members, the self titled album.

There is, however, a reason why they did not last the course, unlike IQ, Marillion, and Pallas, and that was they simply were not as good, I am afraid. Plenty of promise, but ultimately unfulfilled.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 10:51
Another good album is Live at Target...  I have all their albums and the track The Collectors item is just stunning.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 10:57
Thanks for responding, Steve. And re-reading my post I see that I erroneously claimed that Fact and Fiction is a debut. I caught my error when composing it but still failed to correct it.

I think the thing with IQ is that they evolved well. It did sort of start off sounding like a Genesis clone, which is fine since I like Genesis, but changed over time. I think that the original singer of Twelfth Night must have put some people off, and the music is not as intricate and nuanced as IQ, methinks.

By the way, I said, I'm not that big on Neo-Prog, although I've long liked some albums in that category, but when I was listening to at first when I was most into really experimental music, and melodic music actually sounded odd to my ear. These days I'm more into consonance and less into dissonance.

I've actually been enjoying Fish era Marillion a lot of late, plus some Hogarth. I always liked early IQ, mind you, and always liked various music by Marillion. Interests should always be expanding, methinks.

Edited by Logan - August 16 2017 at 10:58
Just a fanboy passin' through.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 11:35

Originally posted by -B- -B- wrote:

New forum member here and really enjoying the content, will likely touch on topics already discussed in past but here goes. Was wondering if there is any love for Twelfth Night hereabouts? As a teenager I was blown away with the Art and Illusion album but if honest enjoyed all their output with both singers. Interested in anybody's recollections.....Reading Festival, Marquee gigs etc

I live "across the pond" so I never got to see them. (They did get invited to play at the last NEARfest in 2012, but I wasn't able to get over there.)

Of all the neo-progressive bands, Twelfth Night-with-Geoff-Mann-as-singer are far and away my favorite. While IQ and Marillion were emulating Gabriel/Collins-Genesis, TN had their own style. Geoff's vocals were ace. His lyrics were genuine poetry. "Creepshow" remains one of the best songs I've ever heard. "We Are Sane," "The Ceiling Speaks" and the epic "The Collector" are more proof that Geoff was the real deal. 

TN with Sears as vocalist just doesn't hit anywhere near as hard. Art & Illusion has its moments, but after the sheer genius/madness of Smiling at GriefFact and Fiction — punctuated by the astonishing Live and Let Live — Sears-TN just sounds flat. (The 1986 self-titled album should not ever be mentioned again after this mention! LOL )

TN also have that great early instrumental offering, Live at the Target. A band that has worn many hats!

One interesting item that may have gotten past you is the official 2007 2CD compilation Voices in the Night, which contains 28 songs that feature all the vocalists TN has had: Electra McLeod, Ian Lloyd Jones, Axe, Martyn Watson, Andy and Geoff. It even has a version of Geoff's song "Piccadilly Square" sung by Andy.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 11:53
I love all the Twelfth Night material with Geoff Mann, don't really care for the early years when they were instrumental and don't like the post-Geoff stuff with Andy Sears.  Anyway, "Live and Let Live" is one of my fave prog live albums of all time (especially the 2CD release a few years ago with all the bonus tracks).  There's a great youtube vid of a live Sequences performance with Geoff from the '83 Reading Festival...if anyone's curious about Twelfth Night, check out the video...if you don't like this don't bother with anything else they've done...but if you like it, there are several albums you'll want to put on your list Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl-J3fCQB1k
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 13:27
I used to have "fact and fiction" a long time ago. It's a great album and not your typical "neo prog." I think it came out right before most of those bands got popular so the typical neo sound was not yet fully established.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 13:40
Originally posted by -B- -B- wrote:

Cheers man, don't get me started on IQ and Pallas or we will be here all day!! I have a pretty varied and wide taste in most versions of all things prog (and beyond). Was why this place appealed, looking foward to being aboard!

I am here all day!

I've seen IQ a few times in relativelty recent years. Excellent live band. As for Pallas I never realy got into them beyond The Sentinal. The Cross and the Crucible aint bad.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 14:34
Hi B
I saw TN in 1984 on the 'Art and Illusion' tour but wasn't a big fan of Andy Sears vocals (or the Mullets!) but had had contact with the band in the Geoff Mann days through an old friend who went to Reading University. He used to see them a lot and sent me flyers and posters etc and even got my copy of 'Fact and Fiction' autographed by the whole band. I really liked TN with Geoff Mann and I know he was slated in the day as an awful singer but he had a passion, brutal intensity in performance yet a sensitive human with personal integrity. The lp had something very different to the rest but was marred by poor production. 'Live and let live' is an excellent lp, its a shame GM left and of course very tragic that he died so young.

I saw all the NWOBPR bands and still have signed copies of 'Script', 'Sentinal', 'Fly high fall far' and 'Lush Attic'.. but lost interest in most of them after that though have see all again in relatively recent years.. i'm afraid the only one which impressed me was IQ

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 15:20

noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 15:31
One of my favourite bass players is Clive Mitten.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 15:48

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 16:42

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I really liked TN with Geoff Mann and I know he was slated in the day as an awful singer but he had a passion, brutal intensity in performance yet a sensitive human with personal integrity. The lp had something very different to the rest but was marred by poor production. 'Live and let live' is an excellent lp, its a shame GM left and of course very tragic that he died so young.

What? That's ridiculous. Confused
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I saw all the NWOBPR bands and still have signed copies of 'Script', 'Sentinal', 'Fly high fall far' and 'Lush Attic'.. but lost interest in most of them after that though have see all again in relatively recent years.. i'm afraid the only one which impressed me was IQ

You're only missing a signed copy of The Jewel. Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 21:14
Fact And Fiction - one of the top 'Neo' Prog albums out there !!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 23:58
ooooooooooooooooh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! totally awesome PROG!!!!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
-B- View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 07:54
Interesting comments and recollections, am seemingly in a bit of a minority ref the Sears years I guess. In particular the XII album with possibly the most entertaining vinyl pull out I have ever seen! 
I enjoyed a lot of the so-called Neo bands of the time but TN to me always seemed a little less derivative with the angular guitar attack and the underpinned contemporary arrangements. (albeit in an 80's style). Good times and amazing how these bands were my compass for looking into other elements of prog. I even had a fierce mullet (no regrets!!!) Smile

Carbon Based Lifeform
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 08:46
I enjoyed the self titled album as well. I did not get to see the band live, about the only band of that era I missed. Some very good reminisces on the thread, though
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>