Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish out of UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [50.00%]
19 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 07:56
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

UK is the better album but I prefer Fish Out of Water. 

Same here----side 2 of Fish gets a bit dicey but still love it.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 08:28
I regained faith in you people - at last, the big man is on the lead ! Thumbs Up
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 16:31
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

I can't believe this - in my book FOOW is a masterpiece - I am very, very disappointed with you guys LOL

Yes, it's grand, and it shines brightly to this day!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 00:11
UK is a great album; Fish is not so bad, needs some help from his friends. Well arranged as expected but ... It flatters to deceive. Squire's function is to be a collaborator (Anderson, Buggles, Rabin, ABWH, Sherwood, David, Davison, Hackett) but on his own he seems a bit like a fish out of the kettle. In a way he seems to have Waters' syndrome. Many interesting / good ideas that need their erstwhile partners to make them truly palatable.

Combine this with Olias and we are on the way to something that just needs Howe's magic dust and a little contribution from Moraz to liven the tempos up and give it some fire and we are on the way to a pretty good album. Not bad from Chris but pitting one guy up against the firepower of UK is a bit mean. ;)

Wetton is the better singer and with a more appealing voice. UK has Eddie Jobson whose compositional command is able to focus on extended works and the song approach. He gets Bruford as well... and Alan Holdsworth. 

Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 15:24
Fish! but UK is very good...
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:14
Squire's album is immense, but I have to give it to UK on this one!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 11:23
The great man edges it for me. Fish Out of Water has been a steady grower on me over recent years - I find new things every time I give it a spin.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12