Topic ClosedLed Zeppelin - The Lost Album 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Led Zeppelin - The Lost Album 2017
    Posted: November 19 2017 at 21:06
It seems someone has unleashed an unauthorized set of unreleased tracks by the great Led Zeppelin.

Just listening to this for the first time and found it totally by chance. Since it's a bootleg i guess it won't be making it onto the site but it certainly is well worth the listen.

I can understand why the Led Zep didn't release many of these since they sound a bit similar to other tracks that they did much better, but this is a classic band that was worthy of their crown and these tracks are a true delight to hear so many years after their recording.

If anyone has any more info about this album, please do share! I can't find any mention of it on their official site.

Tracklist: 01.Autumn Lake 00:00 02.C'mon Everybody 00:51 03.It'll Be Me (With Mick Ralphs) 03:20 04.I Gotta Move 07:21 05.Swan Song 10:27 06.Pipes And Flamenco 15:07 07.Long Tall Sally Medley 20:11 08.Georgia On My Mind 23:57 09.Nut Rocker 25:17 10.Feel So Bad, Fixing To Die, That's Alright Mama 27:20

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 23:32
It's a private release by someone with access to Jimmy Page's or Peter Grant's master tapes.   The band recorded constantly, especially on the road ~ rehearsals, sessions, shows ~ they were practically a traveling circus and easily the hardest working rock group at the time.   They recorded far more music than would be possible (or in this case desirable) to release and much of it is just not that good.   That's how they composed, improvised, and developed new material & stage routines.   It was not uncommon for them to cover a huge swath of pop songs, jazz standards, rock 'n roll classics, 1940s & 50s hit parade, modern covers, all sandwiched between their set.

These cuts are a small fraction of what is on tape and represents exactly what is was--  mediocre jams, covers and experiments, most of which never saw the light of day.   As a Zeppelin historian I would've loved to have owned these lost cuts when I was collecting & bootlegging in my twenties, but now it just sounds like exactly what Jimmy and the rest knew it was: Material not up to the standards of arguably the greatest hard rock band in history.   This material should probably not've been put out.   It is insulting to the good taste of the band and their fans.   Useless and largely insignificant.  

Like magicians, musicians don't and shouldn't reveal their secrets.   Especially Led Zeppelin.

Edited by Atavachron - November 19 2017 at 23:39
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 07:22
Lost album? Not really.
There are plenty of Led Zep bootlegs around with this stuff on, it's a collection of live recordings and studio noodlings, including Swan Song. Historical interest only, the sort of thing you might listen to once.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 08:24
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

It's a private release by someone with access to Jimmy Page's or Peter Grant's master tapes.   The band recorded constantly, especially on the road ~ rehearsals, sessions, shows ~ they were practically a traveling circus and easily the hardest working rock group at the time.   They recorded far more music than would be possible (or in this case desirable) to release and much of it is just not that good.   That's how they composed, improvised, and developed new material & stage routines.   It was not uncommon for them to cover a huge swath of pop songs, jazz standards, rock 'n roll classics, 1940s & 50s hit parade, modern covers, all sandwiched between their set.

These cuts are a small fraction of what is on tape and represents exactly what is was--  mediocre jams, covers and experiments, most of which never saw the light of day.   As a Zeppelin historian I would've loved to have owned these lost cuts when I was collecting & bootlegging in my twenties, but now it just sounds like exactly what Jimmy and the rest knew it was: Material not up to the standards of arguably the greatest hard rock band in history.   This material should probably not've been put out.   It is insulting to the good taste of the band and their fans.   Useless and largely insignificant.  

Like magicians, musicians don't and shouldn't reveal their secrets.   Especially Led Zeppelin.

Well put. Personally i think some of these are a great listen but i agree that it's the kind of stuff worth hearing once. As far as magic goes, it's usually hard work. Arranging, rearranging, practicing and then scrapping it all and starting all over until it works exactly right. Led Zeppelin 4 didn't just beam down from the heavens. Or did it Shocked

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 18:16
^ Oh no, it most certainly didn't.   In fact the earliest glimmers of the stuff on ZoSo can be heard in rehearsals circa 1970 (the Bron-Y-Aur sessions) and was extremely raw and undeveloped with false starts, incoherent lyrics, twiddly solos, and terrible acoustics.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply