Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
    Posted: December 23 2017 at 17:30
What do you guys feel about SGM and their eclectic style. To me they are the epitome of modern eclectic prog with wide variation of influence. Raging from heavy brutal death metal, to eccentric motives more familiar in Gentle Giant and Van de Graad Generator albums. To me thy are the mix of System of a Down, Arcturus, VDGG, Canterberry and Phish.

Edited by Icarium - December 23 2017 at 17:31
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2017 at 18:34
They are one of the most singular, important and exceptional bands of the new century. All three albums are superb. They are a beast unto themselves. Love em.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2017 at 19:25
SGM is a way of life.  They make many of their of own instruments.   In more ways than one they are the epitome of progressive.  SGM videos remind me of foreign art house films.    
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2017 at 20:21
One of my favorite avant-garde metal bands. I love all three albums but OF NATURAL HISTORY is almost perfect. Wish they would have continued to use their invented instruments on the following album

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 17:51
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

They are one of the most singular, important and exceptional bands of the new century. All three albums are superb. They are a beast unto themselves. Love em.
^

A shame they split.
LilithFC View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilithFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 17:57
SGM are by far one of my favorite Avant Garde bands ever, or course my opinion can change, but so far, I have been taken away by all of their albums, along with their side projects as well (i.e Idiot Flesh/Acid Rain), Nil's vocals are so brutal, yet can be delicate, and his homemade bass is something to marvel. Overall, I absolutely LOVE the band, along with other bands such as Nuclear Rabbit
 Post Reply Post Reply