1 [5.26%]
1 [5.26%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Family album
    Posted: December 25 2017 at 12:23
I think it will be me Music In a Dollīs House, but on the other hand all their first five albums are almost as great. I hope there will be votes to others too!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2017 at 12:38
Well.....the first 3 are all very good but I still like Dolls House the best.............the later ones are hit or miss for me with some good tracks and some mediocre ones.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2017 at 14:00
I’ve only heard 3 of their albums (Dollhouse, Family Entertainment and Bandstand) but inly kept Dollhouse. Not fair for me to vote, although I’ve been curious about the others for years.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2017 at 14:43
Dolls House is the only one I have so no vote from me...but have always been curious about Fearless with John Wetton on bass.  Curious to see how this poll plays out Wink
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2017 at 22:52
Well, I hope when people see this poll, they will listen more Family. I have listen them a lot some years (known them already from the eighties, but any of my friends havenīt got their albums, also havenīt got then enough money to buy everything that was interesting). Really sad theyīre today so unknown, because I think theyīre as great as other great bands of that time. And even Dollīs House is their masterpiece, those other next four are also really close to it and also Bandstand is not bad album, even Itīs Only Movie has some decent songs. Fearless as Wetton in bass and second vocals is really great, he`s also playing and singing in Bandstand.

I have begun to respect Family more than Led Zeppelin. I believe Page took the idea in Black Dog to Familyīs Good News Bad News. I donīt say itīs a crib (like many Zeppelin songs are), but structure and the pitch is the same. Also itīs known that Roger Chapman was a role model to Ian Anderson and Peter Gabriel.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 02:52
the psych-filled Doll's House (one of those album that heavily influenced Genesis' debut Revelation)  seems a tad superior to the two proggier (and proggiest) Wetton-era albums Fearless and Bandstand with the gimmick sleeves

I used to like a lot Entertainment and A Song For Me, but TBH, I've outgrown them, and I never adhered to Anyway

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 05:56
I frankly like them all, but if I had to choose, I would pick "A Song For Me".
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 06:09
It is a draw between the first three albums. Family Entertainment it is.
I think this band fell through the cracks because their sound was smack in the middle of prog and poprock. The prog fans of the day probably wanted the full kahuna whereas the poppier inclined most likely felt the music was a tad too weird. Too bad. Family made some great albums imo.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 08:22
Music From A Doll's House.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 09:05
I love Music in a Doll's House and Entertainment, but I don't know the others yet. I hadn't listened to this band in too long, and will definitely rectify that and hear A Song For Me. When I saw the poll, "Face in the Cloud" came into my head, which is a song I adore. I've been listening to Entertainment again this morning and really enjoying it. I'm on the last track "Emotions" now, and it still sounds so fresh. Wonderful. Thanks for doing this poll. Listening to Family has made my morning.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 09:38
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It is a draw between the first three albums. Family Entertainment it is.
I think this band fell through the cracks because their sound was smack in the middle of prog and poprock. The prog fans of the day probably wanted the full kahuna whereas the poppier inclined most likely felt the music was a tad too weird. Too bad. Family made some great albums imo.
Well, Family was quite popular in their time in UK. Their three albums reached No.4-7 in the UK albums chart. They never made it in US, in the middle of their tour Ric Grech decided to leave and join to Blind Faith. Also Chapman throw accidentally microphone stand towards Bill Graham, so he had to sing following shows hands by his sides (you know he was very great performer normally). Also he losts his voice in the end of tour.

There are quite many great old bands, that are unknown these days. Maybe one reason in Family is, that they split so early in the seventies. On the other hand Jimi Hendrix died 1970 and heīs still popular. As I said, I think they deserve much more attention these days than for example Zeppelin. But this world is unfair.

Really great to see here are so many Family-fans and also other great albums are voted!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 14:36
Doll's House, of course!!!
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 15:41
I absolutely adore Family, who are one of my all-time favorite bands.  I even saw them in April of 1969 at the Fillmore East on a bill with Ten Years After and The Nice.  Hell of a bill, but the headliners (great as TYA could be) were quite outclassed by the opening bands.  I love the 1st three albums and Fearless almost equally, so this makes for a tough choice, but I had to go with Family Entertainment.  I sure hope somebody votes for A Song for Me.  It deserves love, too.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 19:15
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Also Chapman throw accidentally microphone stand towards Bill Graham, so he had to sing following shows hands by his sides (you know he was very great performer normally).

That makes up for all the other times when Graham well deserved to have a mic stand thrown at him and didn't LOL
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 23:27
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

I absolutely adore Family, who are one of my all-time favorite bands.  I even saw them in April of 1969 at the Fillmore East on a bill with Ten Years After and The Nice.  Hell of a bill, but the headliners (great as TYA could be) were quite outclassed by the opening bands.  I love the 1st three albums and Fearless almost equally, so this makes for a tough choice, but I had to go with Family Entertainment.  I sure hope somebody votes for A Song for Me.  It deserves love, too.
Really great to hear that! I envy you, but on the other hand I born on the year they splitted. Theyīve played gigs recently, so itīs not totally hopeless to see them, but hard to believe they will come to Finland...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 23:32
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I love Music in a Doll's House and Entertainment, but I don't know the others yet. I hadn't listened to this band in too long, and will definitely rectify that and hear A Song For Me. When I saw the poll, "Face in the Cloud" came into my head, which is a song I adore. I've been listening to Entertainment again this morning and really enjoying it. I'm on the last track "Emotions" now, and it still sounds so fresh. Wonderful. Thanks for doing this poll. Listening to Family has made my morning.
No need to thanx, it has also been pleasure to me to listen Family recent years. It is really great to find this kind of great bands also in my older years. Also it has been really great to find other Family-fans, before this poll I have discussed only one guy here Finland who was as big Family fan as I.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2017 at 23:35
What I wonder Fearless havenīt got any votes, maybe I should have voted that, I think itīs my next favourite after Dollīs. "Between Blue and Me", "Spanish Tide" and "Burning Bridges" are some of my favourite Family Songs.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 01:07
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

the psych-filled Doll's House (one of those album that heavily influenced Genesis' debut Revelation)  seems a tad superior to the two proggier (and proggiest) Wetton-era albums Fearless and Bandstand with the gimmick sleeves

I used to like a lot Entertainment and A Song For Me, but TBH, I've outgrown them, and I never adhered to Anyway
Some copies of first pressing Dollīs House had a small poster (I think itīs the most greatest picture of the band, they really look mafiosos that). Entertainment had a large poster with it. Anyway had also quite gimmick cover originally with that golden writing on itīs plastic sleeve gatefold sheet cover inside of it. Really love those 60-70 art covers!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 02:36
^ one of the albums had a red/white/blue booklet cover - Fearless ??
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 07:01
Yes, itīs Fearless. It also has red lyric inner.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>