Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWobbler Appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wobbler Appreciation thread
    Posted: January 28 2018 at 03:53
I've known Wobbler for years now, but it faded into obscurity somehow.

Now that their new album 'From Silence to Somehere' has rocked my world, I have fallen in love all over again.

In my teens (90's) I fell in love time after time after time again with band like Gentle Giant, Camel, Yes, Barclay James Harvest, Renaissance, Wishbone Ash, etc.

And now I apparently fall in love with that kind of music again through bands like Beardfish and Wobbler.
I absolutely adore it.

I hope to have great conversations here about Wobbler, and see obscure youtube-videos and have a moment to have a closer look at their artwork.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 04:42
Heard of but not heard! Your list of other bands (especially GG, being my personal fave band) piqued my interest enough to check 'em out. I shall report back! Smile

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 04:50
Here's a great sounding live video:

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 04:51
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Heard of but not heard! Your list of other bands (especially GG, being my personal fave band) piqued my interest enough to check 'em out. I shall report back! Smile

I named just some band I feel in love with.

Wobbler does sound a bit like Gentle Giant (and Yes and Camel) but not like Wishbone Ash and Renaissance.Smile
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 06:20
I absolutely love the artwork for Afterglow.
Reminds me of Jeroen Bosch.

Edited by Kingsnake - January 28 2018 at 06:20
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 07:49
Hinterland is utterly BRILLIANT !!
In fact, everything they’ve done is PERFECT
I haven’t got their latest yet
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 08:27
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Hinterland is utterly BRILLIANT !!
In fact, everything they’ve done is PERFECT
I haven’t got their latest yet

I love all their previous works too and very good!...   Smile    Have to admit,  having a hard with this new album Confused... Too complex for me and lacks those melodies I enjoy.  Also not too keen in the singing on this album... I've listen to this albums  4 times and each time is been very hard.. 

I'm not a huge fan of complex music.  Certain GG and KC albums test my listening capacity,  so my albums are limited to those I can listen too!..Smile

Edited by noni - January 28 2018 at 08:28
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 09:15
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Now that their new album 'From Silence to Somehere' has rocked my world, I have fallen in love all over again.

In my teens (90's) I fell in love time after time after time again with band like Gentle Giant, Camel, Yes, Barclay James Harvest, Renaissance, Wishbone Ash, etc.

And now I apparently fall in love with that kind of music again through bands like Beardfish and Wobbler.
I absolutely adore it.

I hope to have great conversations here about Wobbler, and see obscure youtube-videos and have a moment to have a closer look at their artwork.

You might be interested in a series of videos created by Wobbler that documents the creation and recording of Rites at Dawn.  It's kind of fascinating to see the crude studio and equipment they used to create such a gorgeous recording.  Here's the first video... Search for "Recording the Third Wobbler Album" for the others.

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 09:21
Count me in!  On the Wobbler bandwagon.
  Every afterglow organic indigo unfurls in my sweet spot. 
Upon the hinterland the rites of dawn wow and wave
after silence then Wobbler.  Wonderful to watch when a band
 out of nowhere scores somewhere like Wobbler and lands on top for a while...     

Edited by omphaloskepsis - January 28 2018 at 09:25
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 09:32
Great band, and their new album is magnificent!
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 11:33
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

I absolutely adore it.

You might be interested in a series of videos created by Wobbler that documents the creation and recording of Rites at Dawn.  It's kind of fascinating to see the crude studio and equipment they used to create such a gorgeous recording.  Here's the first video... Search for "Recording the Third Wobbler Album" for the others.

Great, thanks!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 12:13
Bought Afterglow about 8 or so years ago after a recommendation of a Norwegian client and I wasn't disappointed! Lots of creative energy and respectful but non restricting nods to the past. Then saw them at 'Summers end' about 2011 (or was it 12?..) and bought 'Rites at Dawn' which I really like but have to say that it is basically Yes 1971... which after the nonsense that was 'fly from here' was actually really nice to hear.. I know there is lots of negative debate about 'Retro' prog bands but to be honest if one ageing original member of a classic band can build a group of young energetic musicians around him or herself to re-create sounds of the past, why cant young, energetic musicians just create music that knowingly and respectfully 'nods' to the past anyway? Its a damn sight better than any prog group tribute band!' Ok, you could just listen to 'Fragile' instead but on a stage, i'd much much rather see Wobbler live than any vague remnant of what used to be Yes.

The new lp is taking time to grow on me..i do like it and the alchemical, Cabbalistic and other esoteric references in the artwork and lyrics are noted and maybe its that which is actually obscuring the music a little for me.. I had the same (well, considerbly more so, actually) with Astra lp 'The Black Chord'.. I think (I hope) it will just take a few more plays to blow away the excess smoke which floats over the music.

Its a real shame that bands like Wobbler probably wont ever be in a situation to tour more extensively and I count myself lucky to have seen them live.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 13:18
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Its a real shame that bands like Wobbler probably wont ever be in a situation to tour more extensively and I count myself lucky to have seen them live.

They were supposed to play at Progtoberfest in Chicago this past October, but according to their facebook page...
As some you may know we were deprived of the opportunity to play at Progtoberfest in Chicago on Saturday 21st of October. We're absolutely gutted by this, and shocked beyond words at how we were treated by US Customs.
They have announced an upcoming performance in Canada...
We are very happy to announce that we will play at the Terra Incognita Festival in Quebec on the 19th of May, 2018!
Because of their horrible experience with US Customs, they will probably never be back to the USA, even if invited to Rosfest, or Progday, or whatever.  Sad and embarassing.

Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 13:34
Great to hear that they will play in Canada, but that weekend is my neice's graduation (argh!)

I have become a big fan this year. After hearing 'From Silence to Somewhere' I went and bought all their albums. I think the first album 'Hinterland' is also excellent, on the same plane as 'From Silence', as is most of 'Afterglow'. 'Rites at Dawn' is not quite as strong, partly (in my opinion) due to the more commercial writing, and partly due to the new singer trying to sound in places a bit too much like Anderson/Squire for comfort (I think he sounds more like Squire, actually).

What was their experience with US customs? I haven't heard that story...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 15:02
Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

What was their experience with US customs? I haven't heard that story...

Here is an article from a Norwegian webpage (http://prognytt.no).  I had to use Google Translate to get this.  The second paragraph was a little messed up at the beginning, but after viewing the native Norwegian, I think I decoded it:
Four of the five members of Wobbler were refused entry to the United States on Friday. The band was going to play at Progtoberfest in Chicago, but instead had to spend the night in a custody cell at the airport.

[The band were] on the poster along with greats such as The Tangent, Karmakanic and Pineapple Thief.

Wobbler was going to the scene on Friday night American time, but was stopped at the airport, apparently because they did not have the right type of visa. Fifth man took another flight, with the same type of visa, and was not stopped.

"Due to unforeseen circumstances, Wobbler is unable to perform at Progtoberfest as customs had to send them back home to Norway at the airport," announces the organizers.

Prognosis has been announced that the Norwegian Consulate was also in the picture without success and has contacted the Norwegian Consulate in Chicago to get a statement if possible.

Spending the night in a custody cell at the airport?  Aargh!  I am so ashamed of this country, and sad that Wobbler might never set foot here again, after that treatment.

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 15:28
That's appalling! I mean its tough enough trying to locate and hire/ beg/ seal/ borrow all the original analogue equipment needed to play the concert! That's really tough on all the American fans.. And unbelievably tough on the band having the indignities of having to spend the night in the cells!! 

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2018 at 16:26
A very good band - who I came across a couple of years ago. I like all the albums, including the latest one. Each has its own feel - I feel the Gentle Giant influence is stronger on this latest one. As someone warming to Gentle Giant after years of struggle and persistence (and PA's analysis and advice), that's no bad thing, either!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 13:02
I LOVE WOBBLER!!!

(Next time they come to the US I hope they don't try to come in via a tourist visa. That was the problem from what I've heard...) 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 13:24
^Judging by their reaction to the whole customs debacle I think the US has seen the last of Wobbler.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 13:40
How ironic is this given our fearless leader's comment about sh*thole countries and wanting more immigrants from places like Norway?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>