Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgenesis ( selling england by the pound )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: genesis ( selling england by the pound )
    Posted: February 27 2018 at 09:44
The most i can say about this record is it is truly one of the most remarkable genesis moments ever recorded.To myself it is a album filled with classic genesis songs, a fond farewell to England of yesterday starting with DANCING WITH THE MOONLIGHT KNIGHT to the closing THE CINEMA SHOW other great songs include I KNOW WHAT I LIKE (IN YOUR WARDROBE) and the phil collins singing i think for the 1st time (not sure ) in MORE FOOL ME the musicianship and arrangements a above par, especially steve hacketts guitarwork in AFTER THE ORDEAL all in all great songs from a great band p.s on a personal note a shout out to the band THE MUSICIAL BOX which i have seen 7 times perform, some of these songs perfectly if you can get a ticket it is well worth the investment . thank you for taking the time to read grant

Edited by grantman - February 28 2018 at 16:52
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 21:06
I love that album too, for me the best they did.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 22:30
To me Nursery, Foxtrot, Selling and Lamb Lies are almost equally greatest Genesis-albums, but I think in Lamb they rise even little greater than in those earlier albums. There is something really haunting in that double that isn´t in those three albums. Really love that story of wounded mind that heal. One reason might be also that Lamb was my first Genesis-album. But yes, enjoy also every moment in Selling too, even those pop pieces (I know what I like, More Fool me).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 22:37
Great album, one of my favorites from Genesis. 

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 01:44
Foxtrot and SEBTP are my favorites from Genesis, hands down. They reached an apex of prog in 1972-1974 with each of those records and tours. Lamb is great but nothing touches those two records for me!

Foxtrot is a perfect 10/10 prog record.

SEBTP is ALMOST PERFECT. "More Fool Me" brings it from a 10/10 to a 9.9/10 for me. I can't figure out why they included that track on there; it really breaks the flow of the album for me, and doesn't feel like it belongs at all (personal opinion)! I almost wanted to make a thread about that topic; I just might...

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - February 28 2018 at 01:47

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 02:08
It's arguably the peak of the Gabriel era. You can hear how they have matured as musicans since Foxtrot (which is actually my favourite Gabrel era album)

SEBTP is a classy and well performed and recorded album. Firth of Fifth, Cinema Show and Dancing with the Moonlit Knight are among the best songs they ever wrote. I don't mind Battle of Epping Forest. It doesn't 'hang together' brilliantly, but has some fine moments. More Fool Me is unecessary, and I know what I like is...well...the single off the album. For it's high points though, it's at least a 4 star work. IMO.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 02:11
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

It's arguably the peak of the Gabriel era. You can hear how they have matured as musicans since Foxtrot (which is actually my favourite Gabrel era album)

SEBTP is a classy and well performed and recorded album. Firth of Fifth, Cinema Show and Dancing with the Moonlit Knight are among the best songs they ever wrote. I don't mind Battle of Epping Forest. It doesn't 'hang together' brilliantly, but has some fine moments. More Fool Me is unecessary, and I know what I like is...well...the single off the album. For it's high points though, it's at least a 4 star work. IMO.

Foxtrot might actually be my favorite Genesis record the more I think about it...

Even though SEBPT is their renowned masterpiece, Foxtrot just feels like "more perfect" of a record to me. Yes those killer tracks are essential, but there's something about the flow of SEBTP that breaks up more than Foxtrot for me.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 02:55
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Foxtrot might actually be my favorite Genesis record the more I think about it...

Even though SEBPT is their renowned masterpiece, Foxtrot just feels like "more perfect" of a record to me. Yes those killer tracks are essential, but there's something about the flow of SEBTP that breaks up more than Foxtrot for me.

Absolutely. The flow of the album isn't so good, I agree. Also every track on Foxtrot is at least 'very good'
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 03:19
Fantastic album - just a notch below Foxtrot for me - but I always liked the slightly more modern sound they got on the album - and Firth of Fifth and Cinema Show are rather good. I understand why many do consider it their favourite.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 04:54
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

The most i can say about this record is it is truly one of the most remarkable genesis moments ever recorded.To myself it is a album filled with classic genesis songs, a fond farewell to England of yesterday starting with DANCING WITH THE MOONLIGHT KNIGHT to the closing THE CINEMA SHOW other great songs include I KNOW WHAT I LIKE (IN YOUR WARDROBE) and the phil collins singing i think for the 1st time (not sure ) in MORE FOOL ME the musicianship and arrangements a above par, especially steve hacketts guitarwork in AFTER THE ORDEAL all in all great songs from a great band p.s on a personal note a shout out to the band THE MUSICIAL BOX which i have seen 7 times performs, some of these songs perfectly if you can get a ticket it is well worth the investment . thank you for taking the time to read grant

Just to be really picky, Cinema show isn't the closing track. Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 05:05
I never understood why More Fool Me is so hated, disliked by so many. 
It's not Phil's first song singing, didn't he also sing on For Absent Friends? 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 05:30
^I think Phil started to sing in back as soon as he started in Genesis. But More Fool Me was his first solo piece.

Edited by Mortte - February 28 2018 at 05:30
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 08:14
sorry aisle of plenty ,if i review something i really should pay attention detail thanks chopper
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 08:48

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Absolutely. The flow of the album isn't so good, I agree. Also every track on Foxtrot is at least 'very good'

Exactly. Firth of Fifth, Epping Forest, and Cinema Show are some of THE strongest Genesis tracks.

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I never understood why More Fool Me is so hated, disliked by so many. 
It's not Phil's first song singing, didn't he also sing on For Absent Friends? 

That's the thing; I LOVE Phil Collins. It breaks the flow of the Gabriel-era magic, especially on SEBTP for me. It feels out of place, despite being a great song!

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 09:22
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

sorry aisle of plenty ,if i review something i really should pay attention detail thanks chopper 

To be fair, they do run into each other.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 13:38
Great album.....for me one of the 3 best...Foxtrot, Cryme and Selling...Lamb being behind those three for me.
But More Fool Me is simply a weak song and imho Phil should have saved it for Trick or Wind. It simply doesn't fit on SEBTP.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 15:36
oh definitely the prog Genesis album I enjoy most..  however it wouldn't be a prog Genesis album without the warts and boy did it have some. At 3 complete stinkers which completely remove it from 5 star territory. However it did have the two best things they did in the 70's..  Cinema Show which I'd put against the best anyone else did, high praise indeed, and Dancing with the Moonlit Knight which showed what that group MIGHT have been if they had leaned more on the one real talent, Hatchet, in that band.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 16:33
Most certainly  (if I remember well - 40 years have left some damages) the album that hooked me definitely on this kind of music ... well, with some help from Trilogy, Snow Goose and TFTO for sure
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 06:38
I really like More Fool Me. Phil is superb on that and the guitar is great. My problem is Battle Of Epping Forest. Apparently it's ok for Genesis to arse around for 10 minutes but not for ELP to do it for 2 minutes (Yes I do have a chip on my shoulder!) , The rest of the album is truly brilliant though.

Edited by richardh - March 01 2018 at 06:38
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 06:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I really like More Fool Me. Phil is superb on that and the guitar is great. My problem is Battle Of Epping Forest. Apparently it's ok for Genesis to arse around for 10 minutes but not for ELP to do it for 2 minutes (Yes I do have a chip on my shoulder!) , The rest of the album is truly brilliant though.

LOL
I'm learning new words and expressions, I'm gonna add "to arse around" to my vocabulary. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>