Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgenesis ( selling england by the pound )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 08:23
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I really like More Fool Me. Phil is superb on that and the guitar is great. My problem is Battle Of Epping Forest. Apparently it's ok for Genesis to arse around for 10 minutes but not for ELP to do it for 2 minutes (Yes I do have a chip on my shoulder!) , The rest of the album is truly brilliant though.

I've always felt like Gabriel-era Genesis transcended contemporary music, especially prog, and told a story.

ELP is like musical masturbation to me, and this is coming from a Gentle Giant fan boi.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 08:58
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I really like More Fool Me. Phil is superb on that and the guitar is great. My problem is Battle Of Epping Forest. Apparently it's ok for Genesis to arse around for 10 minutes but not for ELP to do it for 2 minutes (Yes I do have a chip on my shoulder!) , The rest of the album is truly brilliant though.

I've always felt like Gabriel-era Genesis transcended contemporary music, especially prog, and told a story.

ELP is like musical masturbation to me, and this is coming from a Gentle Giant fan boi.

Yeah, that's pretty rich coming from a GG fanantic..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 09:01
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Which is exactly why I tend to duck of out ELP conversation LOL.

I do enjoy Trilogy though.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 20:34
My love of SEBTP comes from the extended instrumental passages in songs like Dancing With the Moonlight Knight, Firth of Fifth and The Cinema Show. It is so good to hear Genesis just cut loose and jam for a while without worrying about clever lyrics or strange costumes. Just the band doing what they did best - PLAY. 
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 04:23
Originally posted by SquonkHunter SquonkHunter wrote:

My love of SEBTP comes from the extended instrumental passages in songs like Dancing With the Moonlight Knight, Firth of Fifth and The Cinema Show. It is so good to hear Genesis just cut loose and jam for a while without worrying about clever lyrics or strange costumes. Just the band doing what they did best - PLAY. 

Yep although Cinema Show on Seconds Out is even better especially with when Chester and Phil get going.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12