Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dark Side left audio - right audio on youtube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usenclosure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dark Side left audio - right audio on youtube
    Posted: May 24 2018 at 22:05
Hi All,

We have produced nearly 100 different right audio channel minus left audio channel youtube files, many with progressive bands.  This technique is also known as Difference Audio Channel.  What occurs is much of the effects are stripped from the music and the background portion of the mix is pushed forward while the front and center portion is suppressed.  In essence it is a different mix of a song or recording.  For example we have uploaded Echo's, the entire Dark Side of the Moon, and a portion of Shine On by Pink Floyd.

To locate your youtube channel use your fav web search and type in Youtube USenclosure.  Using Google, we are at the very top or near the very top of the findings.  The Floyd was one of the first we did so just click through to the end of our channel-- about 100 uploads.

We do NOT make money as youtube would not allow this kind of copyright thing to occur if we made money and we do not want a thumbs up or anything.  Just check it out and hopefully you will enjoy.

Regards,
US Enclosure
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 02:12
This is the second post I'm seeing of yours like this; why is this technique so great, and are you asking us to help you find the links, or are you telling us it's out there, and we just need to search for it...?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 08:24
Hi,

If you want to listen to the effects and the background stuff, in a few albums, you went to it, I think, the long way to get not enough of anything that would add to the experience of listening to the album.

There is a better way, that will show you a huge difference, a lot better, however, finding these nowadays, will probably be impossible and a good result is not likely to be seen, but it tells you the story, of what became the "remastered" and the "re-bss'ed" lot of CD's, and eventually, the really sad quality/ability of what SW has done to some of the older albums.

Here are a few examples, and most of this happened between 1966 and 1974, and after that things changed some.

Beatles - Sgt Peppers. The American release was a copy of an English album found somewhere in the fowled waters of the San Francisco Bay, or one of the worst lakes in America. It was muddy, and the background was intentionally buried, probably with the thought that it was not something that American audiences would enjoy hearing and listening to. The music was still nice, but it was 2-dimensional compared to the English original pressing.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side. Again, the American pressing was a copy that was found in some slum somewhere, amidst the rubble that included some poop and a lot of pee. Many of the background bits were buried and the album was, again, one of those where, the effects and bits were as buried and unheard and understood as possible. IF, you hear the English original pressing, these are all so clear, that it makes the album a completely different listen, as opposed to the America, hit song mentality. 

A lot of the "remix" this and that, as well as the "remastered" this and that, never/EVER brought back the quality of these two albums, and never have any other albums. SW's idea of placing the instruments in a different combination/placement, did not improve KC of GG. To my ear, it muddled it up some more, although one could say it was "cleaner" than the original, but the feeling that one gets from these are, usually, an "alienation", that hurts the quality of the music ... sure you can hear RF better, compared to the original, but the whole of the song/piece, has such a different point of attack and interest that it changes the original song to something else. AND, it lacks the "soul" and quality of the original performance, many of which were not hurt by constant changes and edits that made the album "better", but took our the subtleties that make a performance, or album, better than it looks and is.

No artist out there, is out to "hide" something. What is there, is there for a reason, but the control that a lot of record companies had, to make decisions that basically stated that you were too stupid to know what the "public" wanted, is the issue, and we have to wake up to that reality. 

The worst result of all this, is that today, so few folks have the ability, talent, and desire to add sound effects and work with something that is "atmospheric" and telling, and sometimes as close to "Revolution #9", which is so simple that we can not even "get it", when we hear it and find it crap ... you have never walked down the street and turned on a tape recorder, have you? It seems like everything is all over the place and yet ... it's a day in life, right there in front of you.

Many of these albums, tried to give you that. The problem is that too many folks in the audience don't care enough for the completeness of the work, and its art, and only think of it as a song and a hit, and not a piece of valuable art, that it really is, specially when it comes to Sgt Peppers and Dark Side and ITCOTCK. Albums where the "life" in them, was so much greater than the songs themselves. In fact, sometimes taking the songs out of context, makes the albums sound plain, and mostly boring. And grossly uneven, and incomplete.

So, what are you listening to? If it was to find the jazzy riffs by Richard, it would be more interesting, since there are so many layers to his keyboard work (check out Broken China), and by themselves, they sound so different and would change the song immediately ... did you ever consider that?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 09:26
Thanks for the info. I will check it out.
Usenclosure View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usenclosure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 09:40
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 09:55
Well, most of the remix issues of late, especially the ones by Steven Wilson, have been done with the approval of the original artists or at least them knowing what he is doing to the music.
There is much written about his work on the JTull/KC/XTC reissues, do I love all the remix no.....but do most of them improve on the original issue, yes.

I don't for one second feel that ALL original mixes from the 70's are the best and exude what the artists intended. Back then the record execs had tremendous power over an artists output and how it eventually sounded. Today, we have the digital loudness wars and most is mixed loud to gain attention and or because it will be used only on phones via streaming.

I have zero desire to hear some mix that has been played with......I really don't know what the OP is asking us to do.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 10:21
^ The OP's process is a way for remixing the original songs. I believe this is a case where what is removed, re-centered, re-panned, etc., and hence 'remixed', is not always what may necessarily sound good to the listener. Just very different. He seems to be asking us to give it a listen.

Edited by SteveG - May 25 2018 at 10:23
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 10:36
^ 10-4
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 11:31
Everyone always thinks they can build a better mousetrap....
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Lamneth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lamneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 12:49
What you're essentially hearing is only the stuff in the mix that's been panned to one side or another, or minute differences in the stereo recording.  Hot for Teacher is a particularly good example of this because the early Van Halen recordings the instruments are hard-panned with the vocals in stereo.  It's almost like the early Beatles mixes.  So on your mix of it you can hear almost everything except the vocals.  I guess it's a good way to analyze recordings or isolate certain instruments from recordings, but otherwise this technique is not particularly interesting.

p.s. - Don't let these guys get their hands on any surround sound mixes. ;)

Edited by Lamneth - May 25 2018 at 13:48
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 13:53
So...you're dropping one stereo channel and replacing that channel with the one that remains?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 13:58
What happens if you play it upside down, backwards and at 78RPM at midnight?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 14:01
^ Duh! You murder your parents silly!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 14:12
@Lemneth: Well, I gotta go. I suggest that you play around with surround mixes and make a stereo mix from that (which is what I thought you were doing), as that technique is particularly interesting and if done well, will blow your mind.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 10:37
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

... amidst the rubble that included some poop and a lot of pee. 

I sometimes catalog with my eyes closed. They should make paper towels the size of beach towels.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 18:48
Isn't it just a karaoke mix?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 09:32
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

What happens if you play it upside down, backwards and at 78RPM at midnight?

Hi,

Try Robert Schroeder's first album on KS's label IC. The album could be played on 45RPM and 33RPM, and it was magnificent either way. I always preferred the 33RPM version, because it was heavy, Teutonic and far out!

I doubt that this LP can be found these days ... or it will be expensive and probably scratched senseless.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 09:16
I honestly can't see the point of it.

Mixing an album takes a lot of time and experience. Getting a mix right is very hard work. (Especially when you're an idiot like me and write a 37 minute track).

To properly mix a track, you need all the individual instrument recordings which you apply effects to and  then balance. You then master an album by applying effects to all the tracks to get a cohesive sound. It's not easy. 

Taking one track - which is already mixed by an engineer - and then basically putting high level effects - will produce a track with an altered sound, but it's not really mixing a track, more radically altering it. I haven't listened to the example above and I don't honestly think I should, to be honest. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 09:55
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I haven't listened to the example above and I don't honestly think I should, to be honest. 

You really should ... it is something that is really far out, and not the same .... as everything else out there.

If it's about the experience, this is where it succeeds. If it is only about your DAW ability and your ideas, then ... forget it ... but let's not suggest that others can not have ideas over the millenia and that nothing was ever done with it, or about it ... because there was a lot in the 70's that no one discusses or knows about, or has heard.

Folks, specially here, still DO NOT KNOW, how much better a lot of this music sounded on an FM radio signal of quality, like those in LA at the time, and in Santa Barbara where I was. It gave the music a much bigger/better feel than it was EVER there. 

It was a time for EXPERIMENTS, and a lot of things worked and some didn't. The fact, and you know it, is that a lot of it worked and became known ... and as usual, ten times as many got lost in the shuffle and no one has the heart to listen to it, and think about it!

Even better, one time, was Guy Guden's fun .... remember the cover of UMMAGUMMA? ... Guy did the same thing with the radio, and it was LIVE ... and phenomenal. The album that was used, was Daevid Allen's newest at the time ... GOOD MORNING. And hearing it 'echoing" 5 times or more, was excellent! A true tribute to PF and its cover ... but the whole thing is so subtle that no one would even try and consider doing it today. And as for radio ... it's just a tape these days anyway, and the same song!

Edited by moshkito - June 01 2018 at 09:55
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply