Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frank Zappa and prog?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frank Zappa and prog?
    Posted: June 20 2018 at 13:23
Frank Zappa is artist with lot albums
i prefer music that tendency to symphonic, prog , classical
i am not interested totally in traditional blues and jazz

What supposedly  prog songs ZAPPA have 
MADE IN PROG

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 13:31

Enjoy!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 13:50
Zappa actually wrote modern "classical" music too, for example "The Yellow Shark" which he recorded with the Ensemble Modern

Edited by BaldJean - June 20 2018 at 13:51

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 14:11
Inca Roads comes to mind as one of his more prog songs. Lots of his instrumentals have prog elements to them such as time signature changes, feel changes & unusual instrumentation.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 15:46
For the most part...Zappa worked out of the blues rock format with avant garde and jazz additions...certainly not traditional , but not what one would consider symphonic prog.
Maybe some eclectic prog here and there...I would try Hot Rats, Apostrophe, and One Size Fits All....if those don;t do it for you...move on.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieronymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 15:49
Zoot Allures strikes me as a bit Prog, with "Wind Up Working in a Gas Station" (5/4 under the "chorus", plus possibly symbolic lyrics), "The Torture Never Stops" with the medieval lyrics and fretless guitar, "Friendly Little Finger" uses xenochrony (putting together separate performances in completely different times, etc.).

Or how about the Grand Wazoo with the big band? Interesting orchestrations with a big sound but still rock. I like Weasels Ripped My Flesh too - earlier stuff, a lot of it live, a lot of it weird!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 17:27
I am surprised no-one mentioned "Overnite Sensation"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 04:43
Is progressive rock in crisis because of Zappa?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 06:36
Hi,

This is a scary thread for me.

FZ might not be "progressive" or "prog", but he certainly was one of the most adventurous creators of music during his life, and it is weird, that we feel that we have to root him to some kind of definition, that would not fit his work whtsoever. he did specify many times that his work was serious music, and there is no musician that worked with him that did not believe that ... the details were scary and most folks can only do 1,2,3,4 and not anything different with it, above it, or below it, and different for that matter.

His creativity might not be seen a whole lot when you play "We're In It For The Money", and then "Hot Rats", and then "Apostrophe" and then ... "200 Motels", but it is easy to see that he is looking for FAR MORE than just a rock song, and for my tastes, this thread is strictly about a rock song, not FZ's work, at all. 

AND THAT'S NOT FAIR, to a person that spent his life trying to ensure that music was more than just a song on the radio for you to enjoy 3 minutes of your life and go back to be depressed the rest of the time, unless you play Stairway to Harlem one more time!

As I have mentioned before, it is of utmost importance that we begin considering many of these folks as COMPOSERS, not hit makers, and radio songsters. If we do not do this, progressive crap will be dead before you and I are all gray, ugly and wrinkled!

Cry
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 07:23
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

This is a scary thread for me.

FZ might not be "progressive" or "prog", but he certainly was one of the most adventurous creators of music during his life, and it is weird, that we feel that we have to root him to some kind of definition, that would not fit his work whtsoever. he did specify many times that his work was serious music, and there is no musician that worked with him that did not believe that ... the details were scary and most folks can only do 1,2,3,4 and not anything different with it, above it, or below it, and different for that matter.

His creativity might not be seen a whole lot when you play "We're In It For The Money", and then "Hot Rats", and then "Apostrophe" and then ... "200 Motels", but it is easy to see that he is looking for FAR MORE than just a rock song, and for my tastes, this thread is strictly about a rock song, not FZ's work, at all. 

AND THAT'S NOT FAIR, to a person that spent his life trying to ensure that music was more than just a song on the radio for you to enjoy 3 minutes of your life and go back to be depressed the rest of the time, unless you play Stairway to Harlem one more time!

As I have mentioned before, it is of utmost importance that we begin considering many of these folks as COMPOSERS, not hit makers, and radio songsters. If we do not do this, progressive crap will be dead before you and I are all gray, ugly and wrinkled!

You've really lost me there, even more than usual. All he wants to know is what Zappa albums are more proggy and not so much blues/jazz. Seems like a fair question given the volume of his work.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 09:39
I think Absolutely Free is first fullblood progalbum, specially the first side. Highly recommended!
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 09:48
Zappa never really set out to make his own Yes album or King Crimson album, so any prog from him is going to be mixed up with his million other influences.

In addition to what's been mentioned, Zappa In New York contains a few tracks that might appeal to proggers like Cruisin' For Burgers, I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth, Punky's Whips, Pound For A Brown, Black Page #1 and #2 and Sofa. Some of these are heavily rearranged tunes from older albums, so check out the versions from that album in particular.
Gulliver View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 17:00
Hi Moshkito
Youre right
but i dont reduce to compilation the MAGNUM OPUS
I only avoid traditional music : BLUES, JAZZ, DO-WOOP, bored SPOKEN WORDS ,ETC
In the past i hear similar live prog song by FZappa and i like me in the same way like SANTANA (not prog-music) lenghty full live songs

Frank Zappa influenced to S.Vai but S.Vai own proper style
Frank Zappa own songs closer to prog St.Vai extraterrestial prog?

Edited by Gulliver - June 21 2018 at 17:01
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 22:04
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

You've really lost me there, even more than usual. All he wants to know is what Zappa albums are more proggy and not so much blues/jazz. Seems like a fair question given the volume of his work.

I'm not so sure of that. My guess, and it is a guess, is that the OP's person is not really aware that "prog" or "Frank Zappa" can be real music, instead of just songs. 

it is possible that he might be looking for something that is less blues/jazz oriented, and if this is all folks hear in Frank's work, then, in EVERY ALBUM, I think we need to have our ears examined. 

And if he really wants to get off the blues/jazz feel, there is plenty of classically minded stuff, and there is always 200 MOTELS, specially the classical version done at UCLA that no one here can appreciate, and it was magnificent. 

But even after so many years here, I do not see folks that like "songs", even considering something like that ... it's just not in their DNA and tomorrow they will ask for another song sounding like a previous one!

Yeah ... that's really progressive, and we do not teach the difference!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 19:51
That's exactly why he's asking for help, because he hasn't heard all his stuff, and wants to check out what he thinks he would be more likely to enjoy.
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieronymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 22:06
One of the great things about Frank Zappa's music is that he turns convention on its head - what could be more prog than that? I love it when weird sounds intrude - the aroused vacuum cleaner on Chunga's Revenge, the electronic-octave-sax on King Kong as well as the harpsichord and sped-up instruments on the rest of Uncle Meat, the snorts and other sounds that accompany the orchestra, teenage melodies and surf music of Lumpy Gravy - actually, bits and pieces of everything appear everywhere else in the universe of FZ's conceptual continuity - that's why you can jump in practically anywhere and continue searching as you gradually figure out what appeals to you most. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 11:00
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

One of the great things about Frank Zappa's music is that he turns convention on its head - what could be more prog than that? I love it when weird sounds intrude - the aroused vacuum cleaner on Chunga's Revenge, the electronic-octave-sax on King Kong as well as the harpsichord and sped-up instruments on the rest of Uncle Meat, the snorts and other sounds that accompany the orchestra, teenage melodies and surf music of Lumpy Gravy - actually, bits and pieces of everything appear everywhere else in the universe of FZ's conceptual continuity - that's why you can jump in practically anywhere and continue searching as you gradually figure out what appeals to you most.  

One of the things that got me to enjoy the "200 Motels" orchestra piece at UCLA, was just that.

And when you listen to it, I think that you get the idea that the choir and many of the other players, are having fun doing something they always wanted to do with overly-stuffed music, that was not as well written and defined as a lot of the Frank Zappa catalog, and the excitement shows. AND makes the piece better, and you just about have to listen to the last 20 minutes to end up out of breadth and feeling dizzy ... that's not only crazy, insane ... it's also very good, and much better than the average concert that you can go to see your local BS Orchestra do the same tired pieces yet again ... and, of course (in Portland!) not forget Pink Martini, so you don't get bored!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 11:34
I would suggest from around the time of what we would consider the beginning of the prog era (roughly 1968-1970) there are at least 2 songs that simply out-prog King Crimson:

The Little House I Used to Live In (1970)
Peaches en Regalia (1969)

Of course, the synthesis of various musical forms running through a single Zappa composition ofttimes defies generalizations. One minute it's fusion, then it's bop, then it's classical, then it's prog rock, then it's blues. I would say it is the definition of "progressive" -- so pick a genre, and Zappa progressivized it.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 10:57
I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for in Zappa's discography.
There is nothing by him on any record (that I've heard) that sounds anything like symphonic prog.
But there is plenty of great music!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply