Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ars Nova

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ars Nova
    Posted: July 06 2018 at 08:05
I can't find much information on this band other than this:

Ars Nova were group that was together from 1967-1969. They most certainly were a Prog Group, but like many other early prog bands also came out of the Psychedelic music scene, as can be observed in several of their songs (particularly on their second album).

The bands members throughout the course of its existence were: Wyatt Day, Jon Pierson, Maury Baker, Giovanni Papalia, Bill Folwell, Jonathan Raskin, Sam Brown, Jimmy Owens, Art Koenig, Warren Bernhardt, Joe Hunt.

Their first album was a highly interesting endeavor. Released in 1968, the world was royally treated to the eponymous album. Right off the bat you will notice something, these guys love Renaissance/Medieval modes and ideas, with the opening track "Pavan for my Lady," being more influenced by classical music than half of the discography of Gentle Giant. The album also contains a few catchy Psychedelic pop tracks, and in my opinion there was not much to really take issue with on the album, besides perhaps somewhat lower production quality (but this was the 60's and they were on the Elektra label, which was honestly still in its infancy, being only formed in 1950). This first album is worthy of being in any Prog enthusiast's collection in my opinion.

After they opened for The Doors in mid-'68 the band split (for reasons I cannot discover), despite the fact that they were getting some active promotion from media outlets like LIFE magazine. Day and Pierson would form a new version of the band bringing us to their last album.

Their second and final album is more of a mixed bag for me. "Sunshine and Shadows" is almost pure Psychedelic rock, which is to be expected given that it came out in 1969 (coming the same time as albums like "Ummagumma" and "More" by Pink Floyd, "Live/Dead" by Grateful Dead, and "Incredible! Kaleidoscope" by Kaleidoscope). That being said, you can still hear some definite classical influences bleeding through, and the album isn't exactly bad, unless you have little care for Psychedelic rock/pop that is. There are a few more progressive pieces on the album, like "Temporary Serenade" and "She Promises Everything."

After the release of "Sunshine and Shadows" they broke up and nothing more was ever recorded to my knowledge.

This is a band definitely worth checking out, if you are a fan of Prog or Psychedelic music (or especially if both as I am).
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 08:08
A link to "Pavan for my Lady" which I highly suggest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nogiXcGlHZE

Their first album can be obtained digitally for seven dollars on Amazon, and their final album can be gotten on CD off of their as well.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 08:16
They're already listed here on PA: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=28
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 08:27
Wrong band buddy. That is a Japanese Prog band from the 90's.

Ars Nova (1967-1969) is an American prog band. Look at the listing I gave for the members. There are no females there for one.

There are multiple Prog bands named Ars Nova. The one I am talking about was originally a psychedelic group, that (like many others like YES) began moving into prog, and their first album especially is prog (and their second leans that way on around half the tracks).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 08:29

Definitely not the same band.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 08:48
My bad. I am a big Ars Nova fan
Carry on.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 08:50
No problem lol. I enjoy your Ars Nova as well. I just thought this other group needed a little love here on Prog Archives.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 08:57
I just had a listen to Pavan For My Lady and I really like the tune. I do however think you'll find it difficult to find folks on here who hear this as prog. Personally I hear a very delicious mix of baroque pop and psych rock.
I am not affiliated with any of the genreteams on PA though, so they might just hear something I do not.
Best of luck!

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 02:24
Zarathustra is Prog, with a tad of Psychedelia-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RzNgjWg2Zw

Fields of People is definite prog-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgtGkHCK-u0

March of the Mad Duke's Circus is also going that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ignzv65PNI

I definitely suggest taking a look at the whole album, because it is definitely prog, even if it clearly has some Baroque pop and psychedelic leanings at times (as many Prog bands just starting out did).

While many probably disagree, I think they are definitely prog.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 09:27
Tossed to PSIKE (Psych / Space & Indo & Kraut & Electronic) Team. Now under evaluation ...
 Post Reply Post Reply