Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fanfare for the Common Man cover by Rachel Flowers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fanfare for the Common Man cover by Rachel Flowers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rminsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fanfare for the Common Man cover by Rachel Flowers
    Posted: July 10 2018 at 23:26
Fanfare for the Common Man performed by Rachel Flowers with Brain Salad at the Carl Palmer - Art of Giving show.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 09:06
She is truly amazing!!!!!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 11:38
The female equivalent of Peter Jones.

How someone with no vision can play like this astounds me.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 11:51
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

The female equivalent of Peter Jones.

How someone with no vision can play like this astounds me.

I am not sure that music is just a visual exercise of notes. I think that a lot of folks play for the feeling of it, and the actual experience of the energy of the co-ordination of the notes and what not, and specially, how they co-ordinate to one's intense inner feel.

I find your comment strange ... despite knowing how many well known musicians have been blind, and still created fabulous music that we remember so well ... shall we try Ray Charles? How about Stevie Wonder? ...how many more examples do you need to know that music requires no SIGHT to be played, learned and enjoyed?

The one thing that is strange to me, and that is just a mental exercise, is how a DEAF person can create music ... and all I can come up with is that the other 4 senses pick up the percentage missing and provide a feel for it that we can not describe very well. The School for the Deaf here in Vancouver has a lot of music shows with the kids playing and dancing to it ... and I doubt that it is just the bass boom that they feel. See what I mean?

Rachel, possibly, is too young at this time to actually be able to word how she remembers and plays so much and learns so fast and so far, compared to our imaginations ... but that maybe a very simple factor of her being "blind" which cuts down a lot of things for her to do, thus allowing time and space for other things, and in her case, music, which no doubt she is an excellent listener and capable of dis-assembling it in so many parts and then come around to play it ... just remembering how the sounds came and existed, is probably a factor of memory and in learning any instrument ... we don't have that (this is my idea!) simply because we are too concerned with notes and chords, in order to concentrate on the feel of each and every note, the continuity of which is what defines "music" ... not the definition of each and every note. You created it, by humming, not playing with notes, so to speak. The humming part is way easier to remember and feel, than just speaking notes and thinking that notes dominate music. 

Dave might feel differently, but I am pretty sure he has a very good feel for the "humm" part of things, specially in experimental instruments, in creating his music.

Edited by moshkito - July 11 2018 at 11:53
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 16:41
Color me astonishable. As usual.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 17:07
Splendid.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 03:52
Love her Clap
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 04:06
'She plays like wood'
-Marissa Helene

In all seriousness: Rachel is brilliant and one of a rare few who can pull these things off without falling flat on her behind. Kudos.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2018 at 11:43
Rachel is an amazing lady and her love for Keith's work is notorious, it was emotional seeing her playing The Endless Enigma in the Emerson Tribute concert with tears in her eyes.
 Post Reply Post Reply