FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Rock Cover Songs You Like

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Rock Cover Songs You Like
    Posted: March 09 2024 at 02:40
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Nice. Indeed I miss so much beautiful music from the original song, but for its purpose this one is very nice and enjoyable.

That's taken from her covers album 'Mockingbird' which is well worth a listen.

https://www.discogs.com/master/915066-Kendra-Morris-Mockingbird
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2024 at 00:32
Originally posted by Floydoid Floydoid wrote:

Just how do you nail SOYCD in 4½ minutes?

Nice. Indeed I miss so much beautiful music from the original song, but for its purpose this one is very nice and enjoyable.
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 16:00
Just how do you nail SOYCD in 4½ minutes?

'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 10:28
And finally...

Shadow Gallery - Release, Release

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 10:20
Robert Berry - Roundabout

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 09:56
Magellan - Don't Kill The Whale

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 09:54
Midge Ure - Living In The Past

Edited by JD - March 07 2024 at 09:55
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 09:51
Keith Emerson - Living In The Past

Edited by JD - March 07 2024 at 09:51
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 09:44
Dream Theater - The Big Medley

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 09:31
Firth Of Fifth (by Genesis) for Piano - 2nd vers. (2014) - Massimo Bucci

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 09:23

Harry Styles Covers Peter Gabriel’s “Sledgehammer”

Edited by JD - March 07 2024 at 09:23
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 09:07
I like this Polish cover of Eloy's Time to Turn by Budka Suflera

“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
AntManBee View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntManBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 08:25
Starship Trooper/Yes has been revisioned by Brad Mehldau off of his Jacob’s Ladder release.

https://youtu.be/aW52f-k4Hb4
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2023 at 07:43
This Tim Buckley cover by This Mortal Coil (featuring Elisabeth Fraser on vocals) is stunning. One of the most meaningful reinterpretations of a song ever.

essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2023 at 07:23
I much prefer the funky version of Pink Floyd’s Money by Dan Reed Network - the original sounds out of place on DSOTM anyway, to me…
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2023 at 12:38
The Neville Brothers reprise of Dylan's With God on our side is a pure gem
(part of The Neville Brothers 'EP Yellow Moon)
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2023 at 10:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

But I doubt that anyone has had more songs covered, than Bob Dylan. We probably could start a list of this, but I'm not sure we would ever end it.

According to secondhandsongs.com, 324 of Bob Dylan's compositions have been covered by other artists. His most covered songs are:

1) Blowin' in the Wind: 405 versions
2) Make You Feel My Love: 233 versions
3) Knockin' on Heaven's Door: 211 versions
4) Mr. Tambourine Man: 210 versions
5) I Shall Be Released: 194 versions
6) All Along the Watchtower: 189 versions
7) Like a Rolling Stone: 169 versions
8) The Times They Are A-Changin': 169 versions
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2023 at 08:46
Interesting thing about Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower", once Dylan heard it, he said couldn't unhear it. When Dylan played it again over the years, he was playing the Hendrix version.  
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2023 at 06:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I once purchased a Bob Dylan compilation 2 CD set just to get the MP3 rip of The Hurricane. That is the only thing by him that he recorded that I care about. You are right in suggesting that cover versions of his songs are much more appealing, Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower is the obvious one but there are plenty more examples I'm sure.

Hi,

About 50 years ago, one of the best selling bootlegs around, was named "The Basement Tapes" ... and it was 3 LP's. Later this re-surfaced as 2 LP's. The main thing in some of the songs here was that the lyrics were changed somewhat, and different ... fast forward to the release of this stuff more recently, and you do not hear or see anything of this at all ... making the current purchase not worthy of consideration. The last time I saw the triple bootleg listed, it was over $2K.

A poet (any poet), is often known to change words, depending on their mood and the situation, so adding/subtracting/changing different words is a natural function of a "wordsmith" ... and something that the ROCK MUSIC world has a hard time with since they all fight for the purity and virginal states of any music ... never mind Roger, or Chuck Berry, or Elvis! 

All in all, Bob's rendition of a lot of the songs that became famous elsewhere (MM once joked that Manfred Mann "made" Bob Dylan with the Mighty Quinn!) is of almost no interest or consequence compared to how so many of his songs were done by others and much better, which suggests that Bob himself does not care about how they sound or come out ... he's done with that song the day it is recorded.

But I doubt that anyone has had more songs covered, than Bob Dylan. We probably could start a list of this, but I'm not sure we would ever end it.

Edited by moshkito - August 30 2023 at 06:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2023 at 21:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Manfred Mann's Earth Band deserves an entire post just to themselves. Between 1976-1986, they covered:

Hi,

MM always said he liked Bob Dylan, and something changed by the time that he started using others, than Bob Dylan, starting with Bruce Springsteen, and then Mike Heron. 

Just about every one of his redo's of Bob's songs, are actually very nice and give you a new perception of Bob's lyrics, something that we ignore when he sings them! I think his voice, and sometimes attitude within it, is too cynical or not with it, for us to enjoy it. But, it is his song, and he has a right to do it in any way he wishes.

reminds me that The Nice covered My Back Pages and Country Pie.

I once purchased a Bob Dylan compilation 2 CD set just to get the MP3 rip of The Hurricane. That is the only thing by him that he recorded that I care about. You are right in suggesting that cover versions of his songs are much more appealing, Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower is the obvious one but there are plenty more examples I'm sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>