Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Rock Cover Songs You Like

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 15:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

and I also really like Dream Theater's cover of Xanadu on the recent expanded release of A Farewell To Kings. They do covers incredibly well.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 15:32
Just because.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 19:36
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

The only one I know off hand is Areknames version of 'Snails' by Gnidrolog.. a contemporary Italian heavy prog doing a very tidy job of a tricky classic..

I'm sure that ive got a Finisterre lp that is very very good except for the 2 covers, 1 Genesis and 1 VDGG (with out digging the lp out I cant remember which tracks) both pretty awful if I remember right..

On Storybook they're playing the main theme of In the Court of the Crimson King and 21st Century Schizoid Man + the Firth of Fifth guitar solo inbetween introducing band members at the end of the show (the Phaedra track). Not really covers, more of a wink to the people in the audience imo and a nice little tribute to these two 70s prog giants. Always liked it.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 21:50

^ I love the second half of A Change Of Seasons which features covers of Carry On Wayward Sun and Achilles Last Stand. Probably my favourite DT album actually , the title piece is massively underated imo.

I do like the A Change of Seasons very well, though there are Epics from DT that I like even more. As for the covers side, it is interesting, but I think they did better covers later on. One disappointing thing for me is that I almost never like medleys (it frustrates me to have the songs incomplete). I would much rather they had played the whole Achilles Last Stand song with full metal guitars... I don't think that song woul have needed much upgrading in the prog aspect. And there's a few songs within the medley last track that I wish they had played whole.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 21:54

and I also really like Dream Theater's cover of Xanadu on the recent expanded release of A Farewell To Kings. They do covers incredibly well.

I haven't heard the Xanadu one yet, I guess I should listen to it and get it. Indeed they do the covers very well... I mean, they can play just about anything, but usually I like the originals better, since I feel I'm missing some of the magic of the originals. My favourite covers they have done are Stargazer (on this one they did turn up the metal guitar), Hallowed be thy name, and To Tame a Land. I guess Child in Time and Heaven and Hell are close behind.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 21:57
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Big Train cover of Master of Time is pretty strong too.

Yes - forgot to mention that one. Big Big Train turned a thoughtful, acoustic-driven song by Ant into something bigger and even more memorable. Covers seem to work best when lesser known songs are reinvented.

I agree that many covers by established bands covering their peers tend to be quite safe - it's the old argument, I suppose - if you are going to cover a classic track, do something different with it, otherwise why are you really bothering. I understand tribute/covers bands trying to recreate them as precisely as possible when played live - but popular prog bands in their own right should try more - as the examples above show. Otherwise, stick to creating your own music - which must be artistically more interesting and challenging.

I didn't know Big Big Train played this song. I really wish they would do a whole Genesis tribute album... perhaps in collaboration with Steve Hackett (I feel their sound would work very nicely with those Genesis classics, and it's obvious Genesis were one of their most important influences). But I guess this song would will have to do.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 22:01
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

I think Spock's Beard actually improved on George Harrison's "Beware of Darnkess."

I like the whole Rush "Feedback" album.  Even though I'm a big Rush fan, I thought going in that the band wasn't suited for those songs, and they would be horrible butcher jobs.  I was pleasantly surprised and that's one of the things that even impressed me more about the band; that they had the range do to that playlist.  

I did like the Feedback album too. That's a great example of how I like bands to treat their covers, in this case really turning them into Rush songs.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 23:02
I always loved the cover tunes Yes did on their early albums, including the Beatles song "Every Little Thing" (with some amazing guitar work by Peter Banks).  Yes did a lot of covers to fill up their shows in the early days from what I've read.  

Edited by cstack3 - August 30 2018 at 23:03
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 05:39
I actually prefer The Watch's version of Stagnation to the original (the Genesis tune).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 10:55
Frequent cover artist Circe Link handles a couple Yes classics fairly well, one low key and acoustic, the other more rockin'.  

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 20:07
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Frequent cover artist Circe Link handles a couple Yes classics fairly well, one low key and acoustic, the other more rockin'.  

Thanks, those are excellent!! 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 20:31
I actually think Dream Theater were pretty good at covers. They even did a few full albums of them although that was probably a mistake. :)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 31 2018 at 20:32
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 20:40
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I always loved the cover tunes Yes did on their early albums, including the Beatles song "Every Little Thing" (with some amazing guitar work by Peter Banks).  Yes did a lot of covers to fill up their shows in the early days from what I've read.  

I think the covers Yes did were great, and just the right way to do a cover, making the songs completley their own... too bad the songs they chose to cover are not ones I actually like, and the final result doesn't make me like them much more. Still, I do love how they worked them, I only wish it had been some other songs instead.
SonomaComa1999 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonomaComa1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 22:33
I'm pretty sure Phish covered the entire White album by the Beatles at one of their shows. Always loved that band; it's pure improv and each concert is different. Are they even on the site?
"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..." -Frank Zappa
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 07:44
Hi,

Dream Theater and Queensryche doing that WHO song as an encore in their tour.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 11:49
Originally posted by SonomaComa1999 SonomaComa1999 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Phish covered the entire White album by the Beatles at one of their shows. Always loved that band; it's pure improv and each concert is different. Are they even on the site?

I saw Cheap Trick do all of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club" in concert a few years ago, it was amazing! 

Not exactly a prog band, but they did a hell of a job!  

Phish is a fine band, they seem to be progressive at some level. 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 17:13
Mostly Autumn's Pink Floyd Revisited CD/DVD has some good interpretations of a range of Pink Floyd tracks. However, with the huge number of PF tribute bands around the world, I think this release sort of got lost amongst the rest. Bryan Josh has always had a Gilmour sound to him.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 09:04
Hi,

Ides of March - Eleanor Rigby
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 09:10
Originally posted by SonomaComa1999 SonomaComa1999 wrote:

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 11:58
Interesting, since without The Grateful Dead there'd be no Phish.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>