Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin Turner ex Wishbone Ash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin Turner ex Wishbone Ash
    Posted: September 18 2018 at 03:42
Martin Turner and his band are on tour in the UK at the moment. They are playing the whole of Wishbone Ash's debut album which for me is amazing because it will include a live performance of Handy. This is one of the most proggy songs they ever did and Wishbone Ash haven't played it since 1971. Really looking forward to hearing this.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 06:31
I saw them last year when they played the whole of Argus. Definitely worth seeing.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 11:37
I've seen them many times over the last decade in the North East at smaller venues and festivals. The Argus-based sets were very well received. The only time I've seen them dip with an audience when they did a two set evening in Darlington where the first half was almost completely their new material which was competent but not particularly inspiring. They regained the audience with a vintage second set though. Martin isn't quite so strong vocally these days on some tracks, but overall the band are very tight and well worth a visit. I fondly remember the High Voltage Festival set when Ted Turner joined them on the Prog Stage for some Argus tracks. It'll be nice to hear the debut album in its entirety too.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 12:53
Thanks for the update!  I don't think they are stateside much, and I've never seen them.  

I have seen Andy Powell's WA twice, and enjoyed it both times.  He has really evolved and grown as a lead vocalist, and he always has competent sidemen.  

My friend Curt took this photo back in the old days....WA was playing at a high school gymnasium in Illinois' suburbs!  

November 23, 1973 

Wheeling High School - Wheeling, IL 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 06:25
I’d love to hear Handy too, best piece they’ve ever done, on the best album they’ve ever done (for my taste). Would love to see Marty and Co. pull this off these days.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 12:58
Coming to little old Darlington next Friday and looking forward to seeing the debut album played in full as well as the usual Argus classics. Go for it Martin!
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 14:03
I saw them at Sutton In Ashfield two weeks ago. Handy was as expected the highlight for me. The bass solos sounded just like they did on the album and Tim Brown has added his own drum solo. I thought Martin struggled vocally a bit on Lady Whiskey however.

There were only two Argus songs in the setlist which was unusual.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 16:34
Thanks for the post, AlanB. Two from Argus is lower than normal, but it'll be nice to see a wider range of repertoire, I suppose. I do worry about Martin's vocals on some tracks these days - but hopefully the original spirit will be in there somewhere (I'll let my memory of the originals fill in the gaps in my head!)
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2018 at 01:44
The original spirit is definitely there. And the clever use of vocal harmonies helps get over any vocal deficiencies. As Martin has said, he wrote and recorded those first album songs before his testicles had fully descended :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply