Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clannad vs Fairport Convention Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clannad vs Fairport Convention Prog Folk
    Posted: September 26 2018 at 04:01
Just putting this out there and I am sure they'll be individuals who don't agree with me and others that do...
but why should Clannad be designated "Prog Folk" and Fairport Convention be relegated to "Prog-related".

On the biography of Clannad on PA includes this:
"Clannad belongs on progarchives for their influence on numerous prog acts and their appeal to many prog fans...."

Surely Fairport influenced more prog acts than Clannad ever did? No? To me there are many prog elements throughout their entire catalogue and especially in the first decade but even in their later stuff as well.
Dare I say, Fairport influenced Clannad! No?

I am sure this was debated in the past but I feel that Fairport deserve and little bit more recognition than just being Prog-related on PA.

Discuss.

Edited by BarryGlibb - September 26 2018 at 04:02
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 04:07
I don't have a clue except that Clannad seems to be more proggy! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 05:47
I completely agree. Most of Clannad is more new-ageish. Fairport is true folk with many progressive fluourishes. Saw them in Cleveland some years ago and violinist Ric Sanders turned many of their tunes into progressive masterpieces.
PROGMATIC
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 07:44
Both prog folk for me. And I have almost everything by both bands.

You could add Capercaillie to the list as well as they are similar in style.

Edited by Hercules - September 27 2018 at 15:35
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 08:55
Fairport Convention has more progressive tendencies than most people recognize, you just have to listen very attentively and you'll enjoy a wealth of rythms, melodies, orchestration and arrangements than will delight your ears. Certainly they deserve better and more recognition.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 09:18
Fairport in prog related pre-dates my involvement with that team, whereas I was involved in bringing Clannad into prog folk.  It took a while for me to propose Clannad because I wasn't sure myself.  They showed an adventurousness even in their most traditional albums from the early to mid 1970s that set them apart from the average Celtic folk group.  But it's the 1980s that makes them a prog folk group IMO.  At a time when prog was verboten, they shook off the cobwebs and did something really different.  The albums Fuaim, Magical Ring and Macalla are all fully prog folk, with plenty of echoes to their tradition but also incorporating a variety of prog, jazz, and classical influences.  

With Fairport, they were proggy in much the same way as most bands were proggy during their 1968-1972 period.  I wouldn't oppose them in prog folk but say it has more to do with them being there at the time.  And yes they were a big influence on Clannad, but not as big as Pentangle was by a long shot.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 09:33
I completely agree.  
Clannad never seemed like something I would call prog.  Fairport Convention more prggish to me than Clannad.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 09:34
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Fairport Convention has more progressive tendencies than most people recognize, you just have to listen very attentively and you'll enjoy a wealth of rythms, melodies, orchestration and arrangements than will delight your ears. Certainly they deserve better and more recognition.
I love Fairport Manuel and have written about 10 reviews of later (1980's to 1990's) albums for PA. So, They are prog enough for me. Except when they break into slip jigs and reels. Not too proggy but I still dig it.

Edited by SteveG - September 26 2018 at 09:38
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 10:01
No complaints here about either band being listed on the site. I have seen Fairport numerous times, mostly opening for Jethro Tull, and they can hold their own against any other band. On the U.S. west coast, I have heard more of a Fairport influence than Clannad.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 10:19
Prog-folk, related or not prog at all...doesn't matter to me.

They're both excellent and worth investigating for any music lover.

You can start with Clannad 2 and Leige and Lief.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 10:55
^ Clap
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 10:57
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

et oui Martin, bien expresse

but I would start with "Dulaman" from Clannad.  Absolutely brilliant from start to finish
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 12:05
I don't much care much if they are in Prog Related or Prog Folk -- I think that Prog Related has so much great music in it. For me it's an exciting category in PA, and so much music not in PA that I love I consider to be Prog Related. That said, having Fairport Convention in Prog Folk could render the music more easily discoverable for people who are searching the site for types of folk music.

A little problem that I have with Prog Related is that it's such a mish-mash of "related" music which makes it harder to discover music within the category. I've rather wanted Prog Related be broken down into subcategories before, such as Prog Folk Related, but that presents problems (I'd rather have album tagging anyway), and of course Prog Related and Proto-Prog are excluded from the Progressive Rock Top Albums lists, so researching albums at PA does become a little harder. If you know that Fairport Convention is in PA or you are specifically looking for it, then it's easy to find, but if you're wanting to do more general research using our site, then having it in PR can make it become more obscure (especially if you're specifically looking for bands and albums in PA of a Folk music variety -- one would search Prog Folk. So while I think that Prog Related is not a "lesser" category, even if it is less Prog on the whole (but that's not's a bad thing to me), it very liekly would get less recognition, especially at a Prog site, becuase it's not on one of the Prog categories and it's not lumped together in a vaetgory that has alot of similar sounding music.

I am a folk music fan and wouldn't wish to limit myself to Prog Folk, although I do tend to favour Psychedelic Folk (and chamber folk) which may or may not have a rock element and may or may not be termed progressive. I have so wished that I could easily search for lists of psychedelic + folk albums in the PA album archives.

That ramble aside, and onto more rambling, I like Fairport Convention and Clannad, but I do only have a few albums by each. I have a thing for "What We Did on Our Holidays by Fairport (love "Fotheringjay" especially) even it's not one of the more progressive albums. Liege and Liefe and Unhalfbricking are very good, but those are the only three that I have. With Clannad, the first album I heard was Legend (back in the 80s), and it still has a special place in my heart. I'm not ashamed to say that I still get a kick out of "Robin (The Hooded Man)". That said, Dúlamán probably is my favourite Clannad album.

Back in the late 80s and early 90s, I think Clannad mostly appealed to me because I was very into so-called "New Age" music and I searched for music that was categorised that way at the record store and at the libraries (I guess Kitaro set me on that path -- then Enya etc., Clannad has a strong Enya connection for those that don't know).

I do rather feel that Fairport Convention is a good fit for Prog Related, based on the albums I know, and would have thought the same of Clannad, but I don't mind either way.   If the Prog Folk team requested a move for Fairport Convention from Prog Related to Prog Folk, I would have no problem in supporting them (that's their prerogative).

Side-note (aka more rambling): I'm not saying that it is the case here, and each case should be evaluated on its merits even if precedent is important, but one does find some inconsistency with additions over the years. The early days of PA worked differently than when we had genre teams, and team members have changed over the years and there have been different expectations and parameters. Many bands started off in one category, got moved to another, and they can be moved again if the interest in doing so is sufficient and the arguments are sound.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 12:28
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

et oui Martin, bien expresse

but I would start with "Dulaman" from Clannad.  Absolutely brilliant from start to finish

I agree that Dulaman is one of their strongest, the charming simplicity of Clannad 2 gets me every time and makes it also a top 5. Crann Ull is my favorite lately (peaceful beauty) with the live 'Christ Church Cathedral', essential Clannad and their best live recording imo.

I must re-visit Fairport, been far too long since the last listen.

Edited by Barbu - September 26 2018 at 12:33
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 15:00
I have to agree that they both should belong under Prog Folk, but then I would also add "Fleet Foxes" and "Grizzly Bear" as being there also, or maybe at least under psychedelic or something.  Their music is just too inventive with so many layers that I don't understand how they can't be included on the site. But that's just me. 
I usually don't like to complain about who is here and who isn't, I just know what I like.  And I usually find some aspect of every band listed on this site as having some degree of progressiveness at some time in their career.  If anything, I seem to find a lot of bands that I would think should be on the site, but it's not for me to say in the end, I'm just happy this site exists.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 16:56
I would consider the act of electrifying British Folk and then influencing other prog bands, not the least being Jethro Tull, would make Fairport Prog-folk. Listen to Liege & Lief, and tell me that what they do to centuries-old Childs, border and Roud ballads is not progressive (in fact, the amazing thing about the album is that you really can't tell the difference between an original Fairport song and one written 200 years ago). Their first really progressive song appeared on the 1969 album Halfbricking. It really bares no resemblance to previous British folk:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 23:47
Two bands I've seen live on many occasions over the years and enjoyed - whilst never following them as a true devotee. I think both could be referred to as prog-folk. If anything, Clannad had more of a New Age/Ambient feel at times, making them more prog-related on occasions. I probably peaked with Fairport in the late 70s/early 80s, when I drifted into attending folk clubs as a way to see live music locally, and attending a few Cropedy Festivals too (with a supply of Wadworth's 6X close by). I liked the Harry's Game/Robin/Lore era of Clannad best and the Past Present compilation was regularly played. Nice seeing them in their reunion tour a few years ago when they came to the Sage in Gateshead.

In hindsight I really should explore their catalogues more regularly, but with so much great new prog out there, there never seems to be enough time.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 00:31
Not listened much Clannad, but what I ve heard, Fairport is greater!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 05:20
I've listened to Clannad this morning and to the first solo of Maire Brennan yesterday. Calling it prog may seem hazardous, but I don't think that having them on PA is a scandal, and listening to Maire, I'd suggest her for inclusion, too. Not Enya, sorry. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 05:33
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Not Enya, sorry. 
Absolutely, just say no to Enya! Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>