Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aphrodite's Child - 666 Remaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshingsafely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aphrodite's Child - 666 Remaster
    Posted: October 12 2018 at 13:12
For my blog, I'm writing an in-depth analysis of "666", the masterpiece by Aphrodite's Child. If you haven't heard it yet you really ought to, but that's not my point :)

What's the best way to hear the record today? I downloaded the "remastered" version from archive.org, and while it's a fan effort it purports to be the definitive release. I've also listened to it on YouTube, and the stream I'm using is (I think) the official CD release. Trouble is, I've listened to both of them so much that I'm not really sure which one is better any more!

If there are any fans of "666" please chime in. I know of a few places on the fan remaster where extended bits from a mono LP release are spliced in and the difference in quality is notable. I'm cool with it though because those extended bits are pretty cool additions. More contentiously, the fan remaster claims to have "fixed" the low end, and while I think they sound different, I'm not sure if it's an improvement. Any thoughts?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 03:02
I am a fan of this album. One of the great prog masterpieces and so ridiculously underappreciated it almost makes me angry. Pink Floyd and Genesis to name just 2 were well aware of this release. For those that don't know , it was recorded in 1971 but didn't get released until a year later when the band had already split and Vangelis was beginning to make a name for himself. The record company were nervous initially but as prog rock was gathering significant steam at the time decided to 'cash in'. Sadly the band were no longer around to promote it so it never became the greatest prog release that it should have been. Instead other bands stole the limelight with quite bland (by comparison) releases. Yes it is really is a mighty effort. History lesson over I would say if you get the vinyl that is the best way. I had in on that format a long time ago and it was great to listen to. The official CD is just okay but it was be nice if was given a proper deluxe treatment. Waiting in anticipation. I'm not aware of the online version so I may well check that out thanks.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 00:31
Great album indeed. I was surprised to find it available at the store I visit usually early this year, and I really liked it. Something that shouldn't be missed by prog fans.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 09:19
Hi,

One of the great rock albums of all time ... but getting a top ten listener to sit through this whole thing, is sort of like trying to pull teeth on an elephant ... a rock one, too!

I was into this band, in the late 60's and had been into them since their hit "It's 5 o'clock" which was played a lot in Europe, but ignored in America. I had no issues with the their other albums and followed the musicians after the band broke up and they went in different directions. The one that probably worked the hardest to get not very far, though, was always Demis Roussos, whose voice and style of singing was not appreciated by rock fans, because it did not sound like Mick or Ian or Peter!

An outstanding album, that was in the massive list of things that were played many times in Space Pirate Radio, and its music was never tired, or forgotten. To this day, I remember every bit of that album, even if I do not ever hear it again.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 10:31
You might have to chat up a music forum like the Steve Hoffman Music Forum and pick the brains of the gazillion audiophiles and vinyl addicts that reside there in order to get an answer to your inquiry.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 15:20
I have an original vinyl and the One Way CD that was released back in the day....the vinyl is somewhat collectable these days so I don't bother to bring it out but I haven't played the cd in ages either...never was all that impressed with it.....one or two interesting songs but mostly an attempt at being psych pop/rock experimental but not that good in the end. It surprises me that some have rated this as high as 4 and 5 stars.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 14:17
Hi,

I also think that the album shows something that we do not discuss a whole lot ... check out the producer ... he IS ... Mr. Progressive Music!

I get the feeling that too many people can not "get" this album, and figure it out, since there are no inane and silly lyrics as in most rock songs.

A wonderful listen ... totally with it, and far out!

Edited by moshkito - November 08 2018 at 07:24
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply