Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Led Zeppelin vs Deep Purple

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these songs do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [36.36%]
21 [63.64%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Led Zeppelin vs Deep Purple
    Posted: November 02 2018 at 16:41
Which of these songs do you prefer: Led Zeppelin's No Quarter or Deep Purple's Child In Time?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 17:08
No Quarter, especially live.   As good as the version on TSRtS is, it evolved and got even better for the next tour in '75 with them expanding it to about 40 minutes and Jones with a great extended grand piano break.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Cylli Kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 17:20
^ Have to agree with the Star Trek time machine, Allan Holdsworth inspired album titled guy on this one. Wink

Love Purple, Love Zep, but on this one I think No Quarter comes out on top.

[Insert Clever Phrase Here]
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 17:51
That's a great choice for a duel..... hmmm. Child in Time (studio, but especially on Made in Japan) is rather special, but I think I have to go for Zep's No Quarter because it is so layered, atmospheric and shows them at their most proggy, thanks to JPJ's keyboards. Only the dodgy haircut on The Song Remains the Same film gives me doubts, but not enough! 😂
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 19:48
Dig both bands but Child in Time is an easy choice for me. Crankin' guitar and supreme vocals on that number.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 20:46
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

That's a great choice for a duel..... hmmm. Child in Time (studio, but especially on Made in Japan) is rather special, but I think I have to go for Zep's No Quarter because it is so layered, atmospheric and shows them at their most proggy, thanks to JPJ's keyboards. Only the dodgy haircut on The Song Remains the Same film gives me doubts, but not enough! 😂

Yeah the pageboy was not great.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 08:56
Oooooo ooooooo ooooooo

Child In Time, of course
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 09:12
zero contest....   in between perhaps the most impressive prog vocal chops ever recorded and one of the greatest rock guitar solos EVER!!!!! 

Child in Time by lightyears man.....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 09:25
Not an easy decision here. In terms of studio version, "Child in Time" is better. However, as Squonk19 already pointed out, the live version of "No Quarter" is phenomenal - John Paul Jones' finest hour. And, as cheesy as it may sound, I love the sequence that accompanies the song in the Song Remains the Same movie.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 09:30
cheesy?   pfff...   try watching it darlin' while sucking on a splif and stoned out of one's gourd......  the cheese is removed and the brilliance revealed...

still though...   this isn't a what is better while stoned poll..  Child in Time smokes No Quarter in any and all measures yes sir...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 12:09
You tell me how many bands covered respectively No Quarter and the other song as well - there you have the answer, kiddo !

(Now, truly, I'm always partial to ol' Zep - it's even irrational)
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 12:47
Child in Time for me.  I know it's heresy to say but No Quarter has always bored me to tears...especially the version I endured at LZ's last US concert 7/24/77 Wink
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 14:58
Both amazing but No Quarter is a huge favorite.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2018 at 17:28
Prefer Zep over DP most of the time. Here's no exception. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2018 at 00:07
Child in Time 
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 11:33
Child In Time easily. 
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 11:39
no Quarter
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 11:42
A real toughie; for me it's very close... 

but CiT is my fave Purple track, so... 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 12:22
DP...no contest !
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2022 at 12:24
Jon Lord's finest moment!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>