Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which Albums by Rush are real Prog Rock? And Why?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Albums by Rush are real Prog Rock? And Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ProcolWho? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProcolWho? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Albums by Rush are real Prog Rock? And Why?
    Posted: March 01 2024 at 20:35
There is no RUSH song that does not offend my ear.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 23:58
^ Interesting, persoanlly I found them 'cold' and 'unemotional' when I first heard All The Worlds A Stage in 1977/78. I'm actually also not a great fan of Hemispheres, for my taste it's far too 'metal' although La Villa Strangiato could be one of the best prog instrumentals of all time. Quite remarkable track and the main thing that saves the album for me. I'm a Rush fan nowadays and that is very much for all their music including the 90's and 00's hard rock style albums which I enjoy a lot.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 13:49
IMO Rush was never this sorta "angular" "geeky prog" kinda band like ELP, mid 70's Zappa or I dunno, Balletto di Bronzo or something. They had a much more melodic vibe.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 12:54
What is "real prog"? (insert facepalm emoji/emoticon/meme)

TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 12:50
Originally posted by Dapper~Blueberries Dapper~Blueberries wrote:

Also replying a bit to TexasKing, I am sorry but Closer To The Heart is a prog song. You cannot just add so many riffs, jams, and solos into a 2 minute song and not call it at least prog related.

I think CTTH is proggy but not real prog. It's too short, a sing-along song, it's a radio hit-type song and I don't find it an authentic Rush song (some other rock bands from the 70's could come up with a song like that). 

Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 11:18
Rush's greatest run was from 2112 through Moving Pictures. All those albums are firmly in the Progressive Rock camp. It is with those run of albums that went either Platinum or Multi-platinum in the case of 2112 and Moving Pictures that Rush is listed as a Prog Rock band and why the went into the ROHF as a Prog band.

Also, Caress of Steel, Signals and Grace Under Pressure fall more into the Prog Rock camp than not. That's 8 albums that are Prog Rock albums. The other albums by Rush can be debated whether they are Prog or in some cases, such as their debut album are definitely not.
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 10:14
I am of a firm believer that all Rush album are prog rock to some extent, but some are certainly less prog than other. Their 80s records are a good showcase of this. Aside from Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures, their 80s output certainly more prog in the sense the group is trying new things by utilizing synths and more introspective outputs, which I do not quite think is a bad thing they did. They obviously weren't going pop in the 80s, though certainly a lot more accessible than they ever were. The only really non-prog album Rush has made I think is Hold Your Fire, but that record still has some nice moments of progressive ideas.

Also replying a bit to TexasKing, I am sorry but Closer To The Heart is a prog song. You cannot just add so many riffs, jams, and solos into a 2 minute song and not call it at least prog related.

Edited by Dapper~Blueberries - February 01 2024 at 11:01
D~B
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 21:13
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Rush is much less PROG than Yes, Genesis and King Crimson but much more prog than Pink Floyd. 

My observation on the progness of Rush output:

Fly by Night - not a prog album, only By-Tor is prog
Caress of Steel - half prog (two epics are prog)
2112 - half prog (a side two is not prog but standard rock)
A Farewell to Kings - mostly prog (Closer to the heart and Madrigal are not prog songs)
Hemispheres - pure prog 
Permanent Waves - partially prog (Jacob's ladder and Natural science are prog)
Moving Pictures - mostly AOR, two prog songs (The Camera Eye and YYZ)

Synth-era albums have some proggy moments but they are not really prog. 
Snakes & arrows and Clockwork angels have some proggy songs, but they're not real prog. 
None of their albums inbetween are prog or even proggy. 

I know I shouldn't but I'm bored..

So Trees is prog but Closer To The Heart isn't? No comment on the 3 minute Circumstances then?
A Passage To Bangkok and Tears are 'standard rock', seriously?!
Moving Pictures is 'mostly AOR' is a crazy statement

In general Rush's best albums are 2112 to Moving Pictures but neither Signals and Grace Under Pressure have any weak moments. I believe the sheer amount of constant touring and recording plus the tragedies that occured in Peart's life eventually slowed them down. But then by that time they had nothing left to prove and equally nothing to apologise for. Even though they more or less stopped doing anything prog after about Presto (aside from Clockwork Angels) they have a legacy that compares favourably with all the legendary prog bands.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 14:14
^Or...
We are the priests
Of the temple of real Prog
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 13:42
We are merely Rusheologians, performers and portrayers!
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 12:58
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Rush's progginess or lack of.... has there been any other subject that has been discussed as much on this site over the past 20 years? I'm sure it would make an excellent doctoral thesis..

Take your time over it now, you don't want it to be rushed!
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 12:35
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

A Study of RUSHology. LOL

which reminds me, I must blow the dust off my copy of Volume 1 and inspect it for termite damage.. LOL
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 12:31
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Nitpicking like this, I can list songs that are not prog from all the prog-greats. LOL

Rush's progginess or lack of.... has there been any other subject that has been discussed as much on this site over the past 20 years? I'm sure it would make an excellent doctoral thesis.. Geek

A Study of RUSHology. LOL
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 11:37

Nitpicking like this, I can list songs that are not prog from all the prog-greats. LOL

Rush's progginess or lack of.... has there been any other subject that has been discussed as much on this site over the past 20 years? I'm sure it would make an excellent doctoral thesis.. Geek
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 11:20
Sometimes the cows don't come home. Sometimes they go over to the neighbors because they have pizza.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 11:09
^Maybe "more fool me" isn't a prog song but imo "I know what I like" qualifies. I stand by what I said. I remember asking a guy at a prog festival if he thought "wonderous stories" and IKWIL are prog and he said they were. I suppose we can all argue until the cows come home as to whether they or other songs are prog. I guess it ultimately it depends on our own interpretation and opinion on what makes something prog.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 09:39
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Rush is much less PROG than Yes, Genesis and King Crimson but much more prog than Pink Floyd. 

A Farewell to Kings - mostly prog (Closer to the heart and Madrigal are not prog songs)
Hemispheres - pure prog 

Snakes & arrows and Clockwork angels have some proggy songs, but they're not real prog. 

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 09:26
^Come on. Madrigal is more of a prog song than Cinderella Man. Tongue It seems that maybe you have fallen into the trap that many people have which is thinking that a song has to be complex to be prog.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 31 2024 at 09:30
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 09:20

Hemispheres - pure prog 

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 00:34

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

You can’t even agree on the definition of “prog”, which makes it difficult to answer the question. Music is not black and white where every single album can be deemed either prog or not. It’s all a mix of inspirations and talent.

I’m also amused at the topic title, asking for “real prog”. Certainly prog police work.

exactly 5.75% of the music on this site is real prog rock. After that you have the fake prog represented by 80's King Crimson and Peter Gabriel entire solo career plus the AOR crap that no one cares about and the weird stuff that strange human like persons think is important.

<runs and hides>

who said that AOR is real prog? Confused

what's a "strange human like person"? Confused

Now now children remember one man’s prog isn’t necessarily another man’s prog?
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>