Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which Albums by Rush are real Prog Rock? And Why?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Albums by Rush are real Prog Rock? And Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 15:04
You can’t even agree on the definition of “prog”, which makes it difficult to answer the question. Music is not black and white where every single album can be deemed either prog or not. It’s all a mix of inspirations and talent.

I’m also amused at the topic title, asking for “real prog”. Certainly prog police work.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 15:10
"What is Prog?"
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 15:24
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

You can’t even agree on the definition of “prog”, which makes it difficult to answer the question. Music is not black and white where every single album can be deemed either prog or not. It’s all a mix of inspirations and talent.

I’m also amused at the topic title, asking for “real prog”. Certainly prog police work.

It's like we're back in 2008 PA again LOL
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 15:25
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

"What is Prog?"

LOL
is prog what? Big smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2022 at 16:55
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Rush and Fly by Night aren't prog, not in the slightest. But they don't have to be.

By-Tor and the Snow Dog isn't prog?

I miss Queen ByTor and SnowDog....... Cry
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 00:41
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

<font size="3" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">"What is Prog?"

LOL
is prog what? Big smile

Either way it’s?
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 12:58

I second everything you wrote.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 13:06

Silly me, I've just noticed the "real prog rock" in the title. As opposed to  false or fake prog rock everywhere, right? 
TBH I dislike it (to put tit gently) when anyone puts words like "real" or 'true" in front of genres, i.e. "true metal" and 'true prog" and so on. Maybe I'm not getting something here... oh well... LOL

Edited by Cristi - January 31 2024 at 09:22
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 13:09

TBH I dislike it (to put tit gently) when anyone puts words like "real" or 'true" in front of genres, i.e. "true metal" and 'true prog" and so on. Maybe I'm not getting something here... oh well... LOL

Death to False Prog!!  Evil Smile

All Men Play On 9/8   LOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 13:23
I actually don't disagree with the 2112 to MP opinion (although is side two of 2112 really prog?) but my personal (subjective) defintion of prog stretches a bit beyond MP.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2022 at 13:26
Originally posted by progROCKS123 progROCKS123 wrote:

even in the 1980s rush was still a prog band Smile

I agree but maybe not Presto. Anything in the 80s before it though. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 00:27

exactly 5.75% of the music on this site is real prog rock. After that you have the fake prog represented by 80's King Crimson and Peter Gabriel entire solo career plus the AOR crap that no one cares about and the weird stuff that strange human like persons think is important.

<runs and hides>
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 00:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

exactly 5.75% of the music on this site is real prog rock. After that you have the fake prog represented by 80's King Crimson and Peter Gabriel entire solo career plus the AOR crap that no one cares about and the weird stuff that strange human like persons think is important.

<runs and hides>

who said that AOR is real prog? Confused

what's a "strange human like person"? Confused
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 00:34

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

<runs and hides>

who said that AOR is real prog? Confused

what's a "strange human like person"? Confused

Now now children remember one man’s prog isn’t necessarily another man’s prog?
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 09:20
Rush is much less PROG than Yes, Genesis and King Crimson but much more prog than Pink Floyd. 

My observation on the progness of Rush output:

Fly by Night - not a prog album, only By-Tor is prog
Caress of Steel - half prog (two epics are prog)
2112 - half prog (a side two is not prog but standard rock)
A Farewell to Kings - mostly prog (Closer to the heart and Madrigal are not prog songs)
Hemispheres - pure prog 
Permanent Waves - partially prog (Jacob's ladder and Natural science are prog)
Moving Pictures - mostly AOR, two prog songs (The Camera Eye and YYZ)

Synth-era albums have some proggy moments but they are not really prog. 
Snakes & arrows and Clockwork angels have some proggy songs, but they're not real prog. 
None of their albums inbetween are prog or even proggy. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 09:26
^Come on. Madrigal is more of a prog song than Cinderella Man. Tongue It seems that maybe you have fallen into the trap that many people have which is thinking that a song has to be complex to be prog.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 31 2024 at 09:30
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 09:39
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Rush is much less PROG than Yes, Genesis and King Crimson but much more prog than Pink Floyd. 

My observation on the progness of Rush output:

Fly by Night - not a prog album, only By-Tor is prog
Caress of Steel - half prog (two epics are prog)
2112 - half prog (a side two is not prog but standard rock)
A Farewell to Kings - mostly prog (Closer to the heart and Madrigal are not prog songs)
Hemispheres - pure prog 
Permanent Waves - partially prog (Jacob's ladder and Natural science are prog)
Moving Pictures - mostly AOR, two prog songs (The Camera Eye and YYZ)

Synth-era albums have some proggy moments but they are not really prog. 
Snakes & arrows and Clockwork angels have some proggy songs, but they're not real prog. 
None of their albums inbetween are prog or even proggy. 

Nitpicking like this, I can list songs that are not prog from all the prog-greats. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 11:09
^Maybe "more fool me" isn't a prog song but imo "I know what I like" qualifies. I stand by what I said. I remember asking a guy at a prog festival if he thought "wonderous stories" and IKWIL are prog and he said they were. I suppose we can all argue until the cows come home as to whether they or other songs are prog. I guess it ultimately it depends on our own interpretation and opinion on what makes something prog.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 11:20
Sometimes the cows don't come home. Sometimes they go over to the neighbors because they have pizza.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2024 at 11:37

Nitpicking like this, I can list songs that are not prog from all the prog-greats. LOL

Rush's progginess or lack of.... has there been any other subject that has been discussed as much on this site over the past 20 years? I'm sure it would make an excellent doctoral thesis.. Geek
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>