Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lizard (king crimson)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lizard (king crimson)
    Posted: November 29 2018 at 16:46
I am reaching out to kc fans rather than me review ,i had lizard on cassette tape many moons ago never got into it except for happy families i know there is new remasters of lizard and tempted to go back and purchase a copy ,if there is new of cleaned up in the way sound or production ,sorry i also enjoyed jon andersons vocals on one of the tracks, but then again i always enjoyed jons vocals thanks for any feedback
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 03:13
I only have an early 2000's CD release. Never had a problem with the production. It's a bit of an odd album, that seems to divide opinion, bt I've always liked it. I prefer it to Starless & Bible Black, and some of the post Red albums. Cirkus is a fantastic song, and a god live number. The Lizard suite is also great. It's definitelt worth another few spins if you've not heard it in years. Give it a chance. It can be a slow grower.

The singer Gordon Haskel thought it was awful, apparently.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 03:19
Gotta say I thought the Lizard reamaster was well worth it. I always loved the album though, but listening to the title track in particular felt like a whole new listening experience. I hear so much going on there now that I really never noticed before - or perhaps it wasn't there. I guess Happy Family was always  my least favorite part though while Circus was instant love and probably my favorite song  there for a short while in my late teens. 
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 03:39
Like Blacksword I only have it on an old CD and not a new remastered version.

I regard it as a "need to own" album for KC fans, but not one of their four masterpieces (Red / Larks / ITCOTKC / Discipline)

It was great hearing them perform an extended medley from Lizard on the recent tour and reminded me how good parts of this album are.

I would definitely get yourself a new remastered version.
Songs cast a light on you
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 03:57
Any of the "Anniversary" reissues sound great! A great album by the way! Eclectic, weird and jazzy at times. I love it! Smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 05:31
Can't comment on the remaster, but I can say that I got into Lizard quite late; I started being interested in KC as a teenager but at the time I only gave it a superficial spin and couldn't appreciate it, same with Islands, and still not in my twenties. Now I think it is very inventive and colourful and there's lots to discover on it. I think I found it too soft when I was younger (and maybe I didn't give it enough attention), the melodies somehow passed me by and I didn't like Haskell's voice, but now I think that it all works well if I listen to it on its own terms. I was delighted to hear Circus and parts of the Lizard suite on their recent tour.

I'm very curious how it was perceived when it came out. Does anybody know something about that? Would it be just one more album lost in a sea of interesting progressive stuff that came out at the time or was it already then celebrated for its subtle beauty and playfulness?

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 06:19
^ Well... it definitely didn't go over well with many prog heads at time of it's release. And that includes many who loved In The Court of The Crimson King! Personally, I didn't even own a copy of the album until late in the 80s! Someone gave it to me. But like most prog from that era, it grew on me. Same with Islands.

Edited by SteveG - November 30 2018 at 07:54
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 08:14
That is why I say it doesn't hurt to revisit something that you didn't find to your liking at one time.  Tastes can change with time, if you have open ears, anyway.  Or not, sometimes.  And that's OK too.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 08:54
It's my favourite KC album, I agree with many faults that some point out but they only make the album more emotionally appealing to me.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 13:55
Great album......not sure where it fits into my KC lineup....but still it's a winner.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 14:02
I never had the vinyl or early CD, only the remaster, so that is my only ongoing experience with it.  I am more than satisfied with that.  
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 14:21
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

It's my favourite KC album, I agree with many faults that some point out but they only make the album more emotionally appealing to me.

my fave as well (though it was hardly immediate), though not perfect

weaker points: Dancing Waters and Big Top
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 18:09
2nd Crimson album I ever bought back when I was 17.  Loved Cirkus straight away, the rest was this odd mix of stuff I didn't know what in the world to make of.  Took years to really appreciate...nowadays I'd say it's my 2nd most listened to Crimson album Wink
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 21:28
For me, this album is all about the "Prince Ruppert Awakes / Bolero" combo.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 23:22
highs and lows for me.  Highest - Cirkus (one of the best KC songs ever), Prince Rupert Awakes, Bolero.  Lows - the godawful Happy Family.  Indoor Games and Lady of the Dancing Water are both pretty good.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 11:03
A station of the Cross!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 11:24
I do like large sections of the album and it has grown on me more over the years, but it does trail somewhat behind others in the King Crimson canon. Still worthy of revisiting from time to time, though.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 12:37
Love, love, love Lizard.
First 'owned' it on cassette, taped off my brother's original LP.
Bought it again on the first CD release.

I would certainly recommend the 2009 remaster, or, if you are willing to shell out the dollars or pounds, you can get it on Blu-Ray on the Sailor's Tales box set with many, many extra little features.
It sounds glorious on remastered CD, 5.1 DVD and Blu-Ray. 
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
 Post Reply Post Reply