Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cult of Luna (Somwhere along...)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgBlob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cult of Luna (Somwhere along...)
    Posted: December 18 2018 at 12:37
So ive recently become addicted to Somewhere Along the Highway by CoL. Ive owned it for about a year but only now has it really hit me. All i really want right now is an album similar to this, but not any old Post Metal album really does the job, as im not even a huge fan of the genre. Its something about the slow-burning song structures which begin to feel like theyre riding some sort of sonic wave, like theyre on another level. But its also their robotic style, repetitive downstrokes and drums, and the delicious sound effects that compliment the intensity. Though musically different, their atmosphere and vibe really reminds me of Tool, for example, the band that led me to enjoying this album. 
For anyone who hasnt heard this (which it seems not many on this website haveConfused) I highly recommend it. Even if you cant get into it upon first listen, such as I, it takes a while to let the emotive power hit you. 
Sidenote: does anyone know where their bandname came from? He simply dismisses the question during interviews saying "Its the name of the cult and its irrelevant." Sorry but what cult? Exactly? Haha

This is the only album i feel like listening to right now, so some variety would be very helpful, any recommendations are really appreciated, cheers. 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 17:45
Never heard it, but I'll try to check it out.
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 16:38
Excellent album you've stumbled upon!

More experienced post-rock/metal members will be able to guide you better than I can. Though, if you haven't already heard "Terria" by Devin Townsend, you should give it a try. "S.U.S.A.R." by Indukti, "The Fire in our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw" by Pelican, and "Reflections of a Floating World" by Elder are also excellent!

Edited by Tasartir - December 19 2018 at 16:44
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 20:21
If you like Cult of luna check these bands:

The Ocean
Callisto
Pelican
Neurosis
Isis
*Shels
Red Sparowes
Mouth Of The Architect

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 23:18
If These Trees Could Talk 
nazario View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nazario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 09:27
Amazing collection you've unearthed! 
Progressively experienced post-shake/metal individuals will have the capacity to direct you superior to anything I can. However, in the event that you haven't effectively heard "Terria" by Devin Townsend, you should try it out. "S.U.S.A.R." by Indukti, "The Fire in our Throats Will Allure the Defrost" by Pelican, and "Impressions of a Skimming World" by Senior are additionally incredible!

https://appsync.biz/dafont/

Edited by nazario - December 22 2018 at 12:20
ProgBlob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgBlob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 10:11
Thanks for the reply but why is your comment literally a mirror of Tasartirs comment? Youre confusin me LOL
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2018 at 19:52
Very strange. Is it a bot? Did it translate it into another language and then back to English?
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2018 at 06:45
Well, it's fascinating that you mention That specific album. I also have a special place for it in my collection, it's really one of a kind, perhaps more inspiring than anything from great Neurosis. There I said it!

I asked THE VERY SAME QUESTION couple of years ago on metal oriented forum. I advise you to check it out for further recommendations:

https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=116483

There is a bunch of bands you could try, but I don't guarantee anything will come close to Somewhere Along the Highway experience. I think Omega Massif's "Karpatia" was shooting for the same effect. The other band worth trying is Fog in the Shell. And then we have more obvious ones, like Isis, Rosetta, Callisto or Subrosa (more stoner/doom but heavy and suffocating).

But yes, check out the thread for more obscure ones.
nazario View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nazario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2018 at 09:59
Stunning gathering you've uncovered! 

Logically experienced post-shake/metal people will have the ability to guide you better than anything I can. Be that as it may, https://appsync.biz/dafont/ 
if you haven't viably heard "Terria" by Devin Townsend, you should give it a shot. "S.U.S.A.R." by Indukti, https://downloader.vip/mapquest/
 "The Fire in our Throats Will Allure the Defrost" by Pelican, and "Impressions of a Skimming World" by Senior are moreover staggering! https://appsync.biz/filehippo/

ProgBlob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgBlob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2019 at 13:36
I finally return with my 3 big successful albums, though they are not too similar to CoL they accomplish many of the same things heard in Highway. 
Choirs of the Eye by Kayo Dot: Takes you from ethereal, emotional, immersive atmospheric rock to pummelling experimental black metal. This album is much more diverse but rides that wave Cult of Luna taps into. 
Noir by Callisto: Much closer to CoL in style but much more on the post-rock side of things. This album matches the aesthetic and is very consistent throughout, though it doesnt quite reach the heights of Highway.
Mare by Mare: a single EP released by Canadian trio Mare. This album will take you by surprise with how gruellingly heavy it gets, while still making time for experimental time signatures and beatiful choir/chant sections along with jazzy interplay. 

I am quite satisfied with my finds because I know nothing is quite like Somewhere Along the Highway.
 Post Reply Post Reply