Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reaction Videos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 11:28
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ Yea I watched this one the other day, not surprised as all the other copy cat reactors have done this song. DT people reached out to the Vegas duo they said. They are not fans of DT, first song they did was Metropolis pt1 which original reaction was not good. 
This new song is more prog-metal vs Metropolis, the Vegas guys like metal, which is why they really liked As I Am.
They did Symphony X~Wicked, and I was not expecting a good reaction...it was not. Songs like that are wayy too prog/weird/wonky/boring for non prog people.

But still they are very good at having an open mind and giving honest feelings. I'm not a Patreon member but if you join you get access to their Yes~Roundabout reaction....

Well, good to know they did a Yes reaction.

Bad that Metropolis1 was the first thing these guys reviewed by DT. They are great reviewers, but they are basically rhythm/transition appreciators more than anything.  I don't think they quite understand epic/symphonic composition, and even if they did, still might not like it much. 

And it ain't just George and Ryan; I've seen a few comments on Youtube confidently asking for the reviews of very complex or epic pieces, some of them with comments like ..."it'll blow you away". Or if its a comment on a video for a simpler/more straightforward song for a certain band encouraging the review of a more complex one by the same band, they'll say something like "OK, now I think you're ready for... [whatever epic by same band], as if they just know (whatever millenial/hip-hop reviewer) is gonna love it on first listen. More often than not, the resulting review is lackluster, insincere, or just negative.

Perhaps a good example is the big request for George and Ryan to review 2112 after very positively reviewing YYZ (in my original post at the beginning) and Working Man (they also did Spirit of Radio, but I'm not sure if it was before or after 2112).  At first they didn't want to do it, saying it was just too long, but finally decided to (I think under pressure from Rush fans).  It wasn't a negative review, but you could tell they didn't like it near as much as YYZ or Working Man, and maybe it was a lot for them to absorb--I don't think they've done any more album sides/epics since.

Edited by zwordser - January 28 2019 at 11:29
Z
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 01:41
^ Well what you describe is why prog has been in downside for so long, nobody cares for side long songs. With the advent of digital/CD and the ability to skip on demand, has helped this part of prog struggle. 
Most (non-proggers) look at 10+ minutes songs as a waste of time and boring. There is some truth here, if not done well for the whole time a 20min song can be boring at times.

Nobody is ready to hear 2112 in today's world. Can you imagine what their (or anyone else) would react to Thick As A Brick?? That would be brutal.......Especially that they are more into hard rock/metal than folk/symphonic prog.

If they don't like it then they tell it like they hear it, which I am perfectly fine with. I don't expect them to love let alone like prog.
What I appreciate is they recognize the LZ~When The Levee Breaks as being a blues based song and loving the harmonica.....They get it.   
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 14:35
^ By and large true that most do not care about side-long pieces, but there are exceptions: positive reviews, including some with depth of analysis, including this one.  Now, I should say, these "Enoma" folks reacted very positively to 2112 (moreso than George and Ryan), but their reaction to the Fountain of Lamneth, I thought, was more sincere and insightful--so that's what I've posted here.

It was actually nice for me to see/hear this, after not listening to FoL for such a long time., and good to see a little love for it, as I don't think there are many (or any?) others reacting to it.

Edited by zwordser - February 03 2019 at 14:37
Z
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2019 at 12:24
With the overwhelming number of reactions to more popular bands, like Rush, Pink Floyd, and Queen that are out there, its nice to finally see some (relatively few) reactions to less-known bands, like this one to Camel.

This guy is always brief, and to me seems honest in his reactions (and he reacts to A LOT of music). In all the reactions I've seen of his, I haven't seen him get so excited over Camel--especially his reaction to Nimrodel...

It's amusing to see him use words like "Filthy", "disgusting", and "heavy callisthetics"  (which means he really likes it).

Z
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2019 at 14:36
^ you can tell that he feels the groove, which is a reason why I love "Nimorodel/ The Procession/ The White Rider".

Here is his reaction to Henry Cow's Amygdala:

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2019 at 15:16
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

Originally posted by Jackal3000 Jackal3000 wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'd like to see a Puritans React to Comus or Kids React to Shub-Niggurath.

LOL!! I've enjoyed some Reaction videos as well - it would be very funny to be able to request specific pairings.

Amish people react to "Welcome to the Machine"

The most refined aficionados of opera react to Ayreon's "The Theory of Everything"

Etc....

Well, there are reactions by Opera singers to various performances--such as this video, reacting to one of Freddie Mercury's concert performances.

And speaking of F. Mercury, there are a ridiculously large number of videos reacting to Bohemian Rhapsody.

I missed your response before.

Having opera singers react to Queen with Freddie Mercury doesn't surprise me.   I have heard various operatic singers singing Queen songs, Mercury has strong vocals, and Queen can be very operatic (think Bohemian Rhapsody) and theatrical. Freddie Mercury recorded an album called Barcelona with an opera soprano called Montserrat Caballé.

Having opera singers react to Crunk, or virtuoso musicians reacting to The Shaggs might present some amusement due to the contrast.

When looking up Reaction videos I did notice many Queen ones.

Edited by Logan - February 13 2019 at 15:18
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2019 at 18:26
Meh. I know why these vids are so popular with people, but I can just never watch more than 2-3 mins of one. Neat but not really for me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Oganesson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oganesson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2019 at 22:21
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Meh. I know why these vids are so popular with people, but I can just never watch more than 2-3 mins of one. Neat but not really for me.

Agreed. I usually avoid these ones anyway.

Though I do appreciate how the trend of reaction videos is evolving from reacting to YouTube videos (which I find really unnecessary) to reacting to albums and critiques of master artists, similar to full-fledged professional reviews.
"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future." - Dan Quayle

Reach out as forward tastes begin to enter you...
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2019 at 06:10
It's just the latest waste of server disk space, on a par with "unboxing videos". 

"I can't think of anything to do, so...... hey, everyone, look at me !!! " 

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2019 at 06:18
Well, you guys can go poo-poo them all you want, I actually find them refreshing; seeing somebody listen to a classic the first time and seeing it "click" in their eyes and facial expressions. Or seeing the confused look on their faces for a song that I also thought was confusing the first time. It is about sharing the music we love, is it not?
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2019 at 09:50
I have watched many of them, but I only appreciate the Lost in Vegas boys. They just come across as more genuine and honest and also they review a broad array of music. I could give a horses rear about country, but find it entertaining when I watch them review country.

I watch them when I am bored, not because they are posting something or I have to see what they are doing. Like anything else it's entertainment and yea it's another spin on music we love.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2019 at 11:59
I had watched various Kids React and the like videos (due to one of my children) before this topic (the comments can be funny), but hadn't watched these kinds of Reaction videos before. It's not really for me either, but it was rather interesting to experience and fun to comment on in this discussion. I'm game to check out new-to-me things, and I do like to at least read people's early reactions to new-to-them things be it positive or negative, though I certainly do prefer positive feedback on the whole (that's part of the appeal of internet forums to me).

When it comes to youtube vids, such a discovery as the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared series thanks to my kid is more my thing.

Edited by Logan - February 14 2019 at 12:15
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 16:19
Reaction vids get old for me when I watch too many, but it takes quite a few before I need a break.  I agree that they can be "refreshing" in a way.  Its easy to see why many people like them by looking at the comments of those viewing/liking-- things like  "...Ahh, to listen to [whatever band] for the first time again!". So it seems to be a way to vicariously re-live discovering certain bands/songs.

Its also just nice to see people who don't normally listen to prog discover it, and better to react positively to it.
Z
Polo's Lair View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo's Lair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 15:47
Smile Love These guys, especially their Proggy reviews... even Led Zeppelin etc. They quite often seemed surprised in how good it is....fantastic
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 19:29
Originally posted by Polo's Lair Polo's Lair wrote:

Smile Love These guys, especially their Proggy reviews... even Led Zeppelin etc. They quite often seemed surprised in how good it is....fantastic

Who you talking about?  George and Ryan?
Z
Polo's Lair View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo's Lair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 13:23
Sorry, connected the reply to Lost in Vegas post.....still trying to work out how the posts work
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 15:54
Vin and Sori's reaction videos are pretty comfy to listen to, although in most cases they're not so much reaction as lyrical analysis and off at tangents.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 11:26
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Vin and Sori's reaction videos are pretty comfy to listen to, although in most cases they're not so much reaction as lyrical analysis and off at tangents.

I've only seen 3-4 vids by Vin and Sori, but their reaction to Freewill was, well, amusing or horrible, depending on how you look at it.  I didn't like it, but calling a Freewill "childish" (if I remember correctly) was rather laughable to me.

So here's one that was pretty cool:  Again, I don't care for a lot Weaboo's vids, but this one for Hemispheres left him SPEECHLESS, then he apologizes for being asleep on Rush, and that he's awake now!!...

Z
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2019 at 02:18
Lost in Vegas has upped their game, now in podcast mode of broadcasting. Studio mics and better sound as evidenced by the Opeth reaction in their Prog Metal tournament......Everyone else are followers.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2019 at 05:45
^Well I'm still entertained - but I've only watched a couple of Lost in Vegas and the one with that unsympathetic dork who hated In the Court.. in total. With the latter guy I can agree with Davesax1965 while Ryan and George I find entertaining in their open minded appreciation of music outside their comfort zone. It may be a waste of time but I've wasted plenty of time on more pointless things than this. Besides they certainly made me reappreciate Opeth with this vid. I haven't thought about them in years. It'll be interesting if their next Opeth-tune features their signature mix of growls/clean-singing. Those beautiful vocal harmonies certainly took me by surprise 2/3ds out in the first I song ever heard by them (Master's Apprentices).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>