Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Head VS Mystery Tour VS 200 Motels

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which Multiple Do You Think Best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.00%]
2 [8.00%]
2 [8.00%]
2 [8.00%]
14 [56.00%]
4 [16.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head VS Mystery Tour VS 200 Motels
    Posted: January 10 2019 at 05:15
The thread about the 200 Motels Box got me thinking...

I prefer the soundtracks more but I love Head the more Film and the rest for the accompanying soundtrack.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 08:13
Hi,

Of all these, the only one that is "valuable" is 200 MOTELS.

MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR was not great, and in fact it is an overindulgent film, probably making fun of a lot of the things around the Beatles in those days, and to make sure that they told the fans that they could do anything they wanted. Compare this to "Yellow Submarine" and you know what I am saying. MMT is just a nice piece of fluff ... and it wasn't even released regularly in America for some time. I never saw it in Madison, and did not even get to see this until 1972 or 1973 in Santa Barbara, California.

HEAD could have been interesting and probably have a greater appreciation, if it were not for the fact that THE MONKEES were trying to break out of their straight laced cartoon characters on the TV show, so they could do a bit more, including possibly touring and actually playing their instruments, which, apparently at the time, only 2 of them could do so with reasonable ability. HEAD was, a Frank Zappa idea, apparently, and it was what led to 200 MOTELS and its development.

Of these, 200 Motels is the more important, as a creative endeavor, since it was not exactly one of the "I don't give a poop" kind of things that the Beatles put together for fun, whereas 200 MOTELS was a much more serious endeavor which only suffered because the critical folks around film don't like new innovative folks, and the rock audiences wanted their hits by that time ... which hurt the film.

To give you an idea how valuable as a composed piece of music 200 MOTELS was, compared to the other two, just stop, and listen, and then think about it ... the live 200 MOTELS - the Suites, is astounding and one of the most incredible things, and one that you can see a choir actually enjoying themselves and putting together a miraculous performance on CD ... possibly the very last thing that Gayle was able to accomplish ... as part of the family's long fight to gain control of 200 MOTELS, which they still do not have.

Btw, ALL YOU NEED IS CASH is much better than MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR and you have a few more laughs in it. But you don't get to see the Bonzo Dog Band perform in silence ... such a bummer! Embarrassed
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 08:51
MMT's Soundtrack gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 11:04
Voted MMT film.  Would have voted the MMT soundtrack, but the film got my vote specifically for the I Am The Walrus footage...the greatest rock video of all time Wink
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 11:58
200 Motels is the only serious and innovative piece here.  I was torn between film (which I love) and soundtrack (which I love).  In the end, I went with soundtrack, but that may be because for years the movie was not available commercially on home video while the soundtrack was on LP and then CD, so I'm more familiar with the soundtrack running order.  But it's really close.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 15:50
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

MMT's Soundtrack gets the nod.
Agreed.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 15:50
200 motels, soundtrack 

Edited by Man With Hat - January 10 2019 at 15:50
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 06:20
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

200 motels, soundtrack 

Now go listen to THE SUITES recording of that live concert.

It makes the whole thing sound even better and stronger.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 10:18
I prefer Mystery Tour album however I would choose 200 Motels movie over Mystery movie.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 23:52
MMT
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply