Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan Parsons Project vs Steely Dan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [39.02%]
46 [56.10%]
2 [2.44%]
2 [2.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alan Parsons Project vs Steely Dan
    Posted: January 17 2019 at 19:55
I was thinking about this earlier today because both bands had two constant members and a rotating cast of session musicians filling out the rest. Which do you prefer? 
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 20:41
I've had close connections to both in a way, with being from Ambrosia's home town and working out of The Village Recorder (where Steely Dan spent a LOT of time), I have to say that Steely Dan wins it for me.  Additionally, I had the pleasure of seeing them live in 1973 at the Hollywood Palladium with Focus and Black Oak Arkansas (!).  Just consummate musicians.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 20:59
Well, this should be very interesting. :)

Steely Dan kind of imploded it seems around 1980 and not reuniting for many years. APP seemed to have just gone downhill after Eye in the Sky and finally imploded themselves but eventually reforming in a different way but without calling themselves APP. I like both  but am not familiar with the entire output of both bands so I think I will sit this one out and watch from the sidelines. ;)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 17 2019 at 20:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 21:17
It's an intriguing query...and a sort of anaphylaxis on both of their parts, perhaps.  It will be fun to see what others think, as you say.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 21:22
Anaphylaxis? Did you steal my medical dictionary? :D

I looked up that word but it doesn't make sense to me in the context of your sentence. Could you please either explain that better or use a different word? :P 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 21:36
I was thinking that anaphylaxis is kind of an implosion...Or, at least anaphylactic shock is more interior than exterior.

Edited by Snicolette - January 17 2019 at 21:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 22:24
Please only vote if you are very familiar with both bands and not  just a few albums or songs from each.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 23:04
APP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 23:32
Uhhh . . . Steely Dan.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 23:40
Steely Dan, of course.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 00:48
Well, my fave album between these bands is Tales of EAP, by a fair margin, and I'd say that I Robot and Pyramid are within the top 5, but overall, Steely Dan's discography is much better on average, since every 70's album of theirs (except Gaucho, for which I care not) fill the next 6 spots, with Royal Scam and Ecstasy inside the top 5 (did I make sense??) WackoTongueSmile

Friendly card woud grab last spot in that combined top 10, so that SD 6 - APP 4
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 01:43
Alan Parsons Project.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 02:49
Strange, SD and I just don’t click. I’ve tried, and tried, but it all sounds like ‘bland city’ to me.
So, APP for sure.

Edited by Tom Ozric - January 18 2019 at 02:49
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 04:06
Steely Dan all day every day.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 04:28
APP.
Still not a fan of Don Fagen's voice.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Oganesson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oganesson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 04:43
I still can't vote yet - not enough points - but I do want to put in my two cents...

...and those two cents are on Steely Dan.

Aja is an absolute masterpiece.
"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future." - Dan Quayle

Reach out as forward tastes begin to enter you...
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 05:06
I am in a particular way fond of Donald Fagens singing voice and how he sings storyy, were he emphesizes certain phraces, were he lays irony, satire, pulp, it is sort of steam punk lyrics with beat poet sting. Like a cross between crtique on 'culture industrie' Horcheimer-Adorno esque.

Edited by Icarium - January 18 2019 at 05:13
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 05:26
Easily Steely Dan. Each of their first seven albums is pure gold...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 07:37
With all due respect to Alan Parson, Steely Dan gets my vote.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 08:27
Love both, but Steely Dan has the much better track record. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>