Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan Parsons Project vs Steely Dan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [39.02%]
46 [56.10%]
2 [2.44%]
2 [2.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 21:12
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

APP

I don't doubt SD's talent but they seemed to have the knack of arranging that made most of their songs stale before they finished playing the first time

Sorry but that doesn't really make sense. If they were good at arranging how would that make their songs stale? Confused

Anyway, for the longest time my biggest problem with Steely Dan is they seemed "stuffy" to me for lack of a better term. Kind of like to music what Woody Allen was to movies. Hey, I'm cool but you dohn't get it because you didn't go to college or read the books that intellectuals read kind of thing. In other words pretentious in their outlook and presentation if not necessarily in the final product. It always seemed like they were a rock band who wished they could play jazz and be a jazz band but wanted instead the commercial success of a  rock band and to me that seemed pretentious and off putting. It wasn't until way later when I learned to just accept them for what they are which was a band making music they wanted to which in a way was what prog was all about even though they weren't a prog band.

Funnily enough,  that reads like the typical Christgau criticism of prog rock.LOL  That said, I do agree in that I was always curious why a band that didn't seem to like rock all that much nevertheless fitted their jazz elements into a rock format.   I later learnt that while they may not have liked straight up rock much, they did like blues a lot and that's where the rock element came in. 

I also don't think going commercial is necessarily bad and it's good for commercial music when a band like Steely Dan gets involved in it.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 00:30

APP

I don't doubt SD's talent but they seemed to have the knack of arranging that made most of their songs stale before they finished playing the first time
It just goes to show how very subjective our experience of music is, as I find just the opposite - SD's chords and harmonies seem endlessly fresh to me, as enjoyable now as they were when I started listening to them over thirty years ago. And I must have listened to each of the first seven albums hundreds of times. Very very few bands have that quality for me.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 01:56
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

APP

It just goes to show how very subjective our experience of music is, as I find just the opposite - SD's chords and harmonies seem endlessly fresh to me, as enjoyable now as they were when I started listening to them over thirty years ago. And I must have listened to each of the first seven albums hundreds of times. Very very few bands have that quality for me.

Exactly.  The core of their music is so strong that I have never bothered about the slightly commercial sound.  Just the solo of Kid Charlemagne alone is worth its weight in gold.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 02:51

APP

Sorry but that doesn't really make sense. If they were good at arranging how would that make their songs stale? Confused

I totally understand where Ken is getting at

SD's tunes are extremely finely crafted (maybe too much so) that rare are the Dan tracks that feel fresh & spontaneous or even less as "immediate". Excitement is certainly not a feeling I'll feel when I listen to SD (or APP, FTM). SD thought their concept so thouroughly that any dust of improvication is automatically annihilated by their mercyless and pityless professionalism

In other words, , just like Toto (another studio-only band for the major part of their relevant discography, but SD is sooooooo much superior to them), they were just too professional.

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Exactly.  The core of their music is so strong that I have never bothered about the slightly commercial sound.  Just the solo of Kid Charlemagne alone is worth its weight in gold.

Mmmhhh!!!... SD's sonics are extremely commercial and IMHO was designed to be so from day 1... In some ways, SD and Toto were extremely cynical (make a fortune while not moving out of the studio and hit the road >> PS, I know SD did tour in their early days), but APP is not really much less so.

And yes, Charlemagne's guitar solo is the only really exciting part in their entire discography... and the reason why Royal Scam is my fave album of theirs.

=================

BTW, nowadays, I only own one album from either bands: Tales of EAP
At the height of my vinyl collection in the early, I owned  APP albums and only one SD album (TRS)

And if my taste & interest for APP has dwindled over the years, SD's has slightly grown as I "matured".

Edited by Sean Trane - January 19 2019 at 03:00
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 03:38
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

And yes, Charlemagne's guitar solo is the only really exciting part in their entire discography... and the reason why Royal Scam is my fave album of theirs.

Actually, there are many, many wonderful leads of theirs across their stellar run of albums in the 70s.  From Royal Scam itself, Everything you did has Carlton in fine form again.  The sax lead in Cave of Altamira is another.  Sax again rules the day in the underrated Doctor Wu.  Your Gold Teeth II from Katy Lied has another brilliant guitar lead.  Aja is just full of amazing guitar solos with the exception of two tracks (Black Cow and Deacon Blues).

I am also surprised you don't find much spontaneity in Countdown to Ecstasy (assuming since you didn't mention anything about it) which was with a 'real band' still and does sound like one to me, especially My Old School. I do like that album very much but I am also glad they didn't make it their essential direction for the subsequent albums because there was plenty other middle of the road rock (can't envisage Dan ever going down an out and out hard rock route) but there's only one band that made albums like Aja.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 04:40
Strange how SD is full of talented musicianship but sound very ‘ordinary’ to me. APP maybe aren’t as technically proficient though I do like their earlier albums a lot.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 07:04

APP

Anyway, for the longest time my biggest problem with Steely Dan is they seemed "stuffy" to me for lack of a better term. Kind of like to music what Woody Allen was to movies. Hey, I'm cool but you dohn't get it because you didn't go to college or read the books that intellectuals read kind of thing. In other words pretentious in their outlook and presentation if not necessarily in the final product. It always seemed like they were a rock band who wished they could play jazz and be a jazz band but wanted instead the commercial success of a  rock band and to me that seemed pretentious and off putting. It wasn't until way later when I learned to just accept them for what they are which was a band making music they wanted to which in a way was what prog was all about even though they weren't a prog band.

Funnily enough,  that reads like the typical Christgau criticism of prog rock.LOL  That said, I do agree in that I was always curious why a band that didn't seem to like rock all that much nevertheless fitted their jazz elements into a rock format.   I later learnt that while they may not have liked straight up rock much, they did like blues a lot and that's where the rock element came in. 

I also don't think going commercial is necessarily bad and it's good for commercial music when a band like Steely Dan gets involved in it.

Believe me, I was definitely not trying to sound like Robert Christgau. Jeez. Confused Anyway, I see it more of them trying to fit into pop music structure and not so much "rock" per se. I think maybe the first album is as close to regular rock as they got and it happens to be one of my favorites. Although, as I stated, I have grown to appreciate Steely Dan I do wish they had stretched out more and not stayed so close to the confines of pop music structure. I think the only exceptions were the title track to Aja and maybe some stuff from Countdown to Ecstacy. Other than that you could say they were a band who wanted to get played on the radio(and their plan worked obviously).
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 07:08

APP

What I meant was that it was their arrangements that made the songs sound stale, so their "knack" was in achieving this undesirable quality.  But in rethinking, it's also the way they construct their "melodies".
Peg is a perfect example of that.  Listen to the chorus.  There is no hook, no warmth, just "I'm so clever but in a cool unemotional way" doodling, so yes I am in agreement about the stuffiness you mentioned. 

I have similar criticisms of most of Paul Simon's solo work.  He really wasn't a great singer so he sang nonchalantly or spoke.  No emotion anywhere, as if emotion is a bad thing.  That came to a head on the abominable Graceland
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 07:15

APP

Believe me, I was definitely not trying to sound like Robert Christgau. Jeez. Confused Anyway, I see it more of them trying to fit into pop music structure and not so much "rock" per se. I think maybe the first album is as close to regular rock as they got and it happens to be one of my favorites. Although, as I stated, I have grown to appreciate Steely Dan I do wish they had stretched out more and not stayed so close to the confines of pop music structure. I think the only exceptions were the title track to Aja and maybe some stuff from Countdown to Ecstacy. Other than that you could say they were a band who wanted to get played on the radio(and their plan worked obviously).

I was referring to the part where you called them pretentious for wanting to fit jazz into a commercial format.  That is a common complaint of prog from those critics who did not like it and Christgau was one of the most vocal.  

As for more pop than rock, other than large parts of Gaucho, I don't really agree.  Most of their songs have a riff and a guitar solo.  Other than rare exceptions like Carpenters' Goodbye To Love, how many pop songs from the 70s had a guitar solo or were so guitar oriented in any other way as Dan were?  I think it's the polish rather than the structure that makes them sound not-rock.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 07:58
Steely Dan !!!
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 08:09

SD's tunes are extremely finely crafted (maybe too much so) that rare are the Dan tracks that feel fresh & spontaneous or even less as "immediate". Excitement is certainly not a feeling I'll feel when I listen to SD (or APP, FTM). SD thought their concept so thouroughly that any dust of improvication is automatically annihilated by their mercyless and pityless professionalism

Here is a bit about SD's studio crafting, I was looking up some things about their times at The Village Recorder and found this in an interview with Dick LaPalm, former manager at The Village, regarding "Aja,"  

"During the same recording session, the second engineer Lenise Bent, came into my office. She said, 'Dick, I have to talk to you.' She put her head down on the desk in her arms and said, 'Well-the, well-the, well-the.' I said, 'What are you doing?'

Lenise looked up and said, 'Dick, I have to get off the Aja session. They worked on the words ‘well the’ for six hours last night. It's on Home at Last, for the the line, Well the danger on the rocks is surely past. All they did was work those two words for just the right sound for hours. I really have to get off the session.'

"I said, 'Look Lenise, if you want off, that’s no problem. I’ll get another second. But it will be the biggest mistake you will ever make. You’re going to have a credit on Aja, and the album is going to be huge.' So she stayed, and to this day she thanks me as a running joke [laughs]."

The entire article is here: https://www.jazzwax.com/2011/07/how-steely-dan-got-wayne-shorter.html

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 08:19

I am also surprised you don't find much spontaneity in Countdown to Ecstasy (assuming since you didn't mention anything about it) which was with a 'real band' still and does sound like one to me, especially My Old School.

Actually, in my first intervention, I did mention that CTE is my second fave album (read my reviews in the DB) next to TRSWink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 08:41

I think it's the polish rather than the structure that makes them sound not-rock.

I wouldn't quite agree with that Madan.  The discussion is has taken off from a purely musical standpoint.. but ignores the 2nd half of what made S.D so special and why it does connect with many prog fans.. and was the daggar in the heart to the opposition to having them added here.

what keeps them from being considered by many to be rock.. it what I mentioned...  their songwriting writing skills. That in itself has two heads. Melody... and lyrics.  Melody is what it is... but the lyrics of S.D were most CERTAINLY not rock and roll... and were highly intellectual, thought provoking and highly topical.  None of that squeeze my lemon bullsh*t... real life stuff.. like the pervent living next door who shows dirty films to your kids when you are not around.  

the biggest problem critics always had with prog... was not the music.. it was about the overintellectualism of rock which has always had its roots in adolesence, and rebellion.. using ones fists or one's dick.. not one's brain.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 08:50
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Critical acclaim, commercial success, and the respect of musicians have nothing to do with it.

those have everything to do with it. 

case in point...  care to name the bands which you believe met those same conditions.  Whose work resonated with music critics, and was able to appeal to listeners of all stripes those actually sell boatloads of albums, yet attain of a validity born of a near universal respect of the musician world.  

the reason why it means so much.. is you might find it very hard to come up with list of any length.  Many bands, we are talking big bands, can hit a couple, very VERY few can stake claim to all 3. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 09:09
With the notable exception of Do It Again, the music of Steely Dan hasn't resonated with me. By contrast, the music of The Alan Parsons Project does resonate with me, so they easily get my vote.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 09:17
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Critical acclaim, commercial success, and the respect of musicians have nothing to do with it.

case in point...  care to name the bands which you believe met those same conditions.  Whose work resonated with music critics, and was able to appeal to listeners of all stripes those actually sell boatloads of albums, yet attain of a validity born of a near universal respect of the musician world.  

the reason why it means so much.. is you might find it very hard to come up with list of any length.  Many bands, we are talking big bands, can hit a couple, very VERY few can stake claim to all 3. 
Nope. Success is not directly correlated to skill or quality. Plus even if it were, making it the basis of appreciation as individual listeners, as you are doing here, would make it an unreliable measure anyway, and that would be a circular argument, as well.

Edited by Polymorphia - January 19 2019 at 09:18
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 09:17

I think it's the polish rather than the structure that makes them sound not-rock.

I wouldn't quite agree with that Madan.  The discussion is has taken off from a purely musical standpoint.. but ignores the 2nd half of what made S.D so special and why it does connect with many prog fans.. and was the daggar in the heart to the opposition to having them added here.

what keeps them from being considered by many to be rock.. it what I mentioned...  their songwriting writing skills. That in itself has two heads. Melody... and lyrics.  Melody is what it is... but the lyrics of S.D were most CERTAINLY not rock and roll... and were highly intellectual, thought provoking and highly topical.  None of that squeeze my lemon bullsh*t... real life stuff.. like the pervent living next door who shows dirty films to your kids when you are not around.  

the biggest problem critics always had with prog... was not the music.. it was about the overintellectualism of rock which has always had its roots in adolesence, and rebellion.. using ones fists or one's dick.. not one's brain.

Ah, but you are going in a different direction there because their lyrics then are even further removed from pop than rock.  At least rock had Dylan.  I just don't hear pop structure in Dan, unless by that is meant verse-chorus-bridge-chorus which is essentially, uh, rock too, with the only difference that the bridge often becomes a guitar solo (again often the case with Dan).
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 09:44

Nope. Success is not directly correlated to skill or quality. Plus even if it were, making it the basis of appreciation as individual listeners, as you are doing here, would make it an unreliable measure anyway, and that would be a circular argument, as well.

I understand Micky's point and it is that it takes a LOT for a band or artist to meet all those three conditions. Singer songwriters attain it more easily - Dylan of course and also Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin among others. Among bands, I can readily think of Beatles and not a lot of others. I don't think he is saying a band must have all three to be regarded great but those who have it are special, they kind of attain the golden middle. My absolute favourite composer of all - even after all the wonderful rock/prog etc I have been exposed to - Ilayaraja also ticked all three boxes. That said, I would not put SD in the same bracket as him or the Beatles. The truth is they were still toiling for that elusive hit when they set out to record Aja. And then, Peg became a hit and the single FM too. So it was a late surge rather than a long streak of bill board smashing stuff that also won the approval of critics AND had fellow musicians intrigued. That category is so rare the folks who fit into it pretty much popularised a new way of looking at popular music. A paradigm shift, in other words.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 10:02
What it takes a lot of is luck and knowledge of the music biz and the sensibilities of various groups of people, and more things which are independent of the things that should inform one's appreciation of an artist. In other words, their success makes them special as far as models of how to navigate the music industry, but it doesn't make them special as artists, which is what I assumed we were trying to evaluate here.

Edited by Polymorphia - January 19 2019 at 10:07
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 11:03
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Here is a bit about SD's studio crafting, I was looking up some things about their times at The Village Recorder and found this in an interview with Dick LaPalm, former manager at The Village, regarding "Aja,"  
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">"During the same recording session, the second engineer Lenise
Bent, came into my office. She said, 'Dick, I have to talk to you.' She put her
head down on the desk in her arms and said, 'Well-the, well-the, well-the.' I
said, 'What are you doing?'</span>

<p style="margin: 7.5pt 0in 18.75pt; -: initial; -: initial; -size: initial; -repeat: initial; -attachment: initial; -origin: initial; -clip: initial;"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif; color:#333333">Lenise looked up and said, 'Dick, I have to get off the Aja session. They
worked on the words ‘well the’ for six hours last night. It's on Home at Last, for the the
line, Well the danger on
the rocks is surely past.
 All they did was work those two
words for just the right sound for hours. I really have to get off the
session.'</span>

<p style="margin: 7.5pt 0in 18.75pt; -: initial; -: initial; -size: initial; -repeat: initial; -attachment: initial; -origin: initial; -clip: initial;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">"I
said, 'Look Lenise, if you want off, that’s no problem. I’ll get another
second. But it will be the biggest mistake you will ever make. You’re going to
have a credit on </span><em style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">Aja,<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;"> and
the album is going to be huge.' So she stayed, and to this day she thanks me as
a running joke [</span><em style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">laughs<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">]."</span>

<p style="margin: 7.5pt 0in 18.75pt; -: initial; -: initial; -size: initial; -repeat: initial; -attachment: initial; -origin: initial; -clip: initial;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">The entire article is here: </span>[COLOR=#333333" face="Arial, sans-serif]<span style="font-size: 13.3333px;]https://www.jazzwax.com/2011/07/how-steely-dan-got-wayne-shorter.html</span>[/COLOR]

<p style="margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 25px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Geneva, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: medium; padding-left: 30px;">

There's actually a whole book about the making of Aja, and if you like the band and the album as much as I do it makes for fascinating reading. Their obsessive tendencies really got free reign on that one, but I think the results speak for themselves
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>