Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jon Anderson of YES new TV Interview

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relayerofdelirium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jon Anderson of YES new TV Interview
    Posted: January 19 2019 at 11:50
Jon talks about mixing new album with Sean McKee and teaching a class on surround sound mixing at a college and creating virtual reality:

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 19:23
Very interesting. Thank you for posting this.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 01:55
I was very influenced by the cannabis leaf when I watched this first last night...

...it's still awesome. Jon usually is, lol. Thanks for sharing, OP!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 08:53
Nice, but kind of weird that they're going for a 5.1 surround mix when ambisonics seems to be making a comeback.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 16:41
Ambisonics has been trying to make a comeback since the 70's LOL.......There are too many negative variables that kept Ambisonics from doing anything, they still exist. Maybe for movie soundtracks for big theaters it works, but not for a traditional home audio setup.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 06:57
It works for headphones, and theoretically for any speaker setup since it preserves the full 360° audio. Seems a lot less limited to me than a format essentially tied to a specific amount of speakers at specific locations. Plus you no longer need any special hardware to decode it like you did in the 70s.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 06:42
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

but not for a traditional home audio setup.

And I wonder if that is the real issue, though, and it is much more evident today when folks are listening to their smartphone or mp3 player and the quality of those pieces of music is very low, which kinda makes this exercise a bit weird ... probably nice as an educational experience, but useful? Reminds me so much of my days at UCSB ... the same kind of talk by professors to make you think you are doing something great, and in the end, when the piece of paper comes ... you get a job washing dishes, or waiting on tables!

Who's gonna use it and pay for it? 3 out of 4 bands will not even see the board they showed in that video for mixing things ... and you're expecting folks to come up with this? Heck, it still can not duplicate the old "quadraphonic" experience that PF used to have, or even the GD.

I kinda think, honestly, that Jon is getting to the age, and point, that he does not really have it anymore, and sometimes, anything, is better than nothing ... but there probably are a lot of kids out there, that deserve a chance and will not get it because of this.

Just a feeling, not a knock on Jon at all.

Edited by moshkito - January 23 2019 at 06:44
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
relayerofdelirium View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relayerofdelirium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 12:11
Actually, while maybe not for stereophiles, but 5.1 surround sound is very common in home theater setups. Most receivers sold in the last 15 years have at least 5.1 capability, if not 7.1. Economy models with receiver and 5 discreet speakers (front, center, left, surround left, surround right) and a subwoofer can be had for a few hundred dollars. To say it can not duplicate a quad experience is inaccurate, as modern formats exceed the ability of quad. Yes has released many 5.1 surround remasters, along with the ubiquitous Dark Side of the Moon on SACD, and recently an incredible surround rendering of Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland. The latter is nothing short of amazing considering it wasn't intended for this format. The fact that Anderson and McKee say their music and mix was thought out to be in surround from the beginning makes me excited to hear what could be a stunning presentation of new music. I'm guessing they wouldn't sell themselves short, and will also have a stereo mix for those with traditional stereo setups at home, or listening to phone MP3s or streaming.
Polo's Lair View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo's Lair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2019 at 00:59
Thanks for thisTongue
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2019 at 02:27
For some reason, I’m not on the ‘same page’ as Anderson is these days. I used to look up to him, now I couldn’t care less what he has to say. Soz.
 Post Reply Post Reply