Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camel vs Eloy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which band do you like more?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
44 [61.97%]
16 [22.54%]
8 [11.27%]
3 [4.23%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camel vs Eloy
    Posted: January 20 2019 at 18:05
I could say "prefer" but "like more" is pretty much the same thing. My last one for a while(possibly). 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 18:28
Eloy. I own nearly all their albums (I need 2-3) and enjoy them significantly more. 

I do like Camel a lot, but I stick with Rain Dances, Breathless, Nude, Stationary Traveller, and Rajaz
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 18:52
I like the 1st 4 Eloy albums, but it seemed like they were bouncing around trying to find an identity, where I consider Camel's debut through Moonmadness all fully formed essential listening Wink
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 19:34
Camel just. They’re a top 5 band for me and Eloy maybe top 10
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 20:29
like both equally, 2 of my fave bands.  I'm more likely to listen to Eloy these days, but can't vote against Camel
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 22:48
camel
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 23:35
tough choice so both LOL
you made it easy with the "both" option
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 02:29
Camel.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 03:19
Camel.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 04:21
Both equally
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 06:43
could go with either depending on mood

voted Eloy since they were getting crushed
Prog On!
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 06:58
Originally posted by digdug digdug wrote:

could go with either depending on mood

voted Eloy since they were getting crushed

Same. Between Camel and Eloy, both of whom have a very special place in my heart as I discovered them in high school way back in the early '70s, the group I love the most is the one I happen to be listening to at the moment.
It's the same way with my top 3 albums of all-time. I probably have a couple hundred "top 3" albums, just depends what's playing and my mood. Realistically, how do you judge what's "better" with such divergent styles of music? How can I compare Jade Warrior with Black Sabbath, Renaissance with Return to Forever, Fairport Convention to Anekdoten, or Porcupine Tree to Jethro Tull? Or Camel to Eloy? (Other than to say they all are freaking great.)
If I could only take 10 albums to an island, I'd never get to the island because I'd never be able to whittle it down.
PROGMATIC
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 07:47
For very personal reasons, Camel gets my vote. Eloy is a fantastic band though, and is really among my favorites, but Camel's music gets me to the core.

Edited by Manuel - January 21 2019 at 07:47
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 08:20
Camel, by a mile.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 08:21
I might have enjoyed Eloy it it wasn't for the heavily accented (not normally an issue for me), nasal vocals. They ruin everything potentially good. All 1970's Camel is lovely though.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 08:37
Eloy. I'm struggling to say why. I enjoy Prog that's guitar centered, not that Camel doesn't have a lot of very fine guitar in it too. Eloy has a little more crunch, I guess. Right now I feel like I should go re listen to Camel, but I feel more like listening to Eloy.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 09:13
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Eloy. I'm struggling to say why. I enjoy Prog that's guitar centered, not that Camel doesn't have a lot of very fine guitar in it too. Eloy has a little more crunch, I guess. Right now I feel like I should go re listen to Camel, but I feel more like listening to Eloy.

Have you heard "mirage" by Camel? Probably their heaviest album. 
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 10:16
I have to say both equally because when it comes to Camel I don't listen to anything else at all other than Mirage, Moonmadness and The Snow Goose.  
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 10:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Have you heard "mirage" by Camel? Probably their heaviest album. 

No probably about it, it is their "heaviest", not that it is heavy in the true sense of the word when compared say to Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath or Scorpions.  Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 10:20
Heavy isn't a word I associate with Camel. Not their shtick.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>