Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your favorite Peter Hammill album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Lots of Peter Hammill solo albums. Which rocks your world the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [3.85%]
3 [11.54%]
13 [50.00%]
4 [15.38%]
1 [3.85%]
1 [3.85%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's your favorite Peter Hammill album?
    Posted: April 16 2019 at 07:02
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage

wow
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 14:29
Originally posted by HAL 9000 HAL 9000 wrote:

And my secret highlight is "Sitting Targets" -  a perfectly balanced album which entails both sides of Peter Hammill's qualities.
I like Sitting Targets. The track Stranger Still speaks to me personally.
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
HAL 9000 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAL 9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 06:54
Peter Hammill is one of my favourite solo artists besides Peter Gabriel.

It's a hard choice between "The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage" and "In Camera".

"In Camera" contains pure darkness, especially the last 2 tracks have a long lasting effect on my mood. It wins slightly over "The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage" because of its consistency which has been disturbed by the too folky track "Rubicon".

In the phase of the late 70's, I appreciate The Future Now which is the considerably more experimental and daring effort than "pH7" which suffers from a more acoustic and conventional approach in terms of songwriting.

And my secret highlight is "Sitting Targets" -  a perfectly balanced album which entails both sides of Peter Hammill's qualities.

Edited by HAL 9000 - February 03 2019 at 07:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 11:17
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

But, of the albums that I have, my favourite is pH7 

I also like the cover of that album:

It is what I imagine the security at Porton Down to be like. Nuke

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 05:47
Oh sh*t, I’m spinning Hammill / K Group Live - The Margin.
OUT- f**kING - STANDING stuff after all these years...... A stranger, a worldly man........
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imperial Zeppelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 10:36
Will go with the majority on this one, Silent Corner it is.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 10:00
Nadir, Baby!!!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 10:58
Many favorites but...Roaring Forties.

No...Everyone You Hold it is.
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 06:22
Always had a soft spot for 'Enter K'  (Side one, anyway)
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 05:53
1. Silent Corner - It might have been my favorite VdGG-album as well... followed by:
2. Over
2. In Camera
4. The Future Now
4. A Black Box

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 05:37
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Patience!(Furthermore Sitting Targets over all those listed.)

Nice! You are a diehard fan indeed :)

Not so sure... there is a fair quantity of Hammill's albums that I don't like much, and I don't know every single one.
I think the thing is that in his solo work I appreciate his idiosyncratic songwriting combined with arty intelligent but accessible music rather than him serving the prog and VdGG crowd, as he had done better in earlier days. I like most of his 70s output, but with Patience in particular and a number of other later recordings he took a turn to more personal and direct music that I can appreciate (although I also find some of his more song oriented albums too one-dimensional music-wise, and I also know that the turn actually started already in the 70s, but it seemed more tentative before Patience; surely none of those gets close to Patience's rate of  almost 100% of songs that I really love).

Edited by Lewian - January 27 2019 at 05:43
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 15:32
Chameleon, coz I’m such a miserable b*****d
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 11:25
Really tough choice between Silent Corner & In Camera.  In Camera has the brilliant Gog Magog, but Silent Corner opens with my favorites Modern and closes with A Louse so gets my vote.  Also almost voted for the 1990 'Room Temperature Live' since I saw the tour at San Francisco's club Slims and it's such an amazing live album, but I'm always a bigger fan of studio than live albums.  Still, anyone who hasn't heard Room Temperature Live owes it to themselves to hear the live versions of many songs from those great 70's albums Thumbs Up
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 08:38
I voted for The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage, but I like many of his albums very much (and many more I have never heard).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 03:28
Chameleon.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 03:03
The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 00:02

In contrast to Van der Graaf Generator, which define me on this forum (my username, avatar, and signature are all connected to VdGG), I do not consider myself a "fan" of Peter Hammill's solo work, and have comparatively few of his solo albums. Most of the Peter Hammill solo albums I have are from the late '70s - early '80s period, which is when I got those albums. I do like that Peter Hammill's solo music is distinct from the music of VdGG (even if other band members contributed). However, I also consider Peter Hammill's solo work to be somewhat uneven in appeal. But, of the albums that I have, my favourite is pH7, which was the first Peter Hammill solo album I got.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 21:53
In Camera 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 19:00
^ another true fan! And you're both in Italy! He really did strike an Italian chord, huh? 

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll get to all of them eventually. 

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 18:50
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Yes, The Silent Corner And The Empty Stage wins for me! 

Second is a tie between In Camera and Over. I can't decide.

While i love ever VdGG album i've not  yet listened to most of the albums of Hammill after the 80s and there are many. If anyone can recommend some particularly good ones, i'd love to check them out!

In my opinion (and watching my photo you can see who I am Big smile ) And Close As This (1986) is very good. But there are only vocals and keyboards. Very good even Out of Water (1990) with Stuart Gordon on violin, David Jackson on sax. Then Fireships (1992) is quite good. Roaring Forties is maybe the more progressive (1994).

After that, since Clutch (2002) Hammill came back inspired and he has largely done good records, particularly Singularity (2007) and Consequences (2012).

"Happiness is real only when shared"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>