Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mike Oldfield - celticy/new agey albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Your favourite celticy/new agey album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [15.15%]
11 [33.33%]
8 [24.24%]
2 [6.06%]
3 [9.09%]
1 [3.03%]
1 [3.03%]
2 [6.06%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mike Oldfield - celticy/new agey albums
    Posted: January 27 2019 at 12:48
Simply, which is your favourite from among my favourites of his more folky, celticy, acoustic, new agey albums. 
I'm not a fan of his poppy,funky,rocky,world music albums.  With the exception of Crises and Discovery which I like a lot.

I'm sorry to admit that I was never a huge fan of *THE* album either. And haven't listened to it in over 20 years. Has he finally stopped making versions and follow ups of it yet? Smile 

Voyager has been my favourite for many years. 

Edited by LAM-SGC - January 27 2019 at 13:33
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 13:04
Like most of them, but can't vote against Incantations. It is "his Topographic Oceans."

Hergest Ridge second.
Ommadawn is awesome. 

I think "The" album kinda sucks too. It's funny how some legacy artists' most revered albums are not even close to their finest hour. 

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 13:26
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Like most of them, but can't vote against Incantations. It is "his Topographic Oceans."

Hergest Ridge second.
Ommadawn is awesome. 

I think "The" album kinda sucks too. It's funny how some legacy artists' most revered albums are not even close to their finest hour. 

Yea, Incantations is bloody brilliant as well.  True what you say about the big artists, I was never a fan of Sgt Pepper's, I always far preferred Revolver, Rubber Soul and Abbey Road.      

Edited by LAM-SGC - January 27 2019 at 13:27
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 13:44
I love both Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn.  Gotta say I love the Hergest Ridge cover.  But, I prefer Ommadawn and also love "On Horseback," for a children's song.  We sing it to this day when it snows, which isn't often here.  I think "The" album just reached huge amounts of people, was used in that enormously popular film and certainly was unusual in it's time.  Also got Virgin off the ground.  Pun intended.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 13:55
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Also got Virgin off the ground.  Pun intended.

Oh yes, I lived round the corner from the first Virgin Records shop on Notting Hill Gate when it opened and when the album came out. I also remember kids at secondary school talking about it all the time.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 14:27
Nice memory
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 14:50
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Nice memory

Yea, I lived in Notting Hill from 1963 until 1996 when I moved to Sweden. 
CristauxFeur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CristauxFeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 15:09
I don't know him very well but my favorites are Tubular Bells and Five Miles Out, so i'll give the others a listen
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 15:10
Tough one. Between Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn, I guess I'll vote for the former, since it has no votes at this time. It was actually the first album of Mike's I heard, before TB.
BurizuTheFox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurizuTheFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 15:59
For me, Ommadawn and Incantations. I loved that albums too much, 4 years ago. Mike Oldfield was my introduction to prog.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 16:11
Of these I voted the superb QE2, but I'm not sure how you missed one of his most overtly Celtic albums, "Five Miles Out", which might be his best.  "The" album was truly groundbreaking but suffers a bit from some overly long or even unnecessary parts that are a bit too novelty oriented.  To me, :Voyager" and "Songs of Distant Earth" are low points, as they aren't really distinguishable from dozens of new agey Celtic albums on offer at that time.  In fact some artists were doing this much better
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 16:28
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Of these I voted the superb QE2, but I'm not sure how you missed one of his most overtly Celtic albums, "Five Miles Out", which might be his best.

I didn't miss it out, it wasn't included because it isn't one of my favourites, in fact I think it is a bloody terrible album full of funky pop songs and world rhythms. Also, by celticy I don't mean bagpipes. I don't think it is celtic in sound at all and definitely doens't have a new age vibe. 

Edited by LAM-SGC - January 27 2019 at 16:29
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 16:31
"The" album is awesome (I'm reminded of a pitchfork comment on Nirvana's Nevermind: "Anyone who hates this record today is just trying to be cool, and needs to be trying harder." Tongue ) and I'm grateful it's not included because it makes it easier for me to vote for Ommadawn.  
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 16:33
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

""Anyone who hates this record today is just trying to be cool, and needs to be trying harder." Tongue )   

But, that is the kind of platitude (by whoever originally said it)  that doesn't encourage and totally stifles further discussion.  
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 20:09
Kind of diggin' Songs of Distant Earth right now . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 20:46
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Kind of diggin' Songs of Distant Earth right now . . .

It's a beautiful relaxing piece of music. I need to hear that again.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 21:07
I love Oldfield's music, (except for Voyager, which I found rather uninspired, and Music from the Spheres, which I haven't heard yet), but in the end, it has to be Ommadawn.

Edited by Dellinger - January 28 2019 at 14:38
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 21:20
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Of these I voted the superb QE2, but I'm not sure how you missed one of his most overtly Celtic albums, "Five Miles Out", which might be his best.

I didn't miss it out, it wasn't included because it isn't one of my favourites, in fact I think it is a bloody terrible album full of funky pop songs and world rhythms. Also, by celticy I don't mean bagpipes. I don't think it is celtic in sound at all and definitely doens't have a new age vibe. 

um...yes, I agree it's not new agey at all
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 23:19
Incantations over Ommadawn 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 03:04
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Incantations over Ommadawn 

This. Ommadawn part 1 may be the best thing Mike ever did, but part 2 (before the Horse Song) is cringeworthy. My overall favourite is *THE* album, but I don't give a sh*t for any of its remake versions.

Edited by someone_else - January 28 2019 at 03:06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>