Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top ten Jazz Rock Fusion Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 10:04
1. In A Silent Way by Miles Davis
2. Satana III by Satana
3. Bundles by Soft Machine (I know it's a Canterbury Scene but it is also usually classified as fusion too)
4. Crossings by Herbie Hancock
5. A Tribute to Jack Johnson by Miles Davis
6. No Mystery by Return To Forever
7. Chicago At Carnegie Hall by Chicago
8. Apocalypse by Mahavishnu Orchestra
9. Katy Lied by Steely Dan
10. Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock

Wanna get more into jazz this year ngl.

Edited by Dapper~Blueberries - February 01 2024 at 11:15
D~B
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2024 at 10:28
1) Mahavisnu Orchestra: Inner Mounting Flame
2) Return to Forever: Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy
3) Jeff Beck: There & Back
4) Jean Luc Ponty: Cosmic Messenger
5) Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays: As Falls Wichita So Falls Wichita Falls
6) Miles Davis: A Tribute to Jack Johnson
7) Bruford: One of a Kind
8) Dixie Dregs: What If
9) Billy Cobham: Spectrum
10) Al Dimeola: Elegant Gypsy

Note: Chicago II, Steely Dan Aja and Santana Abraxas fall more on the Rock side of the equation than jazz so that is why they were not listed although, I think very highly of those albums.

Also, I just picked one album per artist. Had I not, there would have been a few more Mahavisnu Orchestra and Jeff Beck albums on this list.

I would have picked The Aristocrats first album, but they are listed as Heavy Prog on PA. Not sure I necessarily agree with that classification.

Edited by Big Sky - February 01 2024 at 10:48
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 09:32
(List erased due to original thread being replaced or merged with bumped five-year-old thread)

Edited by Moyan - March 01 2024 at 18:07
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 10:12
I would like to add the eponymous album by Mantra from Spain, an exciting blend of jazzrock/fusion and the distinctive Rock Andaluz. Never released recordings are put on CD in 2012 by Arabian Rock 2012 (Música Inédita Rock Andaluz Collection - see Prog Archives info at their biography)

Edited by TenYearsAfter - March 01 2024 at 10:17
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 11:32
I love posts & threads like these!  I cut & pasted entries and then look up the ones I don't know on YouTube!! 

Keep it up!!  Clap

Oh, here's a tasty little bit of JRF guitar playing overlayed onto California Guitar Trio.   Fareed Haque turns on the fire about 2:35 in this clip:

Edited by cstack3 - March 01 2024 at 11:33
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 11:39
This is what I posted in a 2019 non-Svetonio sock puppet accounts thread which asks the same and is still open CLICK HERE . I am tempted to merge these threads.

Janko Nilovic - Rythmes Contemporains
Herbie Hancock - Crossings
Miles Davis - Big Fun
Mandingo - The Primeval Rhythm of Life
Eddie Henderson - Realisation
Julian Priester - Love, Love
Embryo - Embryo's Rache
Perigeo - Genealogia
Soft Machine - Third
Placebo - Ball of Eyes

In fact, I will close this. Please put your lists in the other topic I linked to if you want to re-post them.

So I closed that other thread and moved most of the posts over to this older one (that I linked to before). So that above is now my list that I posted earlier in this thread.

Edited by Logan - March 01 2024 at 14:22
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 12:19
Chicago VII
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 13:00
I prefer the other fusion thread that was recently closed. Most posts from this thread are from members who no longer participate in the forums. Why not close this thread and leave the other open? This five year old thread was bumped today.

Allan Holdsworth - i.o.u
Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up
Matteo Mancuso - The Journey
Mats Öberg - Visa frĺn Inneröra
Owane - Yeah Whatever
Plini - Impulse Voices
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Chick Corea Elektric Band - Beneath the Mask
Virgil Donati - In This Life
Tohpati Ethnomission - Mata Hati

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - March 02 2024 at 00:28
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 13:33
^ People can always re-post their lists here. I guess you're not familiar with the Svetonio issue who has had many sock puppet accounts which we suspend again and again and again. He is very persistent. It's very tiring. That other thread was started by one of his accounts and responded to by various accounts of his. We have been closing and hiding various Svet persona threads and hiding posts to try to discourage him. This thread was bumped today because I gave a link to it in the other thread which I closed and asked people to use this one instead.

Edited by Logan - March 01 2024 at 13:34
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 14:01
^I see three possible Svet posts. I bet it's tiring, but the other thread was more interesting.

Didn't Svet start the Pete Sinfield thread also? Will you shut that down?

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - March 01 2024 at 14:04
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 14:09
Most importantly being that he started it as he has been attracted to his topics (and often would rate them five stars). With some of his accounts I have batch deleted the posts using a spam tool, so there have been more. As I said in the other thread, I was considering merging the topics (kind of a hassle as it's one post at a time, but it's worth it for a more lively and interesting thread, and I will exclude the already suspended Svet accounts from it).

Another way I have dealt with those threads if active has been to hide the posts of the user, although then that is confusing. Feel free to PM with any questions. I don't want to get into certain details here.

Hopefully you and others find this thread know more interesting after merging posts.

Edited by Logan - March 01 2024 at 14:32
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 16:22
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Most importantly being that he started it as he has been attracted to his topics (and often would rate them five stars). With some of his accounts I have batch deleted the posts using a spam tool, so there have been more. As I said in the other thread, I was considering merging the topics (kind of a hassle as it's one post at a time, but it's worth it for a more lively and interesting thread, and I will exclude the already suspended Svet accounts from it).

Another way I have dealt with those threads if active has been to hide the posts of the user, although then that is confusing. Feel free to PM with any questions. I don't want to get into certain details here.

Hopefully you and others find this thread know more interesting after merging posts.
"Svetonio"' thread's request was 'your favourite ten albums by the acts that are listed as jazz-rock/fusion in Progarchives.' That's why I omitted from my list, for example, the Soft Machine's" Bundles," as that band is in the Canterbury Scene PA section. 
Anyway, I liked the idea of the thread, so I contributed. However, this is a five-year-old thread now with a premise that isn't interesting to me at all, and hence I removed my list of my favourite ten albums of the acts listed as jazz-rock/fusion in your database.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 16:25
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Didn't Svet start the Pete Sinfield thread also?
Nope. I started the Pete Sinfield thread.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 07:47
The Prog Corner
Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 06:43
10. Ian Carr / Labyrinth
9. Steely Dan / Aja
8. Brand X / Unorthodox Behaviour
7. The Mahavishnu Orchestra / Visions of the Emerald Beyond
6. Kazumi Watanabe / To Chi Ka
5. Al Di Meola / Kiss My Axe
4. Allan Holdsworth / Metal Fatigue
3. Herbie Hancock / Flood (Live in Japan)
2. Pierre Moerlen's Gong / Gazeuse!
1. Return To Forever / Romantic Warrior

Edited by Gnik Nosmirc - April 13 2024 at 06:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234