Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hannibal - jazz rock-fusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Igor91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hannibal - jazz rock-fusion
    Posted: February 21 2019 at 15:23
I believe this band may have been suggested before, but I feel they should be here, so I am resubmitting them. Not much info on them, but I do know they formed out of the ashes of the band Bakerloo. Their sole 1970 album is on Youtube and here is what is posted about them there:

Hannibal came together, from a band called Bakerloo around Birmingham that featured a guitarist called Clem Clemson, Clem Clemson was a brilliant young musician who went on to work with John Highsman in Coliseum and became a big session guitarist, with his manager Jim Simpson from Birmingham, Jim had funded an album for Bakerloo and shortly after, virtually at the same time, Clem Clemson left to do other things so Jim Simpson had got this album that he wanted promoting in Germany so they actually did a tour of Germany under that name - Bakerloo, before changed the name to Hannibal. With some member changes the band found the spot to record an album that was based around the guitarist Adrian Ingram, who -before Hannibal- had a three piece blues band that were known locally, a fantastic guitarist and although he hadn’t got any education or musical qualifications then, but did get a load, and went on Guitar Chair at the Leeds School of Music for Jazz he's a brilliant jazz guitarist, he does Jazz gigs now over here and the states and has written books on Wes Montgomery and various guitarists so a very accomplished musician, Adrian Ingram was the main feature of the band, all the tracks were written by him. Their horn player and keyboardist Bill Hunt was a member of Breakthrou and later joined Jeff Lynne’s Move. As a seminal and jazzy prog-rock band from the late '60s, Hannibal shared stages with Free, Black Sabbath, Pato, ELO and Johnny Winter. Their album is jam packed with early cutting-edge examples of Jazz-rock fusion guitar playing together with Adrian Ingram's quirky Zappaesque compositions. Hannibal was ahead of its time and eventually became a much sought-after prog, collectors item. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WaUce-fWyA)

Here they are on Discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/419697-Hannibal-5

Cogito ergo sum.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 16:05
thanks, never have listened to this band, sounds akin to Chicago, Blood, Sweat & Tears and similar
I'm not sure if they ever have been considered, will forward this to the team ...

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 16:09
there are some typos in the youtube comment
it's drummer Jon Hiseman, and he played with the band Colosseum, fantastic musician, unfortunately he died in Summer 2018 Cry

Igor91 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Igor91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 16:36
On the CD issue I have it lists John Parkes on drums.
Cogito ergo sum.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 07:56
 Post Reply Post Reply