Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [50.00%]
20 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manfred Mann vs Vangelis
    Posted: March 01 2019 at 08:32
This is based on all things both have been part of. Mann in all hes incarnations or versions and Vangelis in Aphrodite and collaborated stuff. Both are icons of music, in various fealds. Both highly accomplished instrumentalists. Virouses on their intruments. Do you fancy the South African rocker or the Greek rocker.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 08:38
Voted Vangelis, but there are hundreds of artists I'd rather listen to than Manfred Mann or Vangelis.
PROGMATIC
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 08:46
Vangelis - Mann: 100% - 0%
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 08:47
Vangelis. I own quite a few of his, and while I respect Mann's talent as a keyboardist, I currently own none of his albums!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 09:52
Vangelis, especially for his albums of the 1970s (though I like ones such as Blade Runner and Antarctica too), and for his contributions to Aphrodite's Child and Socrates.

As for the Mann, Herbie Mann over Manfred Mann. ;)
Just a fanboy passin' through.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 10:16
Vangelis easily---my fav in Albedo Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 10:28
The MANN, actually my entry point to prog - I probably don't know enough Vangelis, but what I know never convinced me.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 11:06
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The MANN, actually my entry point to prog - I probably don't know enough Vangelis, but what I know never convinced me.

If you haven't heard The Dragon and Hypothesis, then I would recommend those.

Edited by Logan - March 01 2019 at 11:08
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 12:20
Manfred......like all of his various versions.....Vangelis never really hooked me though one or two albums over the years are decent.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 12:22
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 13:02
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Vangelis easily---my fav in Albedo Smile

Hell, yeah! His best album! Clap
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 13:03
the greek 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 13:04
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Geoff Mann over them! LOL 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 13:05
As Vangelis is my favorite, he gets my vote. This is not to say that Manfred Mann is bad in any way. In fact, he too, is quite excellent.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 13:18
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Geoff Mann over them! LOL 
one more vote for Herbie
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 15:44
Manfred Mann
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 16:04

Thanks for this. Well this is of course a good pick for a Can/AD II fan like me, however Vangelis is a bit late with that stuff and not quite that tight. Surely this improves his name in my books but wouldn't quite propel him to the top. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 17:18

Thanks for this. Well this is of course a good pick for a Can/AD II fan like me, however Vangelis is a bit late with that stuff and not quite that tight. Surely this improves his name in my books but wouldn't quite propel him to the top. 

It's jamming (sessions) recorded in 1971 (though not released, unofficially, until 1978).

This is my favourite track off the album:

That said, I'm not trying to improve his name, just offering some music of which you (and others visiting this topic) might not have been aware.

EDIT: By the way, Vangelis was upset when these 1971 sessions were released (they are loose, unpolished, I think they felt right for the time....) I like the sessions for what they are.

Edited by Logan - March 01 2019 at 17:38
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 17:33
Both are excellent, but Vangelis takes my vote, if only just by a hair.

Edited by Manuel - March 01 2019 at 17:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 22:53

EDIT: By the way, Vangelis was upset when these 1971 sessions were released (they are loose, unpolished, I think they felt right for the time....) I like the sessions for what they are.
I love The Dragon and its a five-star album for me. Same goes for his other 1971 but released in 1978-album Hypothesis. Post Aphrodite 's Child it seems he was trying out all kinds of different approaches to music and I enjoy them all. Perhaps more of a "for fans only" but I have a lot of love for this kind of loosely stuctured "free fusion" kind of thing

Not many has heard this 16 minute long 1969 A'sC-track either. Only featured on the otherwise disposable Babylon the Great-compilation:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>