Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brand X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack33001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand X
    Posted: March 24 2019 at 21:45
This is my first post to the forum, so my apologies if I screw it up in some way.

I went and saw Brand X play last night, and man what a show! The level of musicianship was incredible - I went with members of my band, and every one of us was in awe of the Brand X member playing our respective instrument.

Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the venue--The Rose in Pasadena, CA. The service was subpar and everything was incredibly expensive. That isn't really a huge issue for me though, as I came primarily to watch the band.

A band called Pet Shark opened for them, playing some mid-tempo metal that was kind of boring and uninspired. No worries though, it only served to build my group's excitement for the real deal. 

I myself am a drummer, and watching Kenny Grohowski was amazing and just a little bit discouraging; he moves throughout the kit with such fluidity and confidence that I was just blown away. My band's bassist couldn't get over the fact that Percy Jones used a fretless 5-string, and was talking about it the rest of the night. Our guitarist loved John Goodsall's style, and though our keyboardist couldn't make it, we all could appreciate Robin Lumley's stellar improvisation across the keys.

What took my bandmates and I aback the most, though, was the sheer coordination between all members of the band. On songs like "Nuclear Burn", it seemed like they could turn the intensity up to 11, then stop on a dime immediately afterwards. Needless to say, we were all impressed.

Overall, I would highly recommend this show if you can make it. It's relatively cheap (tickets were $20-$40 depending on where you sit), and they have a great sense of humor that comes through in their music and their performance. This review is from the point of view of a 17 year old, so I don't have any of the predispositions towards the band or a certain lineup like some may have, so take my words with a grain of salt. If Brand X makes their way into your town, I would strongly suggest you go check them out.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2019 at 11:47
How'd I miss that one?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 06:48
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! The entire Band is playing better than ever. And yes Kenny is absolutely deadly on drums. I have the The Rites of Spring CD/BLU- RAY and I suggest you pick it up. They actually do Noddy Goes To Sweden off Do They Hurt, and you never hear that tune. Now if only I could hear Triumphant Limp.  Go to Burning Shed.Com  & get on the waiting list for it if they are out. 
Deafmoon
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 10:09
Hi,

My word ... and it is the BEST POSSIBLE GROUP of people and players ... that is definitely worth catching and seeing ... absolutely nothing like the 1999 version I saw that had none of those folks, and while OK, it was sad to see it, and it almost ... almost ... felt like a band ... that had reached its end!

Nice to see it together as it should be. Hopefully they will put together a LIVE cd, because this would be worth and then some!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply