FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

if you could pick only 1 song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: if you could pick only 1 song
    Posted: February 29 2024 at 10:33
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 10:51

1) If you could pick only 1 song for the rest of your life, which one would it be?

Probz something short yet iconic, eg:
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 09:53
1) Supper's Ready 

2) Genesis 

"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
Floret View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 07:16
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 19:31
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Bruckner's  9th Symphony, conducted by Bruno Walter

Bruckner's 9th Symphony is definitely in my Top 5, but I would choose Eugen Jochum's 1966 recording with the Berlin Philharmonic. 

I think this one has cropped up before; I' ve certainly discussed it with presdoug. If I was to only pick one 'track' then although I think B9 is fantastic, I couldn't play it thru as many times as M9, which I'd opt for.

If I'd had gone for B9, then I could choose any of Jochum, Klemperer, Karajan, Wand, Giulini, Bernstein or Haitink... but I might have settled for Abbado's final, monumental performance in 2014.

My choice for 'one track' however will be M9. I could have gone for many of the same interpreters, but for me, this version with Karajan has always remained my favourite:

'one band'? I think that would have to be Tangerine Dream, given the extent of their discography and the fact that I never get tired of it, these days...

Ah, Mahler's 9th...what a wonderful work. As far as interpretations go, I would want the Bruno Walter recording with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra.....
Kindertotenlieder sounds so much like a genuine Austrian last name it's scary! :D
Despite "Songs On The Death Of Children", Mahler and Bruckner's music is positive, and really about life, not death-their symphonies speak of hope , not despair......
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 13:54

Bruckner's 9th Symphony is definitely in my Top 5, but I would choose Eugen Jochum's 1966 recording with the Berlin Philharmonic. 

I think this one has cropped up before; I' ve certainly discussed it with presdoug. If I was to only pick one 'track' then although I think B9 is fantastic, I couldn't play it thru as many times as M9, which I'd opt for.

If I'd had gone for B9, then I could choose any of Jochum, Klemperer, Karajan, Wand, Giulini, Bernstein or Haitink... but I might have settled for Abbado's final, monumental performance in 2014.

My choice for 'one track' however will be M9. I could have gone for many of the same interpreters, but for me, this version with Karajan has always remained my favourite:

'one band'? I think that would have to be Tangerine Dream, given the extent of their discography and the fact that I never get tired of it, these days...

Ah, Mahler's 9th...what a wonderful work. As far as interpretations go, I would want the Bruno Walter recording with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra.....
Kindertotenlieder sounds so much like a genuine Austrian last name it's scary! :D
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Criswell View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Criswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 13:52
Bach's Mass in B minor BWV 232 with the Monteverdi Chior and the English Baroque Soloists conducted by John Eliot Gardiner...the 1985 version...
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 06:31

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 02:52

Edited by Jared - February 21 2024 at 02:54
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2024 at 10:48
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Song - "Supper's Ready"

Band - Yes

I know I'm boring and predictable...

This just might be the same for me although I'm tempted to put Gates of Delirium or maybe CTTE for the song also. 
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2024 at 10:12

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2024 at 09:54
The advantage of picking a band like Yes is that there is a fair chance they will continue and produce more albums in the future. The downside is that it could end up with Bill Sherwood running the show. Wink

I picked Vangelis back in 2019 when the thread was new. That will teach me Unhappy . RIP the great man.

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2024 at 07:25
Song - "Supper's Ready"

Band - Yes

I know I'm boring and predictable...
The Prog Corner
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2024 at 09:31
1. Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict.
Because I would force everybody I meet to listen to it and gauge their reaction. I'd find out who my friends really are.

2. I'll have to think about that for a very, very long time.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2024 at 08:00
Echoes - Pink Floyd
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2024 at 20:32
Song: Grand Hotel by Procol Harum .   Only Because it has a little bit of everything and is relaxing and grand!

Band: Stranglers
All lineups. One of those bands that does it all. And a massive discography.

Edited by Valdez1 - February 13 2024 at 20:38
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2023 at 04:27
1) Oh England, My Lionheart
2) Cardiacs
Hector Enrique View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hector Enrique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 16:38
1. Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull. I guess after listening to it 30 times in less than a week I'd start to hate it. I'd try to keep "And You And I" from Yessongs stashed away to have at least one alternative.

2. Queen - Rush - Pink Floyd. In music it's impossible to be monogamous. Stern Smile
Héctor Enrique
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 12:47
"The Revealing Science of God" from TFTO - after all these years, I am still studying and learning from it!

Yes
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 11:16
Song - Ein Kleine Nachtmusik, Mozart

Band - Rush
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>