Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

if you could pick only 1 song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2023 at 11:41
Fanboy says...

1 song = Karn Evil 9
1 Band = ELP
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2023 at 14:25
This makes no sense. If you can only have one song then the follow up of only one band contradicts the only one song question.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2023 at 14:30
I will be sad :-)
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2023 at 14:50
Ah, so easy to pick. (See my avatar and signature also.)

The band would be Symphony X. They are still active!

And the "song" is...

For the Love of Art and the Making is an album by Danish progressive metal band Beyond Twilight.

For the Love of Art and the Making
Studio album by 
Released2006
GenreProgressive metal
Length37:52
LabelMassacre Records
Beyond Twilight chronology
Section X
(2005)
For the Love of Art and the Making
(2006)

The album is one song split into 43 parts. According to Finn Zierler, there are another three hidden tracks that complete the album's concept. To date, said tracks have not been identified. Furthermore, the order of the track list on the album is not the actual one. Since the album is divided into 43 parts, the listener is able to arrange the parts in any order they regard as logical

Edited by Archisorcerus - August 05 2023 at 14:52
Harold B View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harold B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2023 at 16:10
CTTE
Genesis
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2023 at 16:31
This will change on a daily basis, but as of today...

Inca Roads
Chick Corea (all his projects) or Rush
UnderGround View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnderGround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2023 at 13:25
Song - Eleanor Rigby
Band - The Beatles
https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com/album/zantea-chronicles-the-dream-dominator
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2023 at 13:32
One song - Shine On You Crazy Diamond
One band: Marillion
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2023 at 22:25
One song: idk, I guess "The Odyssey" by Symphony X
One band: Orphaned Land. No question.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2023 at 22:47
Song? Hm, that's hard, I'd get tired of anything, but maybe Amarok, it'd take a while to fully get bored of ALL of it

Artist, maybe The Beatles since there are so many recordings and demos out there it'd take a while to get through all of it once
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Lesanderd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lesanderd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2023 at 08:54
1. The Ivory Gates of Dreams by Fates Warning
2.Rush
Error Code 864G View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Error Code 864G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2023 at 21:40
1. Close to the Edge
2. King Crimson
A Human Being, Existing.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2023 at 13:17
ONE SONG: HEART OF THE SUNRISE
ONE BAND:YES!!!!!
The Prog Corner
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2023 at 15:42
It depends on what purpose the song would serve.

Picking one song for the rest of my life would be torture, and I would grow sick and tired of it pretty soon, but I take it this is not what the topic is about. One solution would be Schubert's "Erlkönig", as performed by Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.

If we speak prog, and it has to be a song (and not, f.e. a suite, an instrumental track etc.), I think I will go with "The Carpet Crawlers". If it can be any track (that is, not necessarily a song): perhaps Neu! - "Hallogallo".

Edited by The Anders - August 14 2023 at 15:52
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2023 at 15:56
1. Song: "Slow Dance" by Anthony Phillips
2. Band: YES!
Fercandio46 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fercandio46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2023 at 00:58
One Song : Moondance, of Van Morrison
One Band : Genesis 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2023 at 10:19
Song: Van der Graaf Generator's "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers". It covers a range of moods and is, I think, awesome.

Band: Swans. It just has most of what I want from music across its discography and enough differences/ variation between albums and phases to keep me interested (and some really long albums to boot).

Edited by Logan - September 10 2023 at 10:33
CygnusX-1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CygnusX-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2023 at 11:35
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

If we speak prog, and it has to be a song (and not, f.e. a suite, an instrumental track etc.), I think I will go with "The Carpet Crawlers". If it can be any track (that is, not necessarily a song): perhaps Neu! - "Hallogallo".

An instrumental track isn't a song?

But anyway, for a song I'd have to go with Thick as a Brick Pt. 2 (Jethro Tull), Lizard (King Crimson), or Heart of the Sunrise (Yes). But its hard to choose, and if you asked me tomorrow I'd probably have a different answer.

As far as a band goes, either ELP, Yes, King Crimson, or Rush.

Clearly I can't commit to any one answer, but its a hard question.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2023 at 13:18
^ Commonly, or often more formally, a song refers to music that involves singing (vocals)., whereas commonly an instrumental refers to music without singing.  I commonly use the word track to refer to much music of the song and instrumental kind., both of which I have seen some call songs.

As the web dictionary put it: "
a short poem or other set of words set to music or meant to be sung."

Commonly I would not refer to suite either that involves singing as "a song" either,

Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2023 at 15:24
Since it's one song, maybe Mike Oldfield's Amorock (which fills a CD, or two sides in old format). It's dozens of little songs put together.

Band.... maybe Gentle Giant, because after decades of listening, I'm still finding stuff going on in the music.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>