Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stephen Morris of New Order on Peter Hammill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stephen Morris of New Order on Peter Hammill
    Posted: May 02 2019 at 22:30
Quite a nice selection of "unsing heroes"-choices in these short interviews (Robert Calvert, Sun Ra, Sibylle Bayer, Selda Bagcan, Fad Gadget, Elizabeth Fraser...) But I remember discovering PH/VdGG myself very well and could relate:

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 03:42
I can relate to smoking lots of weed and discovering Chameleon, Silent Corner and In Camera. Life changing.....
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 08:09
It wasn't just punk/new wave musicians. I got into music around 1980 and discovered 70s prog in parallel to some of the music of the time. I also started reading music journals, and it struck me already at the time how prog largely was seen as outdated whereas Hammill clearly belonged to the present, in the music press as well as for many open-minded music fans who otherwise listened to punk/post punk/new wave. I think it also had to do with Hammill's no nonsense approach to live shows, hardly any light show, no trickery, often solo gigs with just his voice and guitar/keyboards. His albums at the time were pretty straight and personal (good nonetheless). He was successful in avoiding any sign of pretentiousness, which was in stark contrast to the bigger prog acts touring at the time for an audience that seemed seriously old (meaning 30+!) to many at the time. 
(Kraftwerk also managed to be welcomed to the eighties by the next generation, in a totally different way.) 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 09:35
My own discovery was about about thirty years later than Stephen Morris, but I must have been in a similar state (without smoking pot). It was actually Hammill/VdGG simultanously, but I got more obsessive about his solo-stuff first. I guess it hit me harder and in a more more personal way - as his lyricism on his 2nd, 3rd & 4th (+some more) soloalbums spoke to me in a way VdGG didn't (still loved the music though)...at least not yet.  
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 12:19
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

(Kraftwerk also managed to be welcomed to the eighties by the next generation, in a totally different way.) 

To this day I'm gobsmacked by how universal their appeal is.

On a related note, a girl once told me a lot of punks like(d) Rush. Then I remembered how the mainstream rags elected to vilify Rush on a regular basis, and it made sense.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 14:39
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

On a related note, a girl once told me a lot of punks like(d) Rush. Then I remembered how the mainstream rags elected to vilify Rush on a regular basis, and it made sense.
Fact : Punks loved Venom, but I digress.
Something like Nadir’s Big Chance was full of the Punk attitude the scene later grasped.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 05:01
Proper musicians appreciate other proper musicians. It's just the narrative that was put out there by media outlets and clueless music critics that wanted to make it seem different to what it was (imo). Yes Johnny Rotten wore a 'I Hate Pink Floyd' T-Shirt but it's not news to distance yourself from the previous generation. Music as a business is cutthroat but it shouldn't be (a business that is)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 05:24

They are very iconic; Autobahn - Radioactivity - Man Machine - Computer World, they took on some of the central topics of their generation earlier than most other musicians, and they managed to do it in a radical, original, and at the same time accessible way. Think what you want about them in purely musical terms; they absolutely had the knack for doing the right thing at the right time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 06:04
^I think Kraftwerk are geniuses in purely musical terms - and probably more influential than any other band on PA. Maybe Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa or Miles Davis comes close.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 07:58
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^I think Kraftwerk are geniuses in purely musical terms - and probably more influential than any other band on PA. Maybe Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa or Miles Davis comes close.

The 4 albums before Autobahn are also pretty good in their own experimental ways. They don’t fit in with the robotic style although the tendency to repetition is sometimes apparent.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 08:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Proper musicians appreciate other proper musicians. It's just the narrative that was put out there by media outlets and clueless music critics that wanted to make it seem different to what it was (imo). Yes Johnny Rotten wore a 'I Hate Pink Floyd' T-Shirt but it's not news to distance yourself from the previous generation. Music as a business is cutthroat but it shouldn't be (a business that is)

John Lydon has always been an avowed Hammill/VDGG fan
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 10:21
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

The 4 albums before Autobahn are also pretty good in their own experimental ways. They don’t fit in with the robotic style although the tendency to repetition is sometimes apparent.
Indeed. I count them all in... and in regards of influence they're essential albums for both kraut to come, post-rock and more.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 10:25
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

John Lydon has always been an avowed Hammill/VDGG fan
Yep well said by richardh - but it rings true though that in the late 70's Peter Hammill was more relevant than ELP or Yes. Things change though. Bach was almost forgotten for 200 years.    
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 12:03

They are very iconic; Autobahn - Radioactivity - Man Machine - Computer World, they took on some of the central topics of their generation earlier than most other musicians, and they managed to do it in a radical, original, and at the same time accessible way. Think what you want about them in purely musical terms; they absolutely had the knack for doing the right thing at the right time.

I adore Autobahn and The Man-Machine to this day, and I own the other pre-'80s albums. They're forerunners, certainly, but the deliberate simplicity of their machinations, so to speak, is what I liked. When I saw them live in the late '90s in Hollywood, most of the compositions were more textured, which was fine. Even better were all the babes at the show. Wink
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 08:23
Wow, good spot! Here's another VdGG / Hammill namecheck from Morris

http://thequietus.com/articles/05413-joy-division-new-order-stephen-morris-interview-favourite-records?page=9
jc
 Post Reply Post Reply