Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Casiopea - Why is This Amazing Fusion NOT On PA?!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Casiopea - Why is This Amazing Fusion NOT On PA?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Casiopea - Why is This Amazing Fusion NOT On PA?!
    Posted: May 14 2019 at 02:01
I've found a few older threads addressing the same issue - with no real answer!

How the hell is this band not listed on this site?! They're exemplary jazz fusion!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 03:04
Have you thought of proposing them for inclusion?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 06:57
I really love that band. I never suggested them because they became much softer after the debut.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 11:34
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I've found a few older threads addressing the same issue - with no real answer!

How the hell is this band not listed on this site?! They're exemplary jazz fusion!

I don't disagree!
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 11:59
Are we talking the Japanese band from the eighties ?

Based on the little I've listened it's more like Funk-Disco to me, am I wrong?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 13:18
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Are we talking the Japanese band from the eighties ?

Based on the little I've listened it's more like Funk-Disco to me, am I wrong?

funk yes, disco, no. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2019 at 13:47
Excellent debut.   It's funny how jazzrock/fusion as a form went from edgy, aggressive and musically challenging to diluted easy-listening background music.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 04:28
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Excellent debut.

Have to listen to that one...thanks for pointing

(they have tons of recordings thru decades, don't they?)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 05:09
^ You should, it's so complex and technical and yet really accessible and memorable. Their early live albums are great too. Many songs are better than their studio counterparts.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 07:37
S'pose I need to check the debut out... 
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 10:54

Excellent debut.   It's funny how jazzrock/fusion as a form went from edgy, aggressive and musically challenging to diluted easy-listening background music.

In my opinion, Casiopea were never of the aggressive and musically challenging variant. But they're quite good anyway. 

If you have an appreciation for the "easy-listening disco funk jazz fusion AOR smooth jazz yacht rock" that formed Japan's post-modern blend of late-70s/80s American popular music that was termed "City Pop," later Casiopea should be a comfortable fit, too. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 13:39
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Have you thought of proposing them for inclusion?

I'd be absolutely honored to!

Mint Jams is the definitive jazz fusion...I can't believe this is LIVE!

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - May 15 2019 at 13:39

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 19:39

Man, ain't THAT the truth!!  

From the wild-eye pyrotechnics of Mahavishnu Orchestra to, well, late-night TV show bands. 

Mind you, some of those cats are amazing (Kevin Eubanks for the US show "The Tonight Show" was a favorite), but the edge is gone.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 21:13
^ Yeah the late-nighters were usually fine (Paul Shaffer's band, David Sanborn), it's the stuff seemingly destined for waiting rooms and airport bookstores that killed it.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 06:32
T-Square should also be on PA.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 06:55
Yeah I saw something about them before on NHK World few years back, Japan have many great Jazz/fusion acts I didnt even know of. 

In the meantime I found there Jazz Music archives entry 
CYMRU AM BYTH
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 08:51
Wow, just when I thought I knew everything. Not even sure I've heard of them. Sounds a little fuzakie to me though. Possibly in the same ballpark as Spyro Gyra.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 31 2019 at 08:52
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2019 at 09:55
Listened to the first album (track list out of whack on YT)

it was ok
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2024 at 20:43
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2024 at 22:42
Just did a deep dive on their discography last year, and I can say that their first three albums and first two live albums will be the most enticing to most listeners here. After that, there's a few stand out tracks on albums here and there, but it starts to meld together. It's all very well-made, and every incarnation of the band had/has great players. You can put it on and not want to turn it off... but you might want to be doing something else while it's on. It's the best kind of background music. You can drop your attention in at any time and go "oh yeah, nice!" And then drop out again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>