Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite song intro?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2020 at 18:22
Now I have the ‘menacing’ intro to Locomtive Breath stuck in my head. I’m going to have to dig out Aqualung coz it’s such a kick-ass album.
Oh, I haven’t scoured the pages but surely Genesis’ Eleventh Earl of Mar is a phenomenal intro (and outro too) ??
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 00:51
^ If there was a track intro that could blow a sub-woofer , that's it!
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 03:06
First 3 minutes of Haken's Architect, especially those choir synths at the end.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 05:47
Close to The Edge.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 10:07
The screaming violins that segue "The Talking Drum" into "Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Part 2".  That was always fun to play at a party at college at full volume!

Edited by cstack3 - May 17 2020 at 10:25
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 12:07
The greatest chord to start a song:

The greatest barbershop quartet intro:

The greatest intro with a guy wearing a burning fire pit on top of his head:

Edited by The Dark Elf - May 17 2020 at 12:17
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 05:50
I always loved the bass solo at the beginning of this song. Actually the first nine and a half minutes could count as an intro since there are no vocals until near the end!

Edited by AlanB - May 18 2020 at 05:52
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 07:13
Excuse me will now be in my head all day. It is there now. Oh damn.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 14:14
No question, no hesitation:

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 14:45
Good question. At the moment I think I will go with the acoustic guitar chords at the beginning of "Pinball Wizard" from The Who's Tommy. It was a perfect way to start the song.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 19:34
The intro to close to the edge and heart of the sunrise are both great. So is the intro to firth of fifth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 19:46
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The screaming violins that segue "The Talking Drum" into "Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Part 2".  That was always fun to play at a party at college at full volume!

I never got the impression those were violins. I could be wrong but it doesn't sound like a violin(or violins)to me. I don't really know what that sound is but I guess I always just thought it was some kind of weird sound effect.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 22:53
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 01:25
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by Foxprog Foxprog wrote:

That was a good one, never heard of it before

Yep....even with that "Ovation sound"LOL

Yours is no stranger to me. The Italians are the masters of atmosphere in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with the "Ovation" sound!  Ask Bob Fripp.....from Wikipedia's article for Guitar Craft:

Fripp recommended that students adopt the Ovation 1867 Legend steel-string guitar, which had a shallow body.[5][21][22] "Fripp liked the way the Ovation 1867 fitted against his body, which made it possible for him to assume the right-arm picking position he had developed using electric guitars over the years; on deeper-bodied guitars, the Frippian arm position is impossible without uncomfortable contortions", according to Tamm.[21] While the 1867 Legend is no longer manufactured, it influenced the design of the Guitar Craft Pro Model of Guitar Craft Guitars, which has been endorsed by Fripp.[22] Besides the Ovation 1867 Legend, other Ovation shallow-body guitars are widely used in Guitar Craft and recommended for use in related performing groups, such as the Guitar Circle of Europe. The Ovation's truss rod can offset the increased tension of the NST strings, protecting the neck from bending.

chameleonday View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chameleonday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 14:36
Yes: To Be Over - Relayer
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 16:15
Prog: Watcher of the Skies
Other: Highway Star (from Made in Japan)
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 22:21
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I never got the impression those were violins. I could be wrong but it doesn't sound like a violin(or violins)to me. I don't really know what that sound is but I guess I always just thought it was some kind of weird sound effect.

I'm certain it is David Cross on violin. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2020 at 18:38

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm certain it is David Cross on violin. 

I'm not so let's just agree to disagree. Wink 

FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2020 at 07:34
Shine on you crazy diamond and behind the lines are definitely my favourites.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 05:44
Anekdoten - Wheel
Änglagård - Jordrök
Mainhorse - Introduction
Raw Material - Ice Queen
Uriah Heep - Salisbury

All recommended!

Not from prog:

Edited by thief - July 02 2020 at 05:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>