Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite song intro?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2020 at 06:11
Hundreds, actually. Today my choice is Freewill.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2020 at 07:11
China Cat/Sunflower - Grateful Dead. Remarkably groovy opening.
Last Voyage - Gentle Giant.
Not prog, but 'Gimme Shelter' by the Stones for sure.
I know a hundred people have said it already, but it was the first one that came to my mind so I have to also say, 'Firth of Fifth'.

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 10:06
"One, two, free four"

'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2020 at 10:40
Originally posted by Spacegod87<div>Not prog, but 'Gimme Shelter' by the Stones for sure.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>[/QUOTE Spacegod87
Not prog, but 'Gimme Shelter' by the Stones for sure.

[/QUOTE wrote:

for sure and word.. that might be the single best rock song into ever... from the album t

for sure and word.. that might be the single best rock song into ever... from the album that had 3 of the greatest song intros ever LOL

though this one is mighty tough to beat...for both intro.. and outro LOL

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2020 at 08:18
Originally posted by Foxprog Foxprog wrote:

What is your favourite intro in a song, I have a plenty of possibilities. At the moment i'm listening Appena un po' (first 45 seconds) and I just simply love the calm and mystery style of it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oekZP4wr2Y

Easily Nektar and the intro to "Tab in the ocean" - I never tire of that Hammond organ sequence followed by Roye Albrighton's guitar.

Honourable mention for Fraternity and "Seasons of change" - specifically the 3:55 re-recorded version from the "Flaming Galah" album (not the shorter original single release).

It's not easy to find this version on the web, on Youtube it's well-outnumbered by all the "live-in-the-studio" performances in TV Studios which showcase Bon Scott circa 1971 sporting a billy-goat beard and brandishing a recorder:

It does die off a bit after 30 seconds though (the song that is, not the beard)... LOL  

It's perhaps easiest to find the version of the song here: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12d61t

Edited by David64T - July 17 2020 at 08:31
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 08:23
One of my favorite intros and favorite songs for that matter...no vocals until almost 3 min in...

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 09:31
Some great acoustic intros...

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2020 at 10:52
Although VdGG has a number of great endings, I couldn't think of any great starts. But then I thought of two: "Lost" and "When She Comes".

Edited by I prophesy disaster - July 18 2020 at 10:55
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Rrattlesnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 07:53
AUUUUUUUTOOOOOOOBAAAAAAHHHNNNNNNNN
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 08:50
My all time fav? The intro to Can You Understand? by Renaissance.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 00:05
My all time favorite as of right now is the piano intro to "Firth of Fifth."
Hector Enrique View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hector Enrique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2023 at 11:57

Rush - 2112 / Xanadu
Dream Theater - The Glass Prison / The Count of Tuscany
Genesis - Firth of Fifth
Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond
EL&P - Hoedown

Prog Related
Queen - The March of the Black Queen

Non Prog
Boston - Foreplay

Héctor Enrique
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2023 at 12:06
Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Plaistow Patricia LOL
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2023 at 12:50
How about 'The Revealing Science of God"?
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2023 at 13:46
The Damned - Smash It Up, Pts. 1&2

Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2023 at 19:58
Big Big Train - The Transit of Venus Across The Sun
others by BBT
The First Rebreather
Judas Unrepentant
East Coast Racer ( I love the fact they repeat it as a closer as well)
Master James Of St George

Edited by richardh - October 01 2023 at 19:58
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2023 at 23:16
The opening of "The Revealing Science of God" on the original LP vinyl pressing, before they remastered it and added all of that ambient noodling stuff!! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2023 at 15:49
I don't know if it's my favorite, but I love the beginning of Rainbow "Stargazer" with the crazy Cozy Powell drumming and Ritchie Blackmore running the pick down the guitar neck.

It's about 10 seconds of craziness before launching into the song. It has nothing to do with the rest of the song. I almost wonder if they were drunk when they came up with that. And yet, it's perfect.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2023 at 18:41
Not sure whether these two legendary intros have yet been mentioned... Supertramp's School, and of course Hells Bells (for more than 20 years now they play this in the stadion of my football club when the players come out - still the best way to start a game)!
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2023 at 19:05
Easy: "Love Jones" by the Brighter Side of Darkness.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>