Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member - looking for recommendations!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member - looking for recommendations!
    Posted: May 23 2019 at 09:37
Hi all!

Been reading this forum for a while now, and really enjoying it. The polls, recommendations, and appreciation threads have helped me discover lots of new music. 

I first got into prog a couple years ago, I think first through a coworker talking about having In the Court of the Crimson King when it first came out, and then checking it out because of shared taste in other music (The Beatles, John Lennon, etc).

I'm looking for more music to love! It could be a lesser-known song by an artist I already like. Or an underrated album. Or a new artist altogether. Or maybe even an artist I thought I didn't like (that's always a great surprise). Anything is appreciated!

Here's a sense of my taste, starting with what I know and like from the big guns:

Yes - I first got into Roundabout, then the Yes Album (Perpetual Change and Starship Trooper were faves at some point). The day Close to the Edge became my favorite was a breakthrough in enjoying this kind of music. At some point The Revealing Science of God was my favorite. I don't listen to them a ton now - aren't hitting the sweet spot for some reason - but definitely appreciate them. Going for the One is probably my favorite album now, with the organ at the end of Awaken being a great moment. I also like The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Wakeman, Hold Out Your Hand by Squire, Pennants by Howe, Hell's Bells by Bruford, and some of Olias and other stuff by Jon.

Genesis - I first got into Selling England, with Firth of Fifth and Cinema Show being faves. Watcher of the Skies was also an early favorite. Then Seven Stones and Fountains of Salmacis. Can-Utility become a big favorite and I'd say I even prefer Foxtrot to Selling England now. However, I'm actually most into The Lamb now. Back in NYC, Carpet Crawlers, etc - a lot of good stuff to explore on that album and feels more mature. I'm definitely a Peter Gabriel guy, and love his first solo album. Also appreciate Don't Give Up with Kate Bush, and In Your Eyes from So. But that being said, I do like some Collins Genesis, like Dance on a Volcano and Home by the Sea. I just think Gabriel is the more interesting of the two.

This is going to get a lot longer than I initially thought, so I'm going to add posts on other bands afterwards, haha.

For now let me just throw out a couple of other random things to give you a better sense of my taste:
Strawbs - Hero and Heroine (so good)
PFM - Per Un Amico (so good)
KC - I'm more into Waiting Man than Court of the Crimson King these days (Belew is great).
Van der Graaf - Was really into Killer style, now more into Refugees style. Not super into them overall, but love some songs.
Jethro Tull - Was not into them at all for quite some time. First got into Thick, now I actually really like Benefit. Also Thick 2 is amazingly good for a modern album.
Alphataurus - La Mente Vola (those vocals)
Biglietto - Confessione (those vocals)
Caravan - I liked In the Land of Grey and Pink a lot for a bit, but now I really don't find it that interesting.
Camel - Also find a lot of their stuff dull, but not everything for sure. Stationary Traveller is a great track.
Zappa - Not a big fan honestly.
Gentle Giant - Gonna save details for another post, but they're amazing, love them.
Rush - Not a big fan honestly. I keep trying. Limelight is interesting.
Gryphon - Red Queen is a fun album for an occasional listen.
Happy the Man - I find it hard to get into them, but there are aspects I love.
The Moody Blues - I like some of their stuff a lot, from Days and such, but find them dull more often than not.
Procol Harum - More of a PH fan, with their first album and Salty Dog being great. Was super into Wreck of the Hesperus for a while.
Nektar - Again, hard to get into and I don't like a bunch of their stuff, but some aspects I love. King of Twilight is fun, The Dream Nebula Pt. 1 has such a cool feel.
That's enough for now, hey?

And yes, love the Beatles, John Lennon, etc. Joe Cocker and all that. And even earlier, pop, jazz, classical. I'm more picky about specific artists and their songs and such more than I am about genres.

But that being said, I don't like prog metal nor neo prog, or most modern music, sorry! I'm not into too heavy nor too polished.

Thanks in advance for reading this essay... ha... and appreciate any suggestions. Looking forward to discussing great music!

Ash
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 12:19
Check out The Flower Kings. It's a modern band, yeah... but their style is reminiscent of the classic sound. TBH I think people should be more open to new music cause by limiting their taste to just the classic age they miss out a lot of great stuff.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 12:38
I recommend this one:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 12:47
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 13:36
Sounds like Saga is a band you'll like!

AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 14:04
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Check out The Flower Kings. It's a modern band, yeah... but their style is reminiscent of the classic sound. TBH I think people should be more open to new music cause by limiting their taste to just the classic age they miss out a lot of great stuff.

I totally agree with you, in principle, but I just don't find as much that I like from recent years. I think part of it is the production techniques, and part of it is the feeling of "knock-off" versions of things already done.

Just listening to "Tower One." Don't love the "clean" production or close-mic'd vocals, and the drummer is a bit heavy, but the guitarist is cool for sure.

Thanks for the recommendation!
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 14:29
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I recommend this one:

Super interesting, thank you! Added to my Spotify.

I could use a little more singing or melody, personally, but it definitely has a lot of good stuff to explore. Not one for a casual listen though, I think.
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 14:38
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

A bit too much of an instrumental mashup for me, with lots of sounds of classic prog. Certainly skilled and interesting though, with some cool sounding moments, thanks!
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 14:51
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Sounds like Saga is a band you'll like!

A bit too manic 80's for me, but I do like that they are upbeat and fun. Thanks for the recommendation!
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 15:22
So lets make some kind of list then :)

Balletto di bronzo - introduzione, such a great italiano song
Renaissance - Song of schereazade, you don't see female prog rock singers that often
Peter Hammill - A louse is not a home
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn part 1 (Dark room, put headphones at maximum and enjoy an experience of a lifetime)
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom (not an easy album to get into, dark prog at it's finest)
Opeth - Faith in others, undeniable newborn classic, please listen this one.

Edited by Foxprog - May 23 2019 at 15:23
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 15:25
Very specific taste, maybe --

Duncan Mackay
Duncan Mackay Chimera album cover

National Health
National Health Of Queues And Cures album cover

Yezda Urfa
Yezda Urfa Boris album cover

Dice
Dice The Four Riders Of The Apocalypse album cover

U.K.
UK Danger Money album cover

The Web
The Web I Spider album cover

Pentwater
Pentwater Pentwater album cover

Good luck !

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 15:35
You said you first got into prog a few years ago but based on your list it looks like you are really a fan from the old days. Anyway, I couldn't help notice that there really isn't anyting on your list from after the 70's so here are a few post seventies bands to try out:

Marillion 
Porcupine Tree -start with the mid to late 90's albums if you like early Pink Floyd
The Flower Kings
Spock's Beard
Transatlantic
Echolyn 
Big Big Train -popular recent band
IQ

Also, if you like PFM give Banco a try. They are an older Italian band from the 70's who are back with a new album.

Also, you didn't mention Kansas. Much more to them than their few radio hits. I suggest "leftoverture" and their other 70's albums. Very prog. You will be surprised if you only know them for their classic rock staples.

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 17:08
Everybody here knows I'm going to recommend something by David Sancious.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 17:10
OK, I think Renaissance might work for you (Ashes are Burning, Turn of the Cards, and Scheherazade... or the live Carnegie Hall). Marillion, specially the first four with Fish. Transatlantic, specially The Whirlwind. Big Big Train, specially English Electric.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 17:51
Since you wrote "I don't like prog metal nor neo prog, or most modern music, sorry! I'm not into too heavy nor too polished" I think that various recommendations here won't do it for you.

Here's one to try:

Eventually you're going to have to try Magma (if you haven't already). ;) But right now that might be throwing you off the deep end.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 18:49
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 20:30
Stackridge
Greenslade
Brand X
Nova...Italian band from the 70s.  Has members of Brand X on one of the albums Wink
The Enid... More classically orientated
The Long Hello ( Members of VDGG)
Twelfth Night
Pendragon

Edited by noni - May 23 2019 at 20:32
Sentient Ear View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sentient Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 22:13
I'll put in a word for Catapilla, particularly their self-titled album. It's adventurous and intense, with some jazzy sax and really unique female vocals that feel very much ahead of their time.  

Family - Music In a Doll's House is a 1968 classic well worth checking out. The melodies often carry over a positive 60s vibe but there's an edge to the music that sets it apart and adds an extra dimension or three. The vocals and the layering and alternating of instruments give it a very distinctive tone.

Quella Vecchia Locanda has some really beautiful melodies and exquisite instrumentation all without getting long-winded or overly dramatic.

I can't go without making a case for modern prog. Give Haken's The Mountain a try sometime - it has some passages that are rather reminiscent of Gentle Giant and there's a good range that keep things interesting, so even if you don't like one song you might still find something to enjoy along the way. It's not too heavy and not too polished, and has earned a prominent spot in the prog community since its release. 

Since you mention liking Gabriel, I'm curious, how do you feel about Up? If you enjoy it, that may a sign that you may find it worthwhile exploring modern music a bit more.

Edited by Sentient Ear - May 23 2019 at 22:44
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 00:27
Emerson, Lake and Palmer -first 4 studio albums or start with the live triple album Welcome Back My Friends. (Ignore everything after 1974)
UK (everything but there isn't much just 2 studio albums and a couple of live albums but they are all good)
Aphrodites Child - 666 (massive album)
Kansas - s/t debut and Song For America
Mike Oldfield - first 4 albums (up to and including Incantations)
Vangelis - Heaven and Hell (this might appeal to you if you like Rick Wakeman)
Jethro Tull (anything up to about Heavy Horses)

that takes care of the seventies!

80's and onwards is hard.
IQ - Tales From The Lush Attic (this is classic and could be a lost seventies gem if I didn't know better)
Eloy - Time To Turn ( this is a personal fave of mine , if you like a lot synths in your prog check it out)
Par Lind Project - Gothic Impressions (again could be a lost seventies classic)

In general you will probably enjoy the Swedish prog bands more than a lot of the English prog . Anglagard is a no brainer and also the very recent All Traps On Earth - A Drop Of Light is a modern classic. Also check out Wobbler.

I'm done!

AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2019 at 06:09
Whoa, you all are great, thanks!! Will check these out and get back. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>