Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Make your own Frank Zappa album!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Make your own Frank Zappa album!
    Posted: June 07 2019 at 08:20
For this installment of " Make your own ------ album", I thought we would try Zappa.
 You get to pick 8 Zappa tracks to go on your own compilation album. The one rule is you can only use one track form each existing album. Pick for any 8 albums you like. Don't worry about song length, just pick 8 songs. 

1.Trouble Every Day
2. Peaches & Regalia
3.The Orange County Lumber Truck
4. Eat That Question
5. Zomby Woof
6. Cosmic Debris
7. Catholic Girl
8. G Spot Tornado  

Edited by Argo2112 - June 07 2019 at 13:29
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2019 at 14:18
I'll just post Sheik Yerbouti. ;)
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieronymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2019 at 14:35
I used to do that with my vinyl & MD player/recorder. I decided to go all-instrumental for mine:

1. Son of Mr. Green Genes
2. Return of the Son of Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar
3. Apostrphe '
4. Black Napkins
5. Eat That Question
6. Chunga's Revenge
7. Them or Us
8. King Kong

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2019 at 14:41
Hungry Freaks Daddy
Plastic People
The Idiot b*****d Son
Side one of Lumpy Gravy
Peaches en Regalia
Don't Eat the Yellow Snow
Disco Boy
Dancin' Fool

One of these might be replaced with "Charva" from The Lost Episodes, mostly because this one is so hilariously funny.

Edited by The Anders - June 07 2019 at 14:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2019 at 14:42
Some words are auto-censored??
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2019 at 16:02
Brown Shoes Don't Make It
Peaches en Regalia
Willie the Pimp
My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama
Little House I Used to Live In
Big Swifty
Camarillo Brillo
Montana
Sex

Edited by dwill123 - June 07 2019 at 16:04
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2019 at 17:35
Willie The Pimp
Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue
Chunga's Revenge
Big Swifty
The Grand Wazoo
I'm The Slime
Inca Roads
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2019 at 05:18
I'll make it an instrumental one: 

Peaches en Regalia
Chunga's Revenge
Big Swifty
Blessed Relief 
Apostrophe 
Sofa no. 1
Zoot Allures 
The Ocean is the Ultimate Solution
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 02:12
I deleted my previous attemnt. Almost 80 minutes:

A
Invocation and Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin
Son Of Mr. Green Genes
The Orange County Lumber Truck

B
The Little House I Used to Live In

C
Inca Roads
Filthy Habits
Blessed Relief

D
Big Swifty
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 08:27
I normally prefer his early recordings with the Mothers of Invention to his later jazz fusion things from the 70's. Not that I don't like his 70's output, but I always felt that albums like Freak Out and We're Only In It For the Money were much richer and eclectic from a musical and artistic point of view, with their seemingly impossible combination of doo-wop parodies, pop songwriting, advanced harmony with elements of both jazz and modern classical music, musique concrete, witty satire and absurd humor.

Edited by The Anders - June 19 2019 at 08:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 09:01
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I normally prefer his early recordings with the Mothers of Invention to his later jazz fusion things from the 70's. Not that I don't like his 70's output, but I always felt that albums like Freak Out and We're Only In It For the Money were much richer and eclectic from a musical and artistic point of view. Where else would you find albums that embrace both doo-wop parodies, pop songwriting, advanced harmony with elements of both jazz and modern classical music, musique concrete, witty satire and absurd humor.
I too love most of the early Mothers-material. My selection is based on what I currently listen to - and it's been quite some time since I listened to "rock songs" (it may come back to me. Always does). Stretched out compositions without words is more where its at I guess. Doo-wop parodies has never been my thing though.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 20:04
Hi,

This one is easy .... 200 MOTELS and 200 albums in between.

It's the story of his life! So why complicate it with the top ten?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 22:55
Trouble Every Day
Son of Mr. Green Gene's
Blessed Relief
Apostrophe'
Inca Roads
Flakes
Variations on the Carlos Santana Secret Chord Progression
Night School

Bonus Track: Out to Get You (lead guitar by Frank Zappa, from the Frank Zappa-produced Grand Funk Railroad album Good Singin', Good Playin'.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2019 at 01:16
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

This one is easy .... 200 MOTELS and 200 albums in between.

It's the story of his life! So why complicate it with the top ten?
For fun. For thinking. For getting to know oneself and maybe Zappa. Who knows maybe to make up an introductory story of his life, like a bio or a movie... or well maybe for similar reasons many of the already existing collections out there exists. Or perhaps to play god. In addition to experience art I'm predisposed to create and recreate. Its what I do in life. You seem to be more of a christian moralist who doesn't want us to tamper with the creation of (the) god(s) - but I'm on the devil's team. Maybe we're all just more creative than you are since you never feel the urge to pick up on challenges like this. Zappa himself decided what to perform live, Zappa selected which tunes to go on live albums, Zappa selected from his own music to go on various compilations - obviously thinking about how compositions first presented in one context could work in another (and to make money). But for the latter most importantly had to be to introduce newcomers to his music in a (more or less) representive way. Something most every band that lasted for more than a couple of releases have done at some point. If someone asks: so what is this Zappa all about then? - you can reply: oh just listen to all his 250 albums and then you'll understand. But as I've lived together with, talked to and interacted with several other human beings in my life - I'd know that advice would be completely useless. In my late teens I started obsessing about The Residents because someone had bothered to compile a C90 for me. It was life changing and I'm thankful for it.

-So I posted a fake 2LP, listened to my ripped digital version of it both before and after I posted it here. It's spectacular! I thought about making four nicely flowing album sides for myself - mostly just to see what I ended up with. But simultaneously thinking about those who don't get or like Zappa... or gets put off by his cynicism, vulgarity/bad jokes... or just his complexity... because I've heard and read things like that "all my life". "This'll show 'em" I thought, but I might be wrong. So what

Edited by Saperlipopette! - June 20 2019 at 01:38
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2019 at 07:21
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

You seem to be more of a christian moralist who doesn't want us to tamper with the creation of (the) god(s) - but I'm on the devil's team. ...

You couldn't be more wrong than this ... I'm the least religious person you could ever possibly meet. The only "religion" I adhere to is the intuition that helps create the arts. It's much easier to feel it and understand it and not call it "_______________", like most people do here, when the feeling inside it is not invisible, which more often than not, it isn't, maybe with the exception of some of the Jazz guys, and even then, the personality comes through!

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Maybe we're all just more creative than you are since you never feel the urge to pick up on challenges like this. 

You are so far out of your league and ideas, and have no idea what you are even saying ... sorry!

Creativity is not something you know or understand!

500+ Foreign Film Reviews ... I have been on the "fight" for progressive and experimental for 50 years. You wouldn't know what fighting for creativity is all about, because during this past 30 years, so much of it has been copy and metronomic stuff, with the same exact drumming for every part of the music. At least in my days, it was quite different and much more creative!

17 Short Stories

5 Novels

400 Poems

And I write a lot on progressive music ... which, seems to me, you can only approve some kind of an idea of ... 

Sorry ... not even worth the discussion anymore! I have a novel to finish, and you are simply making sure I DON'T .... hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by moshkito - June 20 2019 at 07:22
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply