Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GEPR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GEPR
    Posted: July 03 2019 at 15:14
You know:

Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock

After almost 30 years of existence seems to have finally passed away - unless I'm wrong and only the address has moved ... if you have more info please post here.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 15:28
That's a shame.   I've known Fred Trafton for years, got my start as a writer there back in 2004.   Maybe I'll email him and see what the deal is.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 13:49
My email to Fred was returned as inactive.  I imagine he retired as GEPR Webmaster and closed the site.  Too bad.

Edited by Atavachron - July 04 2019 at 13:50
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 14:28
Indeed ! Thanks for sharing, anyway.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 21:05
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

That's a shame.   I've known Fred Trafton for years, got my start as a writer there back in 2004.   Maybe I'll email him and see what the deal is.

that's a shame..  that was a real gold mine of info.  Didn't you also write at ProgGnosis as well David.

made me curious.. got my start over at DDD and Lew is still cranking alone with that site but is largely dead. A far cry from the peak 2002-03 years when we had thousands of members and several hundred active daily. A real fun site and job that was.. learned alot there and moderated both the prog and bass sections...in fact that was where Ivan and I ran into each other and he stole me to come over to this site.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 21:22
I visited the site maybe two weeks ago at the most(probably not even that long ago) and it was still there. I checked just now and it could be temporarily down. If it was really gone I think there would be a domain name for sale thing pop up. I'll check again in a few days and see what happens.

Anyway, it was a good site but hasn't been active for about five years. Before this site(progarchives)really got going it was one of the big ones for prog enthusiasts. Apparently there was even a book form of it at one point(back in the 90's). I don't think there has been many(if any)contributions to it in some time though. 

Another good one at least for ratings and not so much reviews is gnosis2000 which started as a site for those with huge prog record collections to rate their music(this was several years before rate your music started). They did incorporate reviews which are still on there but that has dwindled over time and the focus is back to ratings(which was always the main focus anyway). The raters tend to not like anything too commercial or neo prog so if you are into eclectic, rio/avant or classic prog and want to see what prog "experts" like it's a good place to visit.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 04 2019 at 21:25
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 00:41
^ There's this kinda stuff -

A few pages are saved scattered about the net but it's only about 1% of the total content

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 00:59
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

that's a shame..  that was a real gold mine of info.  Didn't you also write at ProgGnosis as well David.

made me curious.. got my start over at DDD and Lew is still cranking alone with that site but is largely dead. A far cry from the peak 2002-03 years when we had thousands of members and several hundred active daily. A real fun site and job that was.. learned alot there and moderated both the prog and bass sections...in fact that was where Ivan and I ran into each other and he stole me to come over to this site.

No never did the Prognosis.   And GEPR never had a forum so it was just disparate people doing what they could.   Fred is a gem.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 01:12
GEPR was about the only website I ever checked out during the 90's on the web...
I dare say it was the only reason why I surfed during that decade..
RIP GEPR if it's indeed defunct.

However, when I started to web-around daily in late 2003, I soon found out about ProgArchives 2.0 that M@X had just started to develop. We started communicating and was lured in and as this site grew, it was at the expense of my visits to GEPR (and ProgGonosis)...

In some ways , we (at PA) rendered GEPR obsolete

I had checked out whether GEPR was still around a couple of months ago, and still found the site intact then.

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 03:12
Well, guys, it seems to have been archived  HERE

From a quick search seems to be totally preserved, less bad news after all.

(I still use it now and then to get info on more obscure bands)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 05:11

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

No never did the Prognosis.   And GEPR never had a forum so it was just disparate people doing what they could.   Fred is a gem.

ahhh. for some reason I thought I remembered you had.  Old age I guess or too much booze, blow and broads taking its toll.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 13:20
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Well, guys, it seems to have been archived  HERE

From a quick search seems to be totally preserved, less bad news after all.

(I still use it now and then to get info on more obscure bands)

That page wasn't working yesterday, good to see.   Unfortunately Fred is still AWOL.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 00:01
It seems to be totally dead now unfortunately. Glad to see it's at least been archived though.

As for 90's prog sites the very first one I ever found was something like www.progressiverock.net which was a sort of mother ship of prog sites. On it there were tons of links. The guy who ran it, Adam(I think was his name), was in the 90's prog band the Dark Aether Project and when that site closed he turned the domain name into his band website. I actually only knew about that site because of the book "the progressive rock files" which listed it. I think I bought that book in late 1998. I didn't even really think of looking online for prog until I saw that site mentioned in that book. I discovered GEPR and other sites(and RMP) a little bit later. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 08 2019 at 00:03
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2019 at 07:46
Fred is still active. He lost the domain name (renewed it too late), but we are running a small project with a team of 3 people to revive the site in a new location some time in 2020. :-)
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 02:35
Also, Fred will be looking for people to help in updating the content of the site. Drop us a message if you’re interested. The new Encyclopedia will become a community effort.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 04:08
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Also, Fred will be looking for people to help in updating the content of the site. Drop us a message if you’re interested. The new Encyclopedia will become a community effort.

Hey Angelo,

I see you moved to ItalyWink
Now, you mention this as I've just deleted the GEPR bookmark from my favorites two weeks ago. Embarrassed

As for GEPR (I never thought Gilbraltar as a "prog" name, BTW as it is more of a regressive point in human history >> it clearly should be Spanish), is it really worth all the trouble to reliven it and spend tghousands of hours and probably a small fortune (not to mention the informatics headaches and upgrades to stand the changes) for something that has run its course a long while ago? 
I mean the site was clearly VERY useful from 95 until 2005 (or so), but nowadays, unless starting a more modern version of PA's album database (as opposed to GEPR's which was an artistes database) allowing reviews.

I think you've read the two threads (the one in the open forum and the one behind the scene) about PA's future and seen the points of renovating or starting anew.
I don't want to be defeatisty and you could find support amongst the disgruntled PA members and you could also fish support from the olf ProgGnosis site as well.

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 00:32
Hello Hughues! Yes indeed, I moved to Italy and started over... new family, new baby, new house (with a real home office this time). 

GEPR hasn't had updates since 2011, but Fred is retiring early next year and sought help to revive it. The content is being 'salvaged' and converted to a database on top of which we are building a brand new site. It will have bands bios, band and album reviews, musician tracing (who played with which bands and when, and vice versa), and more features that serve the typical prog nerd. 

I haven't seen the two threads you refer to, but for years I've wondered why on earth Max didn't seek assistance to modernise and maintain the site software - we're basically looking at a 15 year old web site that is stuck because it's not open to modernisation. That will be a challenge for GEPR2 as well, staying up to date, but at least we are aware of it and looking for ways to do it. A community of reviewers and 'forummers' is nice, but a functioning community for a site like this also requires a group of technical people to participate. Challenging, but not impossible.
ISKC Rock Radio
DBSilver View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBSilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2019 at 20:41
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I don't want to be defeatisty and you could find support amongst the disgruntled PA members and you could also fish support from the olf ProgGnosis site as well.

20+ years ago I wanted to expand my programming skills to include a database centric web site.
I also love progressive rock & fusion.  GEPR was the best reference on the web for prog and AllMusic.com demonstrated what a database driven site could do.
And so with the two of them as inspiration, Land of Prog was started in the fall of 1999 and became Proggnosis in Feb 2000.
(History note - Ronny Lucky was a member of LandOfProg/Proggnosis. He left in the late spring of 2000 because he and a friend, Denis, were given a web site by Bruno. This site was called ProgLands.
Rony met M@x later in 2000 and dumped Denis after Burno Ault gifted Ronny another site and database he had built for himself.
Bruno was a talented Brazilian programming working in Florida and a great guy and I miss chatting with him.)

There have never been many of us at Proggnosis and we would absolutely welcome more contributors.  We say so on our site - and have posted the same in ProgressiveEars.
We are proud of our site and of the years of service we have provided to the prog community.

We have no advertisting and so I make not a dime off of Proggnosis. M@x and I chatted a number of times during the first years of PA.  
He couldn't believe we didn't try to make money off the site. He told me he was starting to make a lot of money.  But that is apparent by all the space allocated for ads on PA.

For Proggnosis, I pay for webhosting. I pay for database storage. I pay for bandwidth.  I do all the web site programming.
Our 'members/contributors' have menu options that allow them to directly update content on Proggnosis via their browser.
As of my last re-write a few years ago, we updated to C# .net MVC web site - one that is mobile friendly to boot! (try it on your phone or tablet!).
Next update will be to .net Core.
I am always open to suggestions for adding new features and functionality for either the current iteration of the site or for the next one.

Fred could start from scratch and that is the right thing to do if 
a) he needs to be the 'ower' 
b) he needs to be in sole and absolute control of it
c) the name must be GEPR and only GEPR rather than perhaps a double-name separated by hyphen.

Otherwise - he might consider that Proggnosis already has a modern site - a database with powerful search features and fully capable of meeting the needs for documenting and researching progressive and fusion music.  It also has a cadre of contributors and it's own technology geek.
He is not likely to be able to 'fish support' from our 'old' site or poach or members but if he is willing to work as a team member we may have something to offer him.
Regards,

DBSilver
www.ProGGnosis.com
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2019 at 09:05
Well, Fred does want his own site, for his own reasons. He’s not actively looking for disgruntled PA people or to steal people from other sites - let’s be clear that I ever suggested anything like that.

I’ll run your post by him though, you never know...
ISKC Rock Radio
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 02:43
Angelo,

Never meant to imply you did.Wink

But disgruntled PA members can be good collabs, if only by their wish to start something anew
I'll send you in PM the two thread links I spoke of
Originally posted by DBSilver DBSilver wrote:

There have never been many of us at Proggnosis and we would absolutely welcome more contributors.  We say so on our site - and have posted the same in ProgressiveEars.
We are proud of our site and of the years of service we have provided to the prog community.

We have no advertisting and so I make not a dime off of Proggnosis. M@x and I chatted a number of times during the first years of PA.  
He couldn't believe we didn't try to make money off the site. He told me he was starting to make a lot of money.  But that is apparent by all the space allocated for ads on PA.

For Proggnosis, I pay for webhosting. I pay for database storage. I pay for bandwidth.  I do all the web site programming.
Our 'members/contributors' have menu options that allow them to directly update content on Proggnosis via their browser.
As of my last re-write a few years ago, we updated to C# .net MVC web site - one that is mobile friendly to boot! (try it on your phone or tablet!).
Next update will be to .net Core.
I am always open to suggestions for adding new features and functionality for either the current iteration of the site or for the next one.

Otherwise - he might consider that Proggnosis already has a modern site - a database with powerful search features and fully capable of meeting the needs for documenting and researching progressive and fusion music.  It also has a cadre of contributors and it's own technology geek.
He is not likely to be able to 'fish support' from our 'old' site or poach or members but if he is willing to work as a team member we may have something to offer him.

I'm glad you're still around because I'd kind of lost sight of your site... I remember sending funds to you for saving your site after a vicious hacker attack some 7 or 8 years ago.

IMHO, joining forces is the only thing doable or playable to have something built-up that would rival this place, which is ageing.

A lot of old PA members are still quite active on RYM, and that site doesn't serem to renew itself or make an effort is modernization, even if only on the surface.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>